PDA

View Full Version : Shorts sizing for CDed babies

Saartje
04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
I bought Ishie some cute shorts/T-shirt sets. The shirts seem to fit fine in a 24-month size (and I think they'll continue to fit, since his growth should be mostly in height and not in girth for a long time to come, right?); but the shorts are rather tight around his cloth diapered bum, to the point that the waist (elastic) doesn't touch him because the rest of the diaper is pushed out by the diaper.

Lengthwise, they're fine; it's the width that is a problem. I understand that the only difference between 24 months and 2T is often that 2T is slimmer; would going up to 3T (yikes) in the shorts make them big enough? Or am I just out of luck on this brand/style of shorts fitting him? And if that's the case, where can I look for shorts that will fit? He's gotten to be a pretty skinny baby (IMO), but the diapers I use tend to be rather bulky; I'd rather not have to replace our beloved prefolds with some slim-fitting AIO. :(

tarahsolazy
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM
As you might imagine, Forrest has a similar problem with the fit of shorts and pants. I have found that only Naartjie woven stuff, ie jeans, poplin, twill stuff fits. They have great sales, and run big, a 12-18 mo would definately fit Ishie. www.naartjie.com I have also found that Hanna knit stuff works, I have a pair of striped beachcombers that fit. Other good stuff is Land's End knit clamdiggers. I just bought knit cargo shorts from Gymbo and Penny's that I think will work, but haven't tried those on yet.

Forrest's stats are below, he has a chunky butt and thighs, but is actually slim in the waist now.

sizes: LE-12-18mo (barely fit, go for the 2T-no 24mo)
Hanna: 80
Naartijie: 12-18mo, waist is slightly loose, and pants WAY to long on shortie.

Oh, and rompers! I got a Lands End one in 12-18 mo that fits well, very loose in the booty with plenty of grow room.

I really like the Burda pattern 2636 for pants, it fits very nicely over CD bums. If I need any nice shorts this summer for Forrest, I plan to make them with this pattern.

SeekerMage
04-19-2005, 12:37 AM
I second the knit shorts form JcPenney....I actually bought Lil'bit one of the boys outfits...Okie Dokie brand, its knit cargo shorts with a shirt with a frog on it both in lime green....they just had a sale buy one get one for a $1....and they are either 5.99 or 6.99 to begin with! otherwise they always have them 2 for 10$ quite often. She wore the outfit with her benjamuffin and cover (pretty bulky for us) and the shorts fit great.
They came in many different colors and the shirts had some REALLY cute designs, even cuter then the girls for once. For the price its definitely worth a try. :)

KrisM
04-19-2005, 07:48 AM
I've had good luck with Baby Gap brand. I'm not willing to pay that much for shorts or jeans though, so I'm scouring the mom to mom sales for them. The waist is still a touch big on him, but the butt isn't stretched tight, and they are easy to get on him.