PDA

View Full Version : stinky but clean diapers? and size of stash question

american_mama
04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
First, thanks to a switch to Tide Free and Clear, my diapers are getting clean now, but they have been smelling after the last few washes. Mostly, it's the pockets and covers that seem to retain some odor. Does this mean that my diapers really aren't clean? I do a soak, long hot wash, second rinse, and really do feel the diapers are clean. What can get ride of a little residual odor?

Second, what is the bad side of having a small stash? I have enough diapers to go 2-3 days, and then I have to wash the whole thing. For people who have more diapers, do you have lots of diapers just sitting there unused, since you wash, use your favorites, wash again in 2-3 days, and then re-use your favorites again?

Thanks.

new_mommy25
04-22-2005, 02:38 AM
I am a silly girl in that I use my least favorite dipes first and save the best for last! My prefolds and pockets rarely get used but sometimes I get into the "mood" for them and use them a lot. I go through phases. I don't think there is anything wrong with a small stash. When I first started CD'ing all I had was 6 SP's and a dozen prefolds and I just washed constantly!!

As for your stinky diapers, I'm not sure what the problem is. You might want to try scrubbing your pockets with some dish soap. I've heard that works well.

mudder17
04-22-2005, 06:07 AM
I actually wash diapers every 1-1.5 days, so either you have a larger stash or my loads are far smaller. Basically after 1-1.5 days, both Dekors are full and together they make a decent sized load.

In terms of the smell on the covers and pockets, it could be buildup on the PUL or fleece in which case, dishwashing soap sometimes takes care of it (just make sure you rinse everything out completely).

I don't do the soak, but I do a long hot wash with a second rinse, and then a shorter hot wash with second rinse, no detergent. That's my latest routine, anyway. I find when I don't do the second cycle, after a few washes, it starts to smell funky.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

nitaghei
04-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Try sunning the covers and pockets - if there's any sun where you are. :) I've found that I need to use Sportwash in the load every 5-6 weeks to get rid of the slight smell. I use Cheer Free otherwise. But sunning is the best thing, if possible.

No downside to having a small stash, other than more frequent laundry. In one way, I do have fair number of dipes (but less than many of the mamas here :) ) But I actually use almost every one regularly, other than couple that don't work for us - like the Benjamuffins and Sugarpeas - that I need to get rid of. I do wash twice a week (Wed night and Sunday afternoon) - because I really could not handle dipe laundry more frequently than that. Also, we have this HUGE old top-loading machine - and I can actually get that many dipes in to make a full load.

Not sure if that helps at all! :)

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

kitmama
04-22-2005, 08:35 PM
This Sportwash- haven't I read about problems that some people have had when using it for diapers? Have you experienced any problems with it? It seems a lot of people use it from time to time, but I'm sure I read about problems. . .

I'm glad this thread is here, because my laundry routine also seems to leave the diapers clean, but smelling ever-so-slightly-yucky. It's the same for cotton, hemp and PUL. I'd sun the diapers, but the pollen here is so bad right now that there's no point in trying it unless I just want to wash them over again. I'll do it this summer.

Until then, what sort of laundry boosters do people use to help get rid of that last little bit of stink? I've heard of the Sportwash, of course, and I'm thinking of trying Bi-O-Kleen's Bacout? I've also heard of using a touch of bleach from time to time, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. What about Oxy-clean on diapers? Is it OK for them? Would it work? Any other suggestions?

mudder17
04-22-2005, 08:49 PM
I think a few people had sportswash react with their babe's bum (Juliet?). But I assume if you do extra rinses, you don't have to worry about it? I just use Calgon every so often when I get that funny stink. And I do sun them in the window--probably not as great outdoors, but I don't have to worry about pollen or bugs. :)

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting

daisymommy
04-23-2005, 02:26 PM
For the last 2 years I have tried all different laundry detergents, and tried Tide Free 3 different times (for several months each time). I felt like I would get detergent build-up with the Tide, even though the water rinsed clean. It's like it would become attached to the fabric. But if I used the fragrance version, I couldn't stand the smell mixed with residual pee--yuck!

No matter what I used, I always had to do 2 plain wash cycles just to get all the soap out (I only used 1/4 capful to begin with!). Many times my diapers still smelled like poop :(

For the last 6 months I have been using 1/2 capful of Sportwash in the wash load, and it's working out great! No rash on Josh, no smelly hemp diapers, and I only do one extra rinse cyle so we are saving a ton in water. I feel like we have finally figured out something that works! Yahoo!

mudder17
04-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm sort of thinking I should go back to using Calgon regularly. Do you have a front loader? Do you do a cold rinse before washing or do you just start the wash on hot (which is what I usually do)?

Thanks,

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting

new_mommy25
04-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Amy, do you use sportswash alone with no additional detergent?

houseof3boys
04-24-2005, 09:52 AM
What a timely post since I am noticing that Ryan's FB's reek still after they have been washed!

Kit and I live in the same city where the pollen is unreal so I have to wash the dipes again if they are outside for even 5 minutes so we can't do that for a few more months here in the South. For now, I will try Calgon again and see if that helps with the stinky factor.

As far as the size of the stash, I use the least favorites last while the good ones are being washed. We are now exclusively FB's though since I can't get a handle on a cover that won't leak for Ryan's heavy pee!