PDA

View Full Version : Making PFs more trim.

KrisM
04-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for trimmer options for DS. He is such a light wetter, it seems odd to have all this bulk when it's not really needed. For example, today we were out shopping and he went about 2.5 hours between changes. The PF was only about 1/3 wet. Overnight, he only uses about 2/3 of a LJ night or a Cottonbabies.

Is there a fold that is better than the angel fold?

Or, I was thinking of copying Nita's idea and cutting down some premium prefolds to doublers and just using those in a cover. We might get more poop on the covers, but that would be okay.

Any other ideas?

toomanystrollers
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Kris,

Check out "trimming prefolds" at: http://diaperpages.com/trimming_pf.php

nitaghei
04-13-2005, 02:25 PM
The bulk was one reason I never felt the prefold love. Why not try cutting up one PF as an experiment? Just cut it in half - so you'll only have one raw edge to sew. Then double it up and put it in the cover. It it doesn't work - at most you'll lose one PF - which isn't that bad. :) And it'll still be a decent enough size to use as cleaning rag, so it won't be a total waste.

Actually - the more I think about this, the more I like it. I might try it to use with covers. That'll stop me from buying more fitteds, and spending $$$ I don't have. Plus I can get some use from all the PFs I already have sitting in the closet, and the embroidery floss in my sewing box. You know what- I think I'll try to cut up a premium PF tonight, and see how it works. :)

OMG - I just have to laugh. I'm sure the nuns who taught me to embroider in elementary school (so lady-like, my dear) never in a million years could imagine I'd use the skill to transform diapers!! :) :)

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

papal
04-13-2005, 03:11 PM
A bikini twisted prefold is the TRIMMEST thing out there!!! Seriously! I have no dipe trimmer than that! If only it provided enough absorbency for my medium-wetter, i would be set!!!

KrisM
04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll work on that one tomorrow. I tried it months ago and just felt like I couldn't get good coverage for the boy parts :). If a prefold doens't work for your medium-wetter, then I must have a super light-wetter! We still use regular prefolds, not even premiums!

Thanks for reminding me about the bikini fold. And thanks Pam, for that site. I might just try it out on a premium. I don't have enough regulars to risk cutting one up and hating it!

KrisM
04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll work on that one tomorrow. I tried it months ago and just felt like I couldn't get good coverage for the boy parts :). If a prefold doens't work for your medium-wetter, then I must have a super light-wetter! We still use regular prefolds, not even premiums!

Thanks for reminding me about the bikini fold. And thanks Pam, for that site. I might just try it out on a premium. I don't have enough regulars to risk cutting one up and hating it!