PDA

View Full Version : how to clean diapers when starting solids? Guaranteed TMI!

american_mama
04-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Annelise has just started solids, and her poops changed quickly. Now how do I clean the diapers? The poop is way too mushed to shake off easily into the toilet, but the volume is greater now too, so it doesn't seem right for them to go straight in the washing machine like the exclusively breastfed poopy ones. I have been just cleaning the poop off with a wipe as best I could, throwing the wipe out, and then just putting the diaper in the pail and later washing them as normal.

I had envisioned going from breastfed poop to solid poop that I could easily shake in the toilet, but I can see that is not going to be the course. For any mamas who want to share their own TMI about disposing of poop, I am all ears!

pritchettzoo
04-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Fleece liners really help! Grab some fleece from the fabric store and cut into the shape of your choice. I like using a Joey Bunz as a template, but it may be too big if your baby is just starting solids--lay one inside a diaper before you cut out a bunch and then are ticked at me. ;) The poop seems to peel off the fleece better than the diaper material. I like the no-pill fleece available at JoAnn's, but it really doesn't matter what kind you get.

Then there are rice paper liners which can be flushed (provided you're not on a septic system) if they're pooped on or washed if they're just peed on.

THEN there's the mini shower. I believe www.lilbunz.com usually has the best price including shipping, but I haven't priced them lately.

And the technical term is peanut butter poop. It's discussed here all the time, don't worry about TMI! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

KrisM
04-29-2005, 10:25 PM
For that stage, I really liked the flushable liners. It made clean up a LOT easier. Mine are Imse Vimse brand and they work pretty well. I think I get 3-4 uses out of them if they are just peed on.

DebbieJ
04-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Mini Shower!

Today my 3 yo nephew called it the "poop washer" as he watched me spray a dirty dipe. LOL!

~ deb
DS 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

mudder17
04-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Mini shower, baby!

The only trick these days is keeping Kaya from trying to butt herself in between me and the toilet so she can play with the water (yuck) while I'm spraying. :D

(Oh, and I do use fleece liners, which spray off more easily.)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

american_mama
04-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh, I *am* using the fleece liners for the stay dry properties. It's the smushy aspect of the poop that is the problem, no matter what it's stuck to. I am having trouble thinking that a minishower can get smushed poop off. I think I posted about that once before.

Maybe - horrors - I will have to try dunking and swishing in the toilet as a test of what the minishower might be able to do. But the rice liners are sounding good. A British CDing mama told me I could use "good quality toilet paper," I guess as a type of flushable liner. I guess that would destroy any dry feeling provided by the fleece.

BTW, at the hospital where Annelise was born, they give what
i think were minishowers/personal spray nozzles to every woman who delivers. I used it in the hospital, but couldn't figure out how to attach it at home or what I would use it for (I wasn't CDing then)... and I threw it out! Doh!

mudder17
04-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Believe it or not, the minishower does work--DD's poop is definitely in the same stage, since she's pretty much on solids for all her meals, but she BF's A LOT! It does take some practice, though. But I find that the minishower has a much easier time spraying off fleece than it does any of the other materials.

When I was on vacation and forgot the minishower, I just picked up the fleece liner and dunked, swished, scrubbed and then rinsed in the sink. Yeah, it sounds kind of gross, but some how it didn't faze me at all. Must be because I've survived two bouts of stomach flu with CDs. :P

Doh, on tossing out the minishower! That's really cool that they provided that at your hospital. Ours gave us a peri bottle, and a sitz bath attachment thingy, but that wouldn't help with some of DD's diapers! I do use mine for dispensing baby bits solution on my wipes, though. Very handy. :)

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting

steph2003
04-30-2005, 04:13 PM
the mini - shower does help although I have to say my water pressure still doesn't seem to be enough to spray it all off. And like Eileen mentioned I now have to wrestle with DS as I try to clean off diapers & he wants to play in the toilet. Ick. I've been too lazy to cut out fleece liners but I may try that next. I have to say the peanut butter poops (in my case more than 1x a day!) takes a lot of the fun of CDing for me personally. Some people say you just get used to them but I still dread a poopy CD & having to clean it.

While we are talking poop - when does it get really solid, plop off into the toilet consistency?

and when do they go down to 1 poop a day? or do they ever?

mudder17
04-30-2005, 04:33 PM
I find that the poop consistency often depends on what she's eaten and how well she's chewed it. It may sound gross, but I've seen pieces of peas, edamame, and carrots in there! I should probably give her more cheese and bananas, but I'm sort of nervous about doing that because she went through a phase around 4-5 months when she was going once every 10 days. Still, maybe feeding Griffin more bananas and cheese would help solidify things a bit?

Right now Kaya is going 1-3 times a day. Maybe once every dozen poopy diapers I get one that peels off and plops.

Steph, how are you handling the current round of colds? Kaya's been nursing a runny nose for the last 8-9 days and I'm starting to wonder if it's allergies instead of a cold. She had a fever (low-grade) on the first day or so, but it's been normal ever since.

ETA: Oh, and Steph, I know you have a minishower now, but maybe you should break down and get rice paper liners so you can just dump most of it and be done with it and only have to spray if it gets on the diaper a little.

Eileen

steph2003
04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
He gets a banana every day (nearly every day!) for breakfast & ya know what? it does not constipate him like other people have said it would. The cheese does make things more solid & he would eat that all day long if I let him but I'm not sure how much is too much, YKWIM? I should just break down & buy some rice paper liners!

fortunately what I thought was a cold from our house guests seems to really be teething related at this point & I'm hoping it does not turn into a full blown cold! We had a first molar pop thru - exciting stuff! Mostly he has been really healthy since I have been staying home - yea!

mommyj_2
04-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Get a mini shower! They are life changing. LOL

pittsburghgirl
05-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Mini shower. I went without for a couple of months and it is my most valued CD purchase.

BTW, James is 15 months and only eats finger foods, drinks some milk and a lot of water and his poop is still about half and half between nice solid and sticky peanut-buttery. It really depends on what he ate that day, I think. He eats a banana for breakfast every day.

TMI but I can tell he still doesn't chew a lot of his food. :)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png