PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Champ v. Diaper Dekor v. Safety 1st Neat System

Twins2000
05-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi All,

Which pail do most of you ladies find to be the best? In Baby Bargains, the Fields give the Champ the highest rating followed by the Dekor, and the Neat System was poorly rated (has it broken on any of you?). However, after reading some posts on this topic here and in other forums, the Champ was looked down upon for smelling too much and the Neat System was absolutley loved for it's not smelling at all.
Any experienced opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Leslie

jhaud
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
we use disposables and have been using the dekor since the beginning. haven't had any problems with it. we have a small house and were doing most of dd diaper changes in the living room on the floor, and so the dekor was in there (somewhat hidden in corner) until recently and never noticed the smell... until it was opened to put the next one in!

danagee
05-11-2005, 07:59 PM
we're in a 2 story home and I have the Champ upstairs and the Dekor Plus downstairs. They're both really nice, it's a close call on which is better.

I prefer the Champ because it seem easier to use and I dont think it smells. It does smell, however if you don't change after a while, but any pail will. You can use your own trash bags in it and it's easy to change.

The Dekor is okay, but I dont like the fact that if you don't deposit something heavy into it, you have to actually push down the flaps using your hands and I just dont like touching any part of a trash/diaper can! Plus, it sometimes smells when you open it to deposit a diaper.
The bags they use have a scent to them and after using the pail for a while, my mind now automatically just relates that smell to dirty diapers and I'm kind of grossed out by their scent!
The Dekor can be used as a trash can once you're finished with diapers, but I dont know where I'd use it again. Oh, and keep in mind that you have to use their refills even after your finished using it for diapers. (refills are here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005V9NX/104-0741475-1808766?v=glance).
I think the Dekor is easy to change too.
One last thing on the Dekor, it's possible for a crawling baby to actually open the front lid, which could possibly present a hazard because there's a small razor-like cutter inside the lid that's used to cut the bags.
Dana

mudder17
05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Actually, one thing about the Dekor--you don't have to use their liners. I CD and I use regular wet bags as liners and don't see any reason why you couldn't use regular trash bags, as long as you got an appropriate size. They just SAY you have to use their liners. :) And of course, if you don't use their liners, you can easily unscrew the cutting part. So since you have one already, you may want to do that when you run out of liners. :)

That said, if I were do it all again, I might be tempted to get a couple of Sterlite, foot-pedal trash cans for my CDs, since I don't have to worry about odor. They would have been much cheaper!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

christymc33
05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
We have the Dekor and really like it. Our dd is 3 months, and so far its been great. Haven't had any really smelly diapers yet though. I can say that it is really easy to use, and works great for us.

psophia17
05-11-2005, 11:05 PM
We had the Diaper Champ, and it was great. It only got stinky once solids were introduced, and we got around that by dumping and flushing the poop. Once we started doing that, there was no reason for sposies not to go in the regular bathroom trash, and we gave the Champ away.

Also, if you don't use an actual diaper pail, you're less likely to have a lot of stinky diapers accumulate in one place, so the stink is a little less than it would be.

danagee
05-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes, I've also used my own bags in my Dekor, but it's just so much more convenient to use their bags and a little more inconvenient to get in there & wrap your own bag around that circular thingy!
I do agree, though that they're definetly great for cloth diapering.
Dana

KBecks
05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I really like my Dekor and have no regrets. The refills are a little pricey, but the pail has been great. It's easy to use and easy to refill.

The only time it gets stinky is if one of the flaps is not closed all the way. This happens if you try to overfill it or if a diaper is not pushed all the way in. I'd recommend getting the larger capacity + system, as even that fills up quickly. I'd say we empty ours 2x per week, and use a refill about every 4-6 weeks.

DS is eating solids and there's no doubts the poops are smelly. I think the Dekor does a great job.

supercalifragilous
05-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I've only had a Diaper Genie before that and I absolutely HATED the smell of the perfumed bags and the fact that I had to change them out ALL the time. So I went looking for the biggest non-smelly trash can out there where I could use regular store-bought bags and there was the Diaper Champ.

I love ours and i love that DD can't get "in" it. I think it's a little tippy so I put ours up against the wall. I noticed at our local Babies R Us and church actually use them in their changing rooms too. It really eliminates any smell and it has a good capacity. Now it DOES smell when you change out the bags (what pail doesn't?) but that's DH's job (heh heh heh) so I don't mind! :) (I have a SUPERsensitive gag reflex) I wish I had bought it sooner when DD was an infant and going through diapers like crazy (hence changing out the Diaper Genie like every 2 days)!

Twins2000
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Thank you to all of you for your opinions and experience with those diaper pails. I notice that nobody mentioned the Neat Diaper Disposal system by Safety First. Does anyone here use it or have ever used it? Thoughts, opinions??? Thanks again!

Leslie