PDA

View Full Version : Ew, stinky wool!

Saartje
05-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Or should that be ewe? ;)

I bought a used Aristocrat on the MDC TP. It's in good condition, a little felted on the crotch, but that's not a big deal to me (and really hard to avoid with Aristocrats, I've heard). A bigger deal is the fact that not only is it stained on the crotch (the seller warned me about that, though it sounded lighter than it is -- again, at this price I can't complain!), it STINKS.

I've let it soak for two days in Eucalan, sniffing periodically. (This is after washing it a couple of times in Eucalan already.) It smells better now, but still a bit stinky. I'm letting it hang on the line now for some fresh air, and I'll probably leave it out overnight so it gets some sun tomorrow in hopes of sunning both the stain and the smell out of it.

If the smell isn't gone tomorrow, though, what else can I do to lessen the smell?

pritchettzoo
05-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Do you have any EOs? I'd sprinkle some in the soaking water. Also, change out the water periodically so there's somewhere for the stink to go. May or may not work, but I hate things soaking in yuck...

When it's dry, you could put it in a paper sack with some charcoal and hope the charcoal absorbs the smell.

Then there's Febreeze, which works on my dog... maybe it works on sheep too? (Loooooooooooooooong story)

Anna

mudder17
05-22-2005, 07:11 PM
My homeade aerosol air freshener has vinegar, EO, and water. It does seem to help a lot, so like Anna says, that might actually help if you add a little EO and vinegar in fresh wash water.

I did have a wool cover I got from a WAHM that smelled like cigarrette smoke (ewww!) and washing with Eucalan didn'g get rid of the smell. So I put it in a ziploc bag with a dryer sheet overnight and that did the trick.

>Then there's Febreeze, which works on my dog... maybe it works
>on sheep too? (Loooooooooooooooong story)
Umm...there wasn't a skunk involved was there?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mmaimp
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
This was just discussed on a yahoo group that I belong to. The suggestion there was to add a lot of lanolin to the soaker. The wool wash may not have enough lanolin if the soaker is really striped of it.

The BF stuff works. Melt the lanolin in hot water and then poor it over the soaker that is sitting in just a little water with a drop of baby shampoo. About a one to two inch ribbon should work.

HTH,