PDA

View Full Version : Leaks w/ FuzziBunz--What am I doing wrong!!!!?

marvelous
05-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I bought a used (but in very good condition) stash of small FBs and microterry inserts in preperation for my DD. I started using them on her at two weeks with no problems. They contained her BF poop better than any 'sposie and laundered easily. My DH is even on board with them so I thought we were a CD success.

Well DD is now 5 weeks old and her pee/poop cycles have changed. She used to poop after almost every feeding and pee was here and there. For the past 5 days or so, she has only had wet diapers with no poop. (That has me a little worried, but I'm going to give her another day or two to poop before I call her Dr.) For some reason, she is leaking or wicking almost everytime! Day and night! I've tried changing her more often, but I still get a little wetness sometimes.

I did a search and I think I'll try to double up at night or try a CPF, but what about during the day? According to all the research I did beforehand and after, a FB with a microterry insert should be a pretty good combo. I can't imagine a 5 week-old being a heavy wetter yet?

This is my first baby, so any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Marvelyn mommy to Malaya 4/11/05

DebbieJ
05-19-2005, 08:50 AM
You could very well have detergent build up on the fleece. Scrub the fleece with some dish detergent (Dawn is usually recommended, but I used Palmolive and it worked), rinse them really well, and try again.

As for the poop, don't worry! Kids who are BF can go days between poops. Because BM is so readily absorbed and digested, there tends to be less waste.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

brittone2
05-19-2005, 08:54 AM
We use FBs almost exclusively but we will be switching over to more wool and fitteds for the summer.

Here are some thoughts:
check leg holes for big gaps. Sometimes you need to tighten those leg holes more than you'd think.

Try running them through the dryer. Supposedly the *very occasional* trip throught the dryer helps re-waterproof the PUL. I've read this and do this occasionally, but if I'm wrong, by all means mamas, correct me ;)

You may have detergent build up, especially if they weren't leaking before. THis causes the fleece to repel pee. Avoid detergents like "All Free and Clear" as they can build up. Try doing a wash or two without ANY detergent. See if you can see bubbles. If you can, you have buildup. You can try doing a few washes until you don't see bubbles anymore, or if that still doesn't work, look for directions for "stripping" diapers.

Try a different insert. We use microfiber towels tri folded and they work great for us. I always had more luck with these than Joey Bunz type inserts.

HTH

marvelous
05-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I didn't think of detergent build up. I use Cheer Free so I wonder if it could have the same consequences. Today is my day to launder diapers, so I'll check for bubbles.

When you say you used a microfiber towel as an insert, did you get them at a regular store like WalMart or Target? That is something I would be willing to try. Sounds like they would be less expensive than JB inserts.

mudder17
05-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Although for a heavy wetter, one MF is not enough! I think that would last DD 30 minutes! I always had good luck wrapping a MF towel inside of an infant PF and stuffing that in the pocket.

And yes, I used the MF towels from Target (5 pack for $5.99? Something like that).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

nitaghei
05-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I use Cheer Free, and have to strip some of my fleece only a couple of times in 18 months. So it isn't the detergent, necessarily - but you could be using too much. That stuff is pretty concentrated; you need to use a very small amount. I think I use about 1/4 of the cup or less.

And yes, microfiber towels are available at Target, Walmart etc. Check in the auto supplies section. I typically use 2 for my toddler, and he's fine for upto 3 hours (though he's generally changed before then).

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

KrisM
05-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm not familiar with the insert you're using, but make sure it fills the pocket from side to side between the legs. I've used inserts that are too skinny and get leaks there.

pritchettzoo
05-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I would check to make sure the backing is still waterproofed. You can pour water slowly into a stuffed diaper and press and see where the leaks or wicking is coming from. Put a thin (kitchen or hand?) towel underneath to see. If the backing isn't waterproof anymore, you can buy waterproofing spray and re-waterproof them.

Detergent build up on the fleece might not show as bubbles in the wash. If they're not leaking or wicking through the backing, then scrub the fleece well by hand with Dawn.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)