PDA

View Full Version : Another cover dilemma...need advice!

Judegirl
04-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Okay, I'm trying the fitted route for summer, but can't decide what covers to get. The objective is breathability; otherwise, I'd stick with PUL pockets.

The last fleece I tried was a SP and I hated how bulky it was...is that the case with all fleece covers?

I've always broken out in a rash when I touched wool clothing (and I hate the way it feels.) But might there be some wool out there that feels different or something, that wouldn't cause a reaction?

I've heard nylon is breathable. Is this true? The only nylon covers I've seen are snap-EZ. Are there any others?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jude

stillplayswithbarbies
04-23-2005, 11:44 AM
The Green Earth covers are more breathable than ProRaps. This is my totally unscientific opinion based on trying to blow air through them. :)

You might like the BJ Marketplace wool covers. Read the reviews on them and research them at MDC to be sure you want to do business with them. I own two and have two more on the way.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

tarahsolazy
04-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Bummi's super whisper pants are a nice light nylon, with soft leg and waist bindings. They are a little poofy, but squish down under clothes well. Fleece is all pretty bulky, but I do use single layer Windpro covers from www.thecalicobaby.com and www.angeldrydiapers.com under pants and shorts, I just accept the bubble butt look.

papal
04-23-2005, 01:23 PM
What about trying the Staccinator Stretch Wool cover? It honestly does not feel like wool at all! If i didn't know, i would not have guessed it was wool. They do run a little on the big side.

daisymommy
04-23-2005, 02:12 PM
I am guessing that you tried a double layer Sugarpeas fleece cover--those are bulky! But the single layer ones are pretty trim and stretchy. I really like these.

As far as wool goes, I always thought I was allergic to wool too. I get itchy-scratchy just looking at a wool sweater :) But I have discovered that 95% of the time, the wool you and I think of is called "lambs wool". There are many other types of wool out there (obviously still from sheep, just different kinds). I haev let friends and family feel Joshua's jersey and merino wool covers, and asked them what they were made out of and they said fleece, cotton, or knit! No one could believe that wool could be so smooth and soft...very non-itchy! :)
So, look for Jersey or Merino wool: SugarPeas, Sugarbums, Staccinator, Bijoubabygear, Fuzeasy.com

Yes, nylon is breathable. My favorite are Bummis whisper pants. But there are other's out there. Look at pull-on covers at naturalbabies.com, as she has 2 other brands listed. One of them is in many colors.

kthomp
04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
For a super-cheap nylon pull-up, try the ones from BRU. I love them! They work great, I haven't had a leak yet. And they are around $5.00 for a two-pack if I'm remembering correctly.

They are sold under the Especially for Baby brand name and are the nylon pull-up style. You can find them with the cheapo gerber prefolds and the diaper pails.

HTH!

omgrown
04-23-2005, 09:11 PM
I just got a SugarPeas Stretch Wool cover ( I think its wool jersey). Its very soft and stretchy and not scratchy at all. DS was asleep before I opened the package so I haven't put it on him yet, but its so soft it almost feels like cotton. Might be worth a try. I'm also phasing out our FB's, I think they're just going to be too hot for summer.

Judegirl
04-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Separate washing w/detergent with lanolin, for example? I do coin-op wash, and can't do a separate load for wool dipes...does that prevent my using wool at all?

Thanks guys!
Jude

toomanystrollers
04-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Wool covers are washed by hand in the sink and then roll up in a towel to take off the excess water - then hang dry. :) - just a little Eucalan or other wool wash will do (do not use detergent or woolite - they will strip the lanolin out).

tarahsolazy
04-24-2005, 09:11 AM
And, unless they get poop on them, you only need to wash about once every 3-4 weeks, when they start smelling not so fresh, IKWIM? The hand washing takes literally 10 minutes, tops, and if you use a wool wash with a high lanolin content, you don't need to do a special "lanolizing" step. If you do wool, let us know. We'll send you to the right places for wool wash!

pittsburghgirl
04-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I have a SP merino cover which is trim, soft and not scratchy.

We are going to be using mylon pull on pants (bummis whisper pants) for summer outings over fitteds, under clothes. I am afraid to use my wool shorts and soakers in the car seat, I tried it once and they wicked from the compression. Around the house we'll use the wool.

I find the wool super easy to care for; don't have to wash often, then in the sink, hang to dry. I have some spray lanolin and also some wool buddies which I'll use for lanolizing, either or which looks simple.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png