PDA

View Full Version : I need new covers. Help me pick some.

KrisM
05-12-2005, 12:20 PM
I, well DS, am in need of new covers. We have some large Bumpy that are really getting short in the rise. We have some large Bummis that are way poofy and leave marks on his thighs. We have a medium ME AF that is too small. We have a medium SP fleece that is really nice, but a tad short in the rise and on the tightest snaps. We have a large Lovey Bums fleece that just doesn't cover a prefold that well.

I thought about more ME AF, but it does, and always did, leave marks from the snaps. I'm considering Angel Dry PUL snap covers because the snaps are covered. I haven't read anything about those though.

What else should I consider? No wool, please. They will only be used over prefolds.

nitaghei
05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Are you looking for PUL only? Is fleece an option? I have Angeldry wool and fleece, and I am very pleased with those. No red marks.

I don't know a lot about covers - but I was looking at the Cherry Bomb Baby site

www.cherrybombbaby.com

The AIOs and pockets have hidden snaps - maybe the covers do, too? The price looks really good, too.

Also, possibly - Buck Eye bottoms/ Earth seedlings:

http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=90102&vid=41

but I can't tell whether the snaps are covered.

Okay, I really need to get back to work. :) Not that I've helped much!

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

KrisM
05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Fleece is an option. I just don't do wool, because I am allergic. But, I think I also need PUL for car and stroller rides, too.

It doesn't need to be snaps - Velcro works for us, too.

The prints at Cherry Bomb didn't do anything for me. The cars and trucks at Buck Eye Bottoms was cute, but I think I'd need a medium. I'll keep that one in mind though.

Thanks for the links.

nitaghei
05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
If velcro is okay - definitely give Angeldry a try. Steph's customer service is awesome! And she's fast. She also has heavy Windpro, if you're concerned about compression wicking. I've actually used the lightweight Windpro (and the stretch wool) for a 40 minute car ride with no problems.

Nita (wool is my crack)

pritchettzoo
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Sugarpeas fleece is dependable--you know what you're going to get.

www.thecalicobaby.com makes affordable fleece covers. My medium was too small, and Gracie's having the same problem with the Bumpy and medium MEAF that your DS is, so you'd probably want to go with a large. I'm waiting on my exchanged large to come in.

MEAF is a workhorse, and they have a M/L size that works well for us. We don't have the red mark problems though.

I just got a PUL cover from http://www.wigglewormbottoms.com/store/ as a gift, and it is extremely well made. It has aplix with fold back tabs. The stitching is perfect on it. The PUL is sandwiched between an outer print and an inner layer of what I think might be microsuede? It has little ridges but is really soft. Elmo gives it a thumbs up. ;) And it gets good reviews on MDC. It's a medium. I tried it on Gracie over a firefly and it worked, but if I had gotten the cover for her I would get a large.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25641.jpg

If you want to try a knitted or crocheted soaker just for kicks, there are some people who will do one for you using acrylic yarn.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

pittsburghgirl
05-12-2005, 03:07 PM
I have some Bum-ware AIOs and Izabela's sewing is great. Haven't tried her covers but they look nice, although most of the prints are girly:

http://www.bum-ware.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Covers

She is easy to work with and super-quick.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

tarahsolazy
05-12-2005, 03:26 PM
You could try the ME Rikki Wraps, which are made of the same material as the AFs, but are a front applix wrap style cover. I have no personal experience, though.

Also, the new Bumpy Soft covers look intriguing, they seem to be Bumpys without the cotton outer, which would be fine with me, I always saw the cotton as a wicking risk.

If you get an AngelDry side snap cover, invest another $10 and get one of the Windpro fleece ones, too. I have two, and both DH and I reach for them pretty much preferentially, especially DH, who seems to be wool-avoidant, other than soaker shorts. Easy to put on, for standing changes, and stretchy, so they cover well and aren't poofy. I have larges, BTW, for sizing info. Haven't tried these in the car or sling.

nitaghei
05-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Anna,

Am I the only one underwhelmed by Sugarpeas? :) It could be that DS has a ridiculously narrow stride, and the fit is just really bad for him. The only SP we like is a second M/L fitted that's cut much narrower than usual. The rest of my SPs are going on Swap as soon as I have pics.

And even though I really like the MEAF (M/L) - Neel still gets red marks from it. He doesn't mind it too much - but clearly prefers the AngelDry and Busybees when I give him a choice. I'm seriously contemplating revamping my stash and getting rid of all PUL - even my beloved Babyblankets. Wool is soooooo much easier than I expected it to be.

And, BTW, did I ever thank you for posting your recipe for home-made wool wash with lanolin? I used Castile soap, lavender EO and Lansioh. It really was easy. :) So, thank you!!

Nita (wool is my crack)

new_mommy25
05-12-2005, 06:14 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Mudpiebabies!! Her covers are awesome! And she has the best prints out of anyone around.

I also just got a super cute embroidered T&T'd Very Baby Snug Wrap from http://www.littlebellesoakers.com/

KrisM
05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I like my SP fleece, but am concerned about sizing up. It's getting short in the rise only. I originally had a large and it was huge in the legs and the waist on him. Since the medium is still on the tightest snaps for legs and waist, I think the large will still be too big. Down the road, I'll probably get another one.

I can't seem to figure out if Wiggle Worms has any covers for sale. They don't have custom slots open, but I don't see an In Stock area.

Calico Baby looks nice. I'll add that to my list!

KrisM
05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Maybe I'll get a Rikki Wrap. The Eco-prints are so cute! I think I've read good things about them at MDC. I'll check.

I hadn't heard of the Bumpy Soft. They just come in white, but I like having some plain covers for those light colored summer outfits. His print was showing through yesterday. I may try one of those, too. The price is more reasonable than the Days as well.

Do you put the AngelDry over prefolds? Does it cover well?

KrisM
05-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Where do I find Mudpiebabies? Or is someplace I have to stalk?

The Very Baby's are cute, too. I'll have to watch that site for good ones.

new_mommy25
05-12-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.mudpiebabies.com

She'll be stocking soon. You have to join her yahoo group for updates. I'm going to try to get a slot. If so, I'll let you in on my order. Maybe we can all help eachother out?

KrisM
05-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Okay. I'll join the group and see what I can do. I'm terrible at getting things fast enough though! So, if I get a slot, I can put in orders for covers for a bunch of us? Which are better, woven or knits? What about front vs. side and snaps vs. velcro? Side Velcro sounds interesting. The problem I see is that I will need a dozen of these, there are so many cute patterns!

tarahsolazy
05-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Yep, the AngelDry fleece is very roomy, it works well over prefolds and bulky fitteds. ITA on the Loveybums fleece. I have one, and it only covers my trimmest fitteds, or a prefold, barely. The wool cover I have from them that's the same size fits over everything. Must be stretchier.

natividad
05-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, my cover collection isn't terribly exciting, but FWIW, I have always found Proraps classic covers very, very dependable. I prefer their velcro to the snaps. Also, we have a ME Rikki wrap which we use often (more so than the AF version). We have the Savannah print and it is ADORABLE.

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander - Feb. 2003
and baby #2 - EDD May 05

mudder17
05-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Heck, if a medium AngelDry wool can go over a large VB Simply Nights, and just about go over a Benjamuffin Nightdreamer, then I would say that her sizes are pretty generous! Funny thing is that when I put it over a trim fitted, it doesn't seem poofy or extra bulky. I guess it must be the stretchiness?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

american_mama
05-16-2005, 04:05 AM
I have an AngelDry PUL cover. Ilike it and would get more , although there are some negatives. I don't have much experience with fancy CD products, but here's my take on it.

PROS
seems well-made, fits DD well once it's on, covers anything I've put under it without being poofy, contains everything well, haven't noticed any problems to baby with the snaps poking or leaving red marks, snaps are pink which I find very cute

CONS
elastic edges attract white fuzzies after just a few washes, I find it time-consuming to put the cover on DD with all the snaps and what always seems like a too tight fit at first, I can feel the snaps slightly poking me as I hold baby.

If you go with PUL, you might want to read carefully or email the owner about her different fabrics. Mine is a PUL print, which is cotton print with PUL applied to the back, just like a Happy Heiney PUL print if you know those. But she has other prints too which are not called PUL Print and I don't know what those are, maybe two layers of something. I assume she also has PUL solids. My cover is pink diamonds, flowers and butterflies.

I have a PUL Print pocket for her too, and I don't like the fabric or fit at all. It's the yellow daisy fabric. Even though it's just the same as others, but it doesn't seem very flexible and it's too light colored somehow, and I really dislike it.

KrisM
05-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the review! I prefer Velcro for the ease of putting them on, but in the past few days, DS has started pulling the Velcro apart, even when he has pants on over the diaper! So, I'm now thinking I should have a couple snap covers, too.