PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Getting Back into CD'ing DD - 2 Year Old

westgre
05-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, I did CD DD for abour 8 months, then life got very hectic. Now that things have quieted down some, I'm thinking of getting back on the CD bandwagon -- at least at home.
Questions:
1. I'm trying to think of the easiest and cheapest route to start with and add more expensive things along the way. Can you really use a PF trifolded in a wrap for a toddler without securing the diaper? If this works, it sounds like an easy way to change a toddler -- no slower than a disposable. But, it's also cheap so I don't suppose it actually works for active toddlers?
2. Any other ideas for a quick change on a toddler? We tried FB when we CD'd before and they always leaked. Didn't try any other pockets, though. Most of our stash was Kissaluvs. I liked the fitteds, but I'm concerned I might not be able to get DD to sit still long enough to put a diaper and a cover on.
Any help or advice is appreciated. DD is 28 months old and 30 pounds. I haven't measured her yet.
Thanks,
Gretchen & Lyra (12/30/02)

SeekerMage
05-01-2005, 11:40 PM
I think that the trifolds in a cover will work well. When we are out of pockets we actually trifold a microfiber towel and put a peice of fleece over it inside a cover and it works really well. Just make sure to get a cover with the gussets, or whatever those extra holder inner things they have. As for the fitteds and covers, try laying the fitted in the cover when you put it on her then quicly close the one and then the other. Seems to work well for us. That and having things to keep those hands busy helps. Our latest is a babywipe that I have her either help wipe her bum, or wash her hands and face. works most of the time. HTHs.

mommyj_2
05-03-2005, 12:45 PM
PFs tri-folded in a cover will definitely work for a toddler. I use this on my DS when his training pants are all dirty. My DS is insanely active, and it works just fine on him. The key is making sure you have a cover that fits well. It has to be a snug fit for the dipe to stay in place really well. Also, I would recommend using a snappi for nap-times, just because a snappied prefold won't leak if they're sleeping on their sides for a long time.
Another good option is a fitted under a nylon pull on pant (like the whisper pants). This takes a little longer than the tri-folded prefold, but it's also harder for them to take off themselves when they're in the toddler--want-to-be-naked mode.

toomanystrollers
05-04-2005, 05:21 AM
I didn't cd our son until he was 2 - his stash was primarily Motherease sandies, airflow covers & some Happy Heiny pocket dipes.

Right now, my favorite for our dd (almost 2), who is a beast to change, are the Bumkins AIOs. They're super trim & I throw in a fleece-topped doubler and no leaks so far :)

HTH