PDA

View Full Version : I've got wool...now what?

jenjenfirenjen
04-29-2005, 05:25 PM
So I got a Stacinator regular wool cover and one of the strech wool covers. What do I need to do with them before putting on DS? Do I prewash? What do I wash them in? They came with this little bar of wool wash but I'm not sure what to do with it. Help!

Also, this stretch cover is unreal how soft it is. It feels like a t-shirt. Is this seriously going to contain wetness???

Thanks for your help!!!

mudder17
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Uh...wash it? I was so excited to get my stretch wool that I put it on Kaya right away. It did okay, although when she was smushed in a car seat, I did get wicking. I have since washed it and I still get wicking when she's smushed in a car seat. So the stretch cover does contain wetness, but not when she's smushed in a car seat (hee, hee, that sounds so funny).

Okay, so to wash your wool. Run your sink full of tepid water and rub the soap under the running water so that the soap solution makes it into the sink. Soak the covers in there for at least 15 minutes. Drain (don't rinse or the lanolin will be washed away), gently squeeze out most of the water, then roll in a towel. Hang to dry.

It looks like my Angel Dry cover is much better at containing wetness, but the Stacinator stretch does well when she's just crawling around the house. And it's so trim! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

papal
04-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Wow... Luke is up there on the percentile charts eh? Leela is (at 18 months) 30.5 inches and 20.5 pounds. lol.

Anyway, I too don't wash when i first get the dipe.. heeheee.. too lazy. But yes, there is wicking with smushing in car-seat.. but otherwise, it does great! :)

mudder17
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Hee, hee, Kaya's half an inch shorter and half a pound lighter. I often think of Leela and Kaya's older twin. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

pritchettzoo
04-29-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't know if they're pre-lanolized, but I would probably lanolize them first. Washing them with wool wash isn't the same as lanolizing. Some wool wash contains lanolin, but the most I've seen any wash to have is WOW with 50%. Euclan (a commercial wool wash) is more readily available, but some people don't like the smell. Liquid wool washes usually contain more lanolin than bars (because they would mush and not solidify if they had too much lanolin).

I just use baby wash/shampoo (right now I have some Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild, but J&J works fine) and liquid lanolin, which is available in the health area of a Whole Foods type store. Lansinoh (the nipple cream) is lanolin, it's just a little harder to work with. My method: wet wool thoroughly with warm water. Set aside. Fill a basin or bowl big enough to completely submerge the items with warm water. Microwave a mug of water for a minute or two. Add your lanolin (tsp-tbsp or so, depends on how much water you're going to use and how many covers) and a squeeze of soap to the hot water. Stir. The water will turn white. Dump it in the basin and swish around. The water shouldn't be uncomfortably hot on your hands--you don't want to felt the wool! Add your wool and soak. If you need to wash it, you can add a little more shampoo to the water to get a little suds going. Otherwise, the soap is only used to distribute the lanolin through the water.

To use your bar to wash, you make suds with it in the water. You're not supposed to scrub it directly against the wool because it can felt. I've never used a solid wool wash before--if the sample came with a website, check it out for better directions.

HTH???

Oh, and is the stretch cover trim? Sounds interesting!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

papal
04-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Anna, I think I am going to put my Stacci stretch wool on SWAP because it is too large on leela... i got the Medium staci day/night and that seems to fit better. if you want it, let me know.. i will pop it in the mail.

pritchettzoo
04-29-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm emailing you. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)