PDA

View Full Version : Serger rec please!

psophia17
05-02-2005, 11:36 PM
For someone who was a firm believer in Pampers to do a 180 and open a CD store is kinda nutty...but it's happened.

But before I can officially start, I need a serger - does anyone have a recommendation for a particular model and/or a good place to get one from? I've used a bunch of different kinds before, but it was years ago...

Who woulda thunk it?

pritchettzoo
05-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Again, I'd check MDC if you haven't already. The serger topic comes up often in the Sewing area. Sorry to sound like a broken record.

Oh, on the boards, I think Bethann31 (maybe mixing up her username?) has one that she's recommended before. Maybe it's in the craft forum? Might have been before that existed.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mama2kyla
05-03-2005, 01:26 AM
you cant go wrong with a new home and they are fairly inexpensive :) A lot of people also like the brother 1034D ( i think thats the model number) but its loud... but also inexpensive, lol.

searchdog
05-03-2005, 07:12 AM
I can tell you that you get what you pay for. I have a serger and it can't handle diaper fabrics well at all. It is a stretch to try to do more than about 3 layers of anything. I talked to the guy at my repair shop and he said that I would be better off getting a used industrial machine if I was going to run a business. So you might want to look into an industrial machine, used they aren't that much more expensive than a "good" home use machine $700-$1000. (Way more money than I could handle, so I have to make do with what I have)

todzwife
05-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I bought the Brother 1034D at wal-mart and killed it trying to do some 3 layer hemp 1 layer micro doublers...:( So DH let me get a NEW one and I bought a Janome off ebay- brand new and it is SO much better, and it didn't cost much more than the Brother :) Hope that helps, I can look for the seller on ebay if you want.

psophia17
05-03-2005, 05:42 PM
That'd be great - I've been hunting on eBay all afternoon, after pricing out new machines locally...holy crap is all I have to say to that! :)

todzwife
05-03-2005, 11:25 PM
I have the 634D But just do a search and you can find some Janome's for under $300. :) They are good machines.

mama2kyla
05-04-2005, 12:31 AM
I had a 634D but hated it for sewing diapers so I sold it.. it was loud and wouldnt go through more than 3 layers... drove me crazy. But others love it so I think mine may have been a lemon or something. I got my new home 534D(made by janome) from a seller named easyterms. I am not sure if he still sells or not but he was a licensed janome/new home dealer :) I can sew through anything with it... i often do 4 layers of hemp, 3 layers of corduroy, etc...