PDA

View Full Version : Stinky, Stinky Pail

KrisM
04-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Our pail is just reeking of ammonia. Yuck. Fortunately, it's only in the pail and not the whole room. But, it about knocks you over when you open it!

The only time DS stinks in diapers is in the morning with a 12 hour pee dipe on. Then, he too smells a bit like ammonia.

In searching, I think I just have to figure out how to make the pail less stinky, not necessary strip my diapers or anything. Sound right?

The pail itself isn't the problem - no stink empty. So, I'm thinking it's too air tight. I need to figure out a good way to get some circulation going on. I don't want to leave it open because who knows what will end up in there (toys, etc.).

Just thought I'd check in with the stink experts before trying to get rid of the wrong problem. Can't wait for the summer...I'm sure heat helps the ammonia smell :).

pritchettzoo
04-16-2005, 08:01 AM
What kind of pail do you have? Can you wedge something between the lid and the pail so it closes but doesn't seal? Or poke holes in the pail? If you have a cat, you can put a layer of kitty litter in the bottom. Or baking soda. Or newspapers. They all tend to absorb smells. That's why I stopped using a pail actually. I just use one of the MOE hanging bags (but DD isn't--knock wood--into putting random stuff in there).

You could also rinse out the offensive diaper to cut down on smells, but that may be more that you wanted to do first thing in the morning!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mudder17
04-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Kris, I find rinsing out the night time diaper to help. Also, I'm using PUL or nylon bags in my Dekors, so there is some breathing that happens. I also find tossing in a wipe with a little TTO/peppermint oil to really help.

ETA: Well, actually, I made an antiseptic spray with water, a tiny bit of Dr. Bronner's, some TTO and Peppermint oil and I use that to wipe down my toilet or pail after I use the minishower (and get overzealous, LOL) and the wipe that has the TTO and Peppermint oil is enough.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

KrisM
04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Lots of suggestions to try! Thanks.

I have a sterilite pail with a Bummi liner in it. I have 2 liners, so it gets washed every 3 days. I air out the pail for an hour or two while I'm doing laundry, too.