PDA

View Full Version : Wool Soaker Shorts Patterns

searchdog
05-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Are there any good tried and true soaker short patterns that are either free or inexpensive for a newbie knitter? Thanks ladies please give me links to places if you don't mind.

JBaxter
05-13-2005, 07:32 AM
My sister crochets and we found this site. I think it also has a knitting pattern listed. I have seen some on the net and if I come across them again I will edit this post. She is finishing up her first soaker for Nathan :) Yea!

Jeana
http://www.borntolove.com/pattern.html#Down_Under
http://www.fernandfaerie.com/freesoakerpattern.html

jec2
05-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I have the Littleturtleknits.com pattern. I think it was $10 or so but she often has some sales on multiple patterns. Her site is great because the forums allow you to get endless help if you are a newbie.

pritchettzoo
05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
www.woolywonder.com also has good forums for assistance and several cute patterns.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

tarahsolazy
05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Try the free Fern & Faerie pattern Jeana posted. I have the pay version, and it was my first knitting project. Its very easy, IMO, and makes a cute soaker.

searchdog
05-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Do you have a recommendation for what brand of yarn to get? Is there something I can get at JoAnn's or should I order from an online store?

Thanks

JBaxter
05-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Jo Ann carries the merino wool yarn I think that is what my sister is using. I would try to get the 100% wool. I tried to crochet but I am having hand problems :( Bought a book on knitting to try.
Jeana

em_jon98
05-14-2005, 10:39 PM
You can use the Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool. JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, and some Michaels carry it. It comes in an 8 oz. skein for around $8. Use one of the weekly 40%/50% off coupons. JoAnn's will accept Michaels' coupons.

You can dye it with Kool-Aid (I'll try to find the sites and edit this later with links for dyeing instructions,) or leave it natural. I was able to get two large soakers out of one skein with a little bit left over, but a lot of that will depend on your personal knitting gauge (you may need to use different size needles than the pattern recommends--make sure to do a gauge swatch and use different size needles if your swatch doesn't match the pattern gauge.)

Have fun! I love knitting soakers...they are one of my favorite projects and knit up really quickly.

searchdog
05-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone, I ended up buying a pattern from Woolywonder.com
Can't wait to get started, hopefully I will have a cute picture of DD in some mama made soaker shorts in the next month or so. (that is how long it will probably take me to make them)

Off to buy some yarn as soon as DH gets home. :)