PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of fleece for covers?

Judegirl
05-04-2005, 07:28 AM
I need to make a decision about returning a cover this morning...is Windpro better for covers, or regular fleece? I have a Green Acre cover I can't make up my mind about; thanks in advance if you can help!

Thanks,
Jude

bcky2
05-04-2005, 07:38 AM
no advice but i have been wondering the same thing. i have been wondering if i want to buy the blue windpro cover she has but am worried about it holdning up. it says it is one layer windpro. what cover do you have?

JBaxter
05-04-2005, 07:48 AM
I have 2 windpro covers that I purchased from calico baby. They are only about 2 weeks old but right now they are my favorite. I washed them 2x so far ( and they are in the wash right now) I hung them up to dry and they still look like when they came. ( No pilling) I have used them on DS at night with a prefold and a micro fiber insert and though he isnt a heavy wetter his jamies have not been wet in the mornings. I dont have any regular fleece but I do like my windpros but I am FAR from experienced at CDing.

Jeana

mudder17
05-04-2005, 07:57 AM
I have windbloc, 200wt and 300wt fleece. If I recall correctly, this is what Rebecca Reilly told me when I asked her question about the differences:

The numbers correspond to weight of the fabric. 200 is the most
lightweight, and is what most polar fleece clothing is made from. That weight offers the best color and print choices. It's very breathable and works well as long as the soaker isn't sopping wet. Stacinator uses this same fleece for their fleece covers (we even have some of the same prints).

300 is a bit more dense, thicker, and a bit more water resistant (think of a heavier weight fleece jacket). Lightweight windpro is very thin but the threads are knit very closely together. It's smooth on both sides (usually) and works well for diapers with minimal bulk. Midweight is about twice as thick (bulkier) and more moisture resistant. Windpro is less breathable than 200 or 300, but more water resistant. Windpro is made to be the outer layer of a fleece jacket and as the name suggests, offers some protection from wind and cold.

Does this help a little Jude? I will say that my 300 works great for night and my 200 works great during the day. Since I haven't tried Windpro covers, though, I can't say for certain how they compare. Windbloc is very water resistant, but I think it's a bit stiffer than the others.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

KrisM
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a SP fleece, which is regular fleece and like it. I think if it were Windpro though, it would be more waterproof and maybe I could use it in the car without worry of compression wicking? Just a thought. I haven't tried Windpro yet. I also have some pockets that are 200 weight regular fleece that I use for night with no problems.

I don't know if that helped at all :).

Oh, I have some Windpro material that I intend to make into a cover as soon as I get around to it.

mudder17
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow, Andrew is definitely bigger and more advanced than Kaya was at 1. :) She still doesn't walk and she's just hit 20 pounds. But her second word is "shoes" (first was "cat") and she signs "baby" like a pro. :D (she can also sign "more" but she does it by clapping her hands).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

nitaghei
05-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I have several pockets, and a Sugarpeas cover, made with 200 weight fleece. The bulk of our night dipes are 200 weight fleece, and we have been pretty much okay. There can be some compression wicking if the diaper/inserts are sopping wet. I've only had that problem once or twice. But DS is not a super soaker.

Recently, I got a lightweight Windpro cover. This is much thinner than the 200 weight. So, a *much* trimmer cover. I've using it for day with my cut up prefolds with no problems.

Other than that - what Eileen said about breathability.

HTH

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

KrisM
05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Well, Andrew started out at 9 lb 6 oz, so I imagine he had a good start on Kaya!

He doesn't really say anything yet, but has sounds that are repeatable and understandable to DH and me. Cheese and keys, and yes they sound slightly different. He signs more, water, eat, and shoes (which means go outside).

Does Kaya stand up by herself yet? Like in the middle of the floor? Andrew doesn't do that and doesn't even try.

tarahsolazy
05-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I have both, and I prefer the windpro, or two layers of really thin fleece, which is what my Loveybums cover is. A midweight windpro is very trim, and I have no problems with wicking at all. His skin is cool under the dipe, which is how I judge breathability, so it seems pretty breathable. I haven't tried it in the carseat, so I don't know about compression. He can nap on his belly in it for an hour or so with no wicking. (I wish we could have a LONGER nap test, but he's not a big napper)