PDA

View Full Version : Melina Kristine is here--and in cloth!

Nora
04-17-2005, 12:31 AM
I know I do not post here so much these days--did too much $$$ damage hanging out here last month!! I just wanted to share our good news!

Melina Kristine was born Monday, April 11th at 10:49 pm. She was 8 pounds 12.8 oz and was 22 inches long and her head was 14.5 inches. She's so loved, healthy and beautiful and we know we are blessed to have received her into our family. Olivia is just loving her and gives her kisses upon kisses. She is also terribly facinated by breasts now! Grandma's, Aunties, home health nurses's, mine and even Melinas when we're changing her. I got to get this story down before I start forgetting details...hope there's not too many typos.

During my 39th week of pregnancy I was having trouble with high bp, swelling...was going in for regular NST's and mw visits. I was due on Friday April 8th and while my mw wanted to schedule an induction that day, I talked her out of it since NST was normal and my bp wasn't dangerously high. I had her strip my membranes since I felt I was looking at a possible induction anyways and was 2 cm and not effaced. I promised to check my bp often over the weekend and keep in touch and come in on Monday.

Anyways, Monday morning at 11am I did end up in the hospital hooked up to pitocin--my worst fear, since I had a terrible hyper-stim from it last time. The stripping (or just nature!) had helped my cervix to ripen-I was now dilated to 3 and 60% effaced--so I didn't need any prosteglandin gel. Mw promised that the pit and I would be monitored closely and they would use the lowest mls/hour to get things going.

Progress was slow (as we expected since I was on a low level of pit)-at 1pm I was still at 3cm but 70% effaced, so the mw did AROM and turned off the pit for awhile. This did hardly anything, and actually hours later she discovered that she had only ruptured the forebag. Pit back on and kicked up by 12mls/hr. At 6pm I was only dilated to 5 and 80%. During the whole day DH and I walked laps around the hospital floor and I used my body ball as well. Around 7pm cx started getting intense--I continued to stand and walk--actually it was uncomfortable to sit or lay down.

Around 10pm I knew I was in transition--very nauseated, vomiting, shaking and cx were the most intense. It was hard to relax and let them do what they were intended to do. I had had a epidural last time, so didn't really know what "labor" felt like, iykwim--I did my best to relax by listening to music and DH applied counter pressure to my hips during the cx's. The nurse then asked my if I needed to use the bathroom (pee) and I said that I actually felt like I needed to poop! I hear, "that's a good sign." Got up into the bathroom, couldn't pee and just sat there--so much more comfy than sitting on the bed or ball at that time. The nurse lefts the room and mw stood just outside of the bathroom. She told me to just do a gentle push like I was pooping with each cx and see what it felt like. It felt "wrong" when I first started doing it, so stopped. A few minutes later I could have sworn that I was pooping--but I really wasn't straining or pushing hard, since I was afraid to, not knowing if I was at 10 or complete. After about 15-20 min sitting on toilet, I asked mw to come in a check me, because I had started feeling burning. She gloved up and then yelled for DH to go out and get the nurses because her head was already 1/2 out of my perineum!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing--I thought I was just pooping!!!!! Suddenly the room was full of nurses. Normally mw would just have delivered on the toilet-or with me standing in bathroom--but because Olivia had had shoulder dystocia and they had to break her clavicle to get her out, she really wanted me in bed in case intervention was needed. It was sooooo hard to walk to the bed with a head hanging out of me. I was helped up into the bed and with the next cx, Melina Kristine was born--in 1 last push. Her forehead was pretty bruised-I guess form me walking with it stuck there. Her apgars were 9-9 and she just screamed at us. It is such a blur. I cried this time. DH didn't have time to even get the camera until after she was born. I needed 1 stitch for a superficial tear. I did need 2 Cytotec pills (I didn't know those went up your rectum) to help stop the bleeding after about 15 min of pretty severe bleeding. My tummy is bruised from all the pushing on my uterus to get it to contract.

Labor was so easy compared to Olivia. Even though I was planning an unmedicated-intervention free birth and ended up having to be induced and arom, it was so bearable when the pitocin is managed correctly. I feel I had the perfect birth I wanted and planned for, pitocin aside.

Nursing is going well, great latch and milk came in on night 2. She is a little jaundiced. We went into the clinic today for another weight check since she was just 1oz shy of the safe 10% weight loss and couple days ago. Yesterday, she was up 1 oz, and today up another 1.7ozs--so I'm relieved and happy with that.

KrisM
04-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Congratulations Nora! What a great story. I am glad you were able to be mostly unmedicated, as you wanted. I'm glad nursing is going well, too.

Can't wait to see some cute baby in cloth pictures!

BTW, I'm a Kristine. I don't see that very often at all!

toomanystrollers
04-17-2005, 05:05 AM
I just peeked at your new DD's pic on your website :) She's beautiful and congratulations!!

Can't wait to see some newborn little cd pics :)

kijip
04-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Love the pic on your website. I am glad all is going well.

brigmaman
04-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Congrats, Nora!! I just peeked at your website as well. Your family is beautiful! Enjoy!

Kate888
04-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Congratulations, Nora!! Thank you for sharing the great birth story with us! Melina and Olivia look so cute together! How adorable!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02 and Polo (my big black dog http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif
and "baby bear" (a BOY) due 5-11-05
http://lilypie.com/days/050511/0/12/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

nathansmom
04-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Congrats!!!!!!! Melina is a cutie.

tarahsolazy
04-17-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm glad you had such a great birth, despite the induction! I also peeked at your webiste, your girls are so sweet! (Handsome hubby, too!) Enjoy that little tiny CD bum, happy babymoon!

mudder17
04-17-2005, 12:18 PM
What a beautiful birth story and a beautiful baby! I'm so glad you had the birth you wanted. I think I've mentioned this before, but what a handsome hubby you have. I loved the pictures of your husband with Melina and of Olivia and Melina. So cute!

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see some fluffy butt pictures. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

american_mama
04-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Nora: Many congratulations! I emailed you privately a few weeks ago, but totally did not notice that you were 9 months pregnant and probably had other things on your mind. Reading your birth story, seeing the photos, and seeing the phrase "our girls" reminds me of my own situation a few months ago. It's a sweet sound and I wish your family the best.

squimp
04-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Congratulations! Melina is beautiful and I love the picture of her with sister Olivia. Thank you for sharing your story - and I'm glad things are going so well.

tbriese
04-17-2005, 10:45 PM
congratulations! melina is so pretty and the pic of olivia kissing her is great! i hope things continue to go so well for you :-)

nohomama
04-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Nora,

Congratulations many times over on Melina's birth. I looked at your website and, like her sister, she is a beautiful girl. I loved the picture of your husband and Melina. He looks like such the proud Papa. You must take some pictures of the proud Mama too!

Again, congratulations!

kthomp
04-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Congratulations Nora!!!!! Enjoy your little sweetie. :)

Nora
04-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the Congrats and compliments! We are just loving her so much!!

Karen - I apoligize that I didn't respond (get?) your email last month. I am usually good at checking it. Feel free to try again. So sorry--I wasn't ignoring you at all.

Puddy73
04-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Congratulations! I'm glad that you had a good birth experience and that nursing is going well. Melina is a cutie pie just like her big sis!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."