PDA

View Full Version : Stretch/jersey wool: I must respectfully disagree...

Judegirl
05-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi all. I'll be back soon with LOADS of cd and mama cloth reviews, but in case there's anyone else like me out there, I feel compelled to address the case I've frequently seen made that jersey or stretch wool (like the Stacinator stretch) is soft (like a t-shirt.)

I bought both the thinner one-layer and the newer Day/Night two-layer, having heard that some people don't even recognize the fabric as wool. Granted, they're far softer than lots of other wool (I bought a Tiny Hinnies wool cover too - THERE'S some wool for ya!) but I maintain that they are *unmistakably* wool from the moment of contact.

I'm sensitive to wool, and I'm weird about fabrics anyway. But when I touched them, it was like nails on a chalkboard to me - total heebie-jeebies, just like with regular lambswool. Then I put them around my neck for awhile, just to see whether I'd break out (I did, in about 4 minutes, with each one.)

I've seen others who don't like wool ask about these...just wanted to weigh in and say to other woolophobes...ICKY ICKY ICKY it's still wool!

No offense to the woolophites, of course! They're nice-looking covers; wish I could touch 'em. :)

Best,
Jude

mudder17
05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Sorry it didn't work out. :( So I guess that means you definitely have an allergy to the wool, not just an aversion. So is the Day/Night just two layers of the regular stretch? In other words, do they seem like the same material otherwise? I'm wondering if I should have gotten the day/night instead because of Kaya's heavy soakage. I guess you just have to stick with fleece, nylon, and PUL. By the way, have you ever touched the BJ Marketplace ones? Those have been superwashed, I believe the term is, and would be very different from any of the other wool, including the stacinators. I wonder if it's the wool or the lanolin?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Judegirl
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Eileen,

No, the Day/Night seems like a slightly thicker fabric, slightly less stretchy. It 's very thin - seems like a great cover, really; I'm pretty bummed. Yes, I read that the stretch isn't great for a heavy wetter, but I figured it'd be better than no cover at all, so I bought it. Does Kaya soak right through hers?

I'm going to keep them around for a few days; maybe it's one of those faimilarity-things, where if I keep touching it, wit will stop bothering me? LOL! It's weird, though - the Little Hinnies, which I think is pretty wooly, is not causing me to break out at all. It feels different that the Stacis- not softer, but with fewer sharp things that stick out, if that makes sense.

I totally don't get it. I'm not allergic to SHEEP! LOL.

I went looking for the BJ marketplace ones, but I could only find soakers or pull-ons. Not ready for that yet - seems so radical, LOL! Do they make wraps?

Thanks!
Jude

Saartje
05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
>It's weird, though - the Little
>Hinnies, which I think is pretty wooly, is not causing me to
>break out at all. It feels different that the Stacis- not
>softer, but with fewer sharp things that stick out, if that
>makes sense.
>
>I totally don't get it. I'm not allergic to SHEEP! LOL.

Jude -- do you have any clue what kind of wool the Stacis vs. the Little Hinnies are made from? I bet they're made with different types of wool -- either from different breeds of sheep, or one is combed more thoroughly than the other (removing the larger hairs that will feel like sharp things poking you if you're sensitive to that), or both. A really fine, high-quality wool might be the solution to this for you; alternatively, superwash wools might feel better to you, as Eileen recommended.