PDA

View Full Version : CD questions- new, need help

cushy
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Okay, so after reading a lot, I think I'm ready to start CD'ing for my baby come october, but I have lots of questions.

I think I'll go with PFs, but what's really the difference between Chinese and Indian?

Why does everyone like kissaluvs- they seem to not be so absorbent, based on info here.

As for wraps- Proraps, Motherease Airflow, or any experience with Diaperaps? I want something trim and leakproof- empahasis on both. I might spend more if it's worth it. Should I just try one of each?

Benefits of PUL vs. Nylon? Are Whisper Wraps Nylon? Are they waterproof?

Can you use wool covers with PFs? I imagine not, because of poop issues, but they are so cute, and I would love to crochet my own.

Thanks for helping! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions...

KrisM
05-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi,

I liked my Kissaluvs because they made middle-of-the-night changes much faster than prefolds! Prefolds took a bit to get the hang of and were definitely easier in daylight. I only used the 0 size and now use mostly prefolds.

Prowrap are good, inexpensive covers. They have gussets, which help hold in runny poo. If you plan to breastfeed, the poop will be runny. ME Airflow might not work as well at the start. It's also pretty poofy, but flattens well. I don't have any experience with Diaperaps. I ended up liking Bumpy (Imse Vimse) the best for quite a while. They just fit my son the best. You might consider trying a few and seeing what works best for you.

I'm not much help with the other question, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

mommyj_2
05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Welcome!

I think I'll go with PFs, but what's really the difference between Chinese and Indian?
Indian prefolds are supposed to be softer, but they run a little bit smaller. I've tried both, but ended up sticking with Chinese PFs because they fit my son better and for a longer period of time.

Why does everyone like kissaluvs- they seem to not be so absorbent, based on info here.
A lot of people like Kissaluvs for the newborn stage, since like the PP mentioned, they make middle of the night changes easier. They're pretty bulky, but they're also less expensive than some of the other fitteds, which is probably a big reason they're popular. You can get seconds from their outlet. I only used my Kissaluvs for a month or maybe 6 weeks, but I liked them for the first month. You change diapers so often with newborns, absorbancy isn't really an issue like it is for older babies. There are other options for newborn fitteds as well (Absorbitalls, Motherease Sandy's, and some WAHM fitteds).
As for wraps- Proraps, Motherease Airflow, or any experience with Diaperaps? I want something trim and leakproof- empahasis on both. I might spend more if it's worth it. Should I just try one of each?
I hated Proraps, but a lot of moms like them. I would recommend trying a few different covers to see what you like. It partly depends on your baby, his/her skin and body shape, and then your own preferences. I found the Airflows to be too poofy for my tastes, but a lot of moms like them. I've used Diaperaps for my son (when he was around one) and liked them, but have never tried them on a newborn.

Benefits of PUL vs. Nylon? Are Whisper Wraps Nylon? Are they waterproof?
PUL is less breathable than nylon. They're both waterproof. Whisper wraps are laminate. Whisper pants are pull on nylon covers (I love these).

Can you use wool covers with PFs? I imagine not, because of poop issues, but they are so cute, and I would love to crochet my own.
You can definitely use wool with PFs, but I would probably wait until your baby is older unless you don't mind washing poo out of the wool. For a newborn, I would recommend nylon or PUL, just because their poo is so runny, it tends to get on the covers more often. I think I used wool at night starting pretty early, though, and just washed the poo out if it got on the cover. You can use wool over fitteds, since they tend to contain the poo a little better.