PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Service -vs- Home Care for Cloth Diapers

tlittlef
05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have any good articles on using a service -vs- washing the diapers yourself. I was assuming that we would just clean the diapers ourselves and DH got squeamish about poop in the washer (I explained that you rinse before you wash). So I was just hoping someone had a good reference on the pros and cons.

Thanks for any info!!

knaidel
05-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Did you take a look over at diaperpin.com and their sister site, cutofcloth? Also, the dollar stretcher (stretcher.com- I thimk)- might have some articles about it in their archives under "Babies." Believe it or not, I first heard about cloth diapers from an article there!

FWIW, it seems that most people who use cloth diapers wash them at home. I guess it seems that way because most people who use a diaper service aren;t hanging out on these boards discussing which diapers to buy. I've only met one person who used a diaper service. Also, check availability in your area.

squimp
05-16-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't know of an article, but I can tell you my experience. First, good for you for deciding to CD! We got a diaper service as a shower present, and used it for the first 2 months. It was nice not having to deal with washing right away, but we quickly realized that we could handle doing it ourselves.

The diaper service is expensive - for the price of one week, we could but a dozen prefolds (the dipes you'll get from a service). And you have to buy covers, which can be more expensive than the prefolds. I think in the Baby Bargain Book, the diaper service is THE most expensive way to diaper a baby.

Also, there is a whole world of diapers you can buy that are sooo sooo much cuter and nicer than just prefolds. Fitteds, pockets, All-in-ones, etc..... But it really depends on the reason that you're CDing. Cuteness, environmental factors, avoiding allergens and gels in disposables - these are some of the reasons people CD.

About the poop - I can understand the concern, but it's not really a problem. Hot water and soap can work wonders. The poop of breastfed babies is really runny and will dissolve and wash away. You could buy a minishower and rinse the poop off the diapers, but it's pretty easy to just chuck them in the washing machine. Then for older babies on solid food, you can buy disposable or re-usable diaper liners, so the poop won't even make its way into your washer. Or again the minishower would help. I do a cold soak, hot wash then rinse and the dipes come out smelling fresh and clean!

pritchettzoo
05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Except for the initial breastfed poop (assuming you're breastfeeding, which I apologize for the assumption if I'm incorrect!), you don't put much poop in the washer. You'll flush away most of it. He washes underwear in there, right? ;)

My friends who used disposables washed WAY more poopy clothes than I did. You don't have the same blowouts in cloth--we had ONE the entire time. And yet I was a freak for CDing because you had to touch poop! I think it just depends on where you want your poop to be.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

new_mommy25
05-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Also check out Punkinbutt for good articles. http://www.punkinbutt.com

mudder17
05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
One added difference that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of water and bleach that's used in Diaper Services. I think they wash the diapers with bleach and in hot water at least 4 times? I remember reading one diaper service that washed their diapers 8 times to ensure that the diapers were completely disinfected before sending them out again. That's a heck of a lot of water and of course, the bleach is not great for the environment.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

kijip
05-16-2005, 11:59 PM
>My friends who used disposables washed WAY more poopy clothes
>than I did. You don't have the same blowouts in cloth--we had
>ONE the entire time. And yet I was a freak for CDing because
>you had to touch poop! I think it just depends on where you
>want your poop to be.

"I think it just depends on where you want your poop to be."

LOL!