PDA

View Full Version : Wool Sensitivity?

psophia17
04-29-2005, 12:49 PM
What would this look like? Also, what does a lanolin allergy look like?

DS has a rash from neck to thigh with slightly raised, small red blotches all over, except in the diaper area which looks as though the small red blotches met to form one big red blotch. He is also a little blotchy on his hands and feet.

Yesterday, DS wore his new wool soaker shorts, played in the rocks and dirt at the park, rolled around on the freshly cut grass, had flax seeds and oil for the first time (in bread), and I think FIL fed him sardines. Other possible culprits of a rash: last week he had his 15-month dr's appt and there were a couple of other kids in there; Monday was gymnastics, after which he came down with a low fever that lasted until Wednesday morning, but while he was slightly more cuddly than usual, he was acting normal.

I'm really hoping this isn't a wool/lanolin allergy...

pritchettzoo
04-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Name that rash! http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082900.asp

Some people are sensitive to wool, but since his rash isn't localized to where the shorts were, it sounds like it's probably something else. Did he have any wool sweaters this winter? Or is this the first wool ever to touch him? Wool blankets...

Lanolin--if you've ever used lotion on him without a reaction, it's probably not that. Lanolin is in most lotions, even some shampoos and things.

I hope you figure it out and he feels better soon. Sounds uncomfortable. :(

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

tarahsolazy
04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Man, I hope its not the shorts! I'd call the ped. It could also be a viral rash, if he had a fever until Wed. Sometimes with enteroviruses or roseola, the fever comes first, then goes away, then you get a rash, with no other symptoms. particularly roseola, tends to concentrate in the diaper area. Those viral rashes just go away without treatment, too. I hope he's feeling OK. Oh, and did he get any shots at his 15mo checkup? MMR, and the varicella shot can cause rashes, and they are sometimes given around then. The rash can appear up to two weeks after the shot. (In the US at least, I don't know the Canadian schedule)

psophia17
04-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Well, since DS had all the symptoms of and a rash that looks just one I found a picture of, I'm going to assume it's roseola and not worry about it. I figure he caught it at the Ped's office early last week.

I'm going to save the next wearing of his woolies until the rash is completely gone, though, just to be safe.

psophia17
04-29-2005, 04:33 PM
I've decided it's roseola - DS has all the right symptoms, and the timing works, too - it just coincided with the shorts, which got MIL and DH up in arms, and I'll admit I was worried, too, since it was definitely worse in the diaper area. But I wasn't that worried, since it wasn't bad around his waist and thighs, which is where the wool actually was in contact with.

The Cdn schedule for shots is the same as the States, I think, but at his appt. I refused his shots, particulalry the chicken pox one, since DS was just coming off a really bad teething/no sleeping weekend...can you just imagine, chicken pox and roseola at the same time? Ewww!