PDA

View Full Version : recipes for wipes solutions? Sensi-clean?

knaidel
05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Anyone know any recipes for wipes solutions? Can anyone post a link? (I know that I can use just plain water with baby wash or something, but I happen to have apricot kernel oil and TTO in the house, so I want to make use of them!
Also, other than ordering online, is sensi-clean sold a brick and mortar stores? I know you can get sportwash at wal-mart, but I hate wal-mart. Is it available at stores like whole foods and trader joes?

Saartje
05-09-2005, 12:13 AM
I'll give you my recipe:

Teaspoon-ish of baby wash.
1 drop of mixed lavender essential oil/tea tree oil.
Enough water to fill the wipes warmer almost to the top.

When I have it, I sometimes add a scant teaspoon of Burt's Bees apricot baby oil. I don't know anything about apricot kernel oil, but remember that the essential oils are VERY strong, so one drop per batch of wipe solution is plenty.

knaidel
05-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Thank you. Thats what I was looking for...so its mostly water with just a bit of other things. Someone once told me that she uses 1 part baby oil to 1 part water. While that sounds fine when you're using Johnson's baby oil (2.59 for a large bottle at Tar-jay), if you're using Baby Burt's or something, well, it becomes a pretty expensive solution! Anyway, I think someone else on this board told me not to use baby oil because its a petroleum based product. I don't know the details of why exactly that's bad, but I get the picture.
FYI: for anyone who is interested, I think that within the next few days, someone over at the Diaper Pin will be organizing a Burt's coop. Prices will be 50% off retail, plus shipping.

calebsmama03
05-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Yikes! 1 part to 1 part?!? That is for sure a LOT of oil. Less is more for sure. I also will sometimes do a drop or 2 of Dr. Bronner's soap in the mix.

As for why petrolium is bad, it's 2 fold really 1 - the general overdependence on foreign oil and 2 - the chemicals are absorbed by the skin and many petrolium derrivatives have been found to be quite harmful or carcinogenic.

For Sensi clean, this is the same exact product as Sport Wash, which is available at Walmart. It is in the camping gear section and comes in an 18oz bottle for somewhere between $3-4, has a BRIGHT orange label and pictures of hunting apparel on the bottle.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple due 5/21/05 - 37 weeks we made it!!!!