PDA

View Full Version : Help! Diaper rash!!

nitaghei
05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
DS has been having nasty, acidic poop since yesterday. I have NO idea why. He doesn't seem to be sick in any other way. Anyway, his diaper area is just covered by this red bumpy rash. It *could* be yeast, but it doesn't look the same as the one time he had that (antibiotics, ugh), so I don't think so.

DS is not prone to rash, and the few times he's had some, either Aquaphor or Burt's Bees has cleared it right up. Neither of which are doing squat right now. Oh yes, he has had a small persisent bumpy area about the size of a dime on one thigh for about a week, and my usual stuff didn't do anything to clear that up, either.

The poor child is in serious pain - he could not stand to have even soft fleece wipes touch him. So, please, help!! What should I try? All the searches I turn up give me too many hits to wade through. Is Triple Paste the way to go?

Oh yes - did I mention this nasty poop got on two WIOs yesterday? That was a fun laundry project - not. :( Definitely not feeling the wool love right now. He has a stash of fleece at day care today. At least I don't have to hand wash those.

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mudder17
05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Oh, no! Poor Neels! Well, Kaya is prone to rash, and what you describe sounds like it COULD be yeast, but I'm no expert--I just know we've had it at least twice. Sorry, Nita, I KNOW what it's like to clean wool of sticky poop. :(

When Kaya has a particularly bad rash, I'll put her in baking soda baths, let her run around diaperless or at least coverless and after making sure she's completely clean and dry, putting on a mixture of aquaphor, triple paste, and mylanta (I made a mixture in an old aquaphor container). IF it looks like it could be yeast, I do also apply some Clotrimazole before applying the mixture. And if it's really red, I also add some of the steroidal stuff, but I try not to use that more than once a day, now that I know better (Thanks, Tarah).

I hope he feels better soon!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

tarahsolazy
05-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I think Triple Paste works well, and I also add a bit of hydrocortisone, 1% ointment, about once or twice a day, it really helps. Forrest has gotten two bad rashes due to citrus consumption, and the combo of Triple paste and the steroid worked within a day or two.

SeekerMage
05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I would try letting him air out as much as possible, and a bath with baking soda will do wonders. I would try the triple paste, or desitin etc (use a liner though to avoid stains) Sometimes just a different cream will help we found. It does sound like it "could" be a yeast infection with the red bumps, but I could be wrong. In the mean time try warm or cold water (no soap) even with some baking soda to wipe him and dont wipe but dab. I even found if you let them have a wipe to " help" works too as a distraction. if you suggest a yeast infection try some monistat cream or the like, cant hurt to try atleast one time to see if it helps. Coverless or naked is the way to go. HTHs

nitaghei
05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone!! I'm not sure how much coverless/naked is an option - at least today. :( Can definitely do some tomorrow.

Also - the baking soda thing. Do I just dump a bunch of baking soda into his bath - or is there some specific technique to it? I do have a sitz bath, but I'm not sure I could get him to sit in it.

I do have hydrocortizone (1%) and Nystatin at home. I'm assuming that Triple Paste is something I can get at a drug store or Target? Yes, I know, my kid's almost two and half, and I don't know any of this.{hanging head} But he only had minor rashes with disposables, and almost none since we switched to CDs, so I've never really needed to acquire the information.

Maybe it's those blasted 2 year molars finally showing up. That would be a relief. He didn't sleep well last night, and it's taken me this long to figure out that it might be his teeth. BAD mommy! :(

BTW - Eileen, I think it was your tip to hang the wool covers in front of a fan to dry? Worked like a charm. :) They dried overnight - I hung them up at 10 pm, and they were dry this morning by 7 am. But I still didn't leave any wool at daycare today.

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mudder17
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
For the baking soda thing--because Kaya is so prone to rashes, I tend to just dump 1/4 scoop (not a huge bunch) into her little bath tub. If it were in the large bath, then I would probably add more. But yes, just add the baking soda to the bath and let him sit. If he can still fit, maybe you can add BS to his old little bath (doesn't need to have tons of water). Just let him soak for 10 minutes or as long as he will tolerate (a little is better than none). And I think it was Marisa's idea to use Mylanta, but I found if it was a very sore rash, Mylanta in my mixture really helped to soothe. That's why I just have a mixture of Aquaphor with the Triple Paste and Mylanta (the Aquaphor is to make the Triple Paste go on more smoothly).

For triple paste, I get 1 pound tubs at Sam's for $19.99, but I know you don't need that much! You can get smaller amounts at Target or Walmart or any drugstore, but I think you usually need to ask the pharmacist because for some reason they often keep it behind the counter.

Oh, and I'm glad your wool dried overnight, but like you, I wouldn't leave my wool at day care! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

papal
05-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Any better??? I hope the rash is clearing up!

natividad
05-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Oh poor Neel. Alexander is also not prone to rash, but about two months ago he got a rash on his right tigh as well, where his tigh meets his leg right on the crease. He didn't seem like he was in pain and I figured it was some sort of yeast due to his teething? Since I hadn't had to deal with such pesky rashes before, I went ahead and bought Triple Paste. I got a 0.2 oz tube for about $8 at CVS. I found the small tube in the regular diaper rash area, but if you don't see it you may need to ask for it. About the Triple Paste - I didn't mix it with Aquaphor since I found it quite spreadable. What did surprise me was how slowly it took Alexander to get rid of this rash even with the TP and Desitin. I also let him go naked or coverless as much as possible. HTH

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander - Feb. 2003
and baby #2 - EDD May 05