PDA

View Full Version : Wipes on a newborn tush?

barbarhow
04-14-2005, 07:18 PM
I had a friend who told me when Jack was born that I should not use any wipes at all on him until he was at least a month old. Is this true? I used soft cotton jersey that I cut up into squares and then washed but honestly wipes are pretty easy. Are the nonscented ones okay to use or should I really not be using them at all? TIA.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/6/05!

mudder17
04-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Personally, my doctor told me to just use water and a wash cloth. I guess maybe it depends on whether your baby is sensitive to the wipes solution? Newborn skin is so sensitive it's better to stick with plain water, according to my pede.

Anyway, your soft cotton jersey solution sounds like it worked just fine. You could always get a wipes holder and wet a bunch of your cloths ahead of time so it's just like using wipes. And the wipes can be washed with regular laundry, though if you're leery about newborn poop being in your wash, you can always rinse them off ahead of time. Newborn poop really just dissolves away.

ETA: personally, I LOVE my velour sherpa wipes. :P And the cloth wipes seem much more efficient than the disposable wipes--they're thicker and softer and usually bigger. I remember needing 5-6 wipes in the hospital to change a poopy diaper, compared to 1-2 cloth wipes at home.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

pritchettzoo
04-14-2005, 08:37 PM
I've read that too, but we used wipes anyway. We did get the Pampers sensitive skin kind, but wipes nonetheless. The ones in the hospital were incredibly harsh with an awful smell, so I used gauze and water in the hospital. I think it's just delicate skin can be dried out with the chemicals. If it doesn't bother Yankee's butt, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does, then you can use baby washcloths and not worry about buying anything special. One more thing to cross of the list!

Of course, if you hang around here long enough, we can convert you to cloth wipes and then cloth dipes...you could get a specially made Yankee baseball one. Am I tempting you? ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

rrosen
04-14-2005, 08:59 PM
We used the unscented wipes too and had no issue with them. You have enough to deal with those first few days, IMO.

A few things should be easy, right?

papal
04-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Is it time for a fluffy cloth-wipe intervention? :)
We used cotton balls and water in the hospital.. they said not to use wipes because it would dry the skin out.

kozachka
04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
I used wet washcloths for the first couple days. Than our ped recommended VIVA paper towels (they are cloth like) with warm water and that's what we used at home. Half the sheet was enough at the beginning. After few months I just washed DS' butt under the running water. We use Pampers Natural Aloe Touch unscented for the outings. They were also recommended by DS' ped as well.

Where we live you can get the best deal on VIVA towels at Target, they sell 6 rolls packages.

Marisa6826
04-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Barb-

I asked my Ped the same thing. She said the Pampers Sensitive ones were fine - in fact, she said they were her fave of all the wipes out there. I just picked up a box of the Sensitive wipes at BRU yesterday for $9. I think it had six packs in it.

We did use those little Chux for a couple weeks. I kept them by the changing table in one of those Glad disposable containers with just enough water to keep them moist.

-m

barbarhow
04-15-2005, 05:20 AM
I don't know Anna-you guys scare me...:-) I think cloth dipes might put me over the edge. I already do 12 loads of laundry a week. However, I do love the thought of a Yankee dipe. Would drive DH nuts!

barbarhow
04-15-2005, 05:21 AM
I guess I'll start with my little cloth ones and then move to the sensitive skin wipes. Another thing to add to my pick up before....list.

houseof3boys
04-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Barb we used the Costco wipes when we got home from the hospital with no probs on Riley's little tush. At the hospital, they used paper towel type cloths that you just wet with water.

I just think the Costco wipes are great because I just throw them in the same pail/bag as the dipes after I wipe her and they get washed along with the CD's. I used the "washed" wipes this morning to:

wipe the tv screen
scrub a spot on the kitchen floor
gave one to Ryan to clean up some water he spilled
clean the lint inside the dryer from a fleece blanket that I washed

as you can see, I actually do reuse the wipes and then toss them in the trash. Recycling is a great thing!