PDA

View Full Version : snaps or velcro closure on covers for 13 month old?

nathans mom
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
I am really happy with the velcro on my Proraps and Bummis covers(these are the only 2 brands I've ever used), but now my son is about 20+ # and we need to move up to the next size diaper cover. I thought I read somewhere that snaps are better for older infants who can remove the velco, but it seems that snaps don't give as good a fit as velco.

So, looking for advice on what covers to buy next? I use a diaper service and Snappi's and am pretty willing to try anything, but don't want to spend money on a covers that I hate using. My son has never removed the velcro on his current covers. Thanks!

Pam

mudder17
05-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Honestly, I think it depends on the toddler. Kaya figured out how to unfasten the snaps of her sleeper, and managed to pull off one snap of her diaper, but even though she enjoys playing with velcro, she has never pulled velcro diapers off. So I really do think it depends on the toddler. Personally, my favorite covers right now are either the pull on kind, or my Angeldry, which is velcro, because they are more forgiving when it comes to fit. If your son hasn't started pulling off his velcro now, then I wouldn't worry about it until it becomes an issue. You can always sell off your covers on the swap later if it does become an issue.

HTH!

ETA: You could also consider the nylon pull-up pants for no velcro or snaps. They do work with snappi'd PFs. Bummis makes some, as does Especially for Baby (BRU) and Dappi, I believe.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

pritchettzoo
05-24-2005, 08:08 PM
My DD has never (knocking on wood) taken off her diaper or cover. But she can undo both snaps and velcro, so if she wanted to, it wouldn't matter.

Since you're using a diaper service, you'd need to stick to covers that withstand the industrial machines. I've never heard of any besides the Proraps and Bummis. Both of these brands make covers with snaps that you could try. They're both listed on this site: http://store.naturalbabies.com/products/ (under Covers).

I haven't used either of them, so I can't tell you how adjustable the snap settings are. I think you might want to go with the old addage "If it ain't broke..." ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

psophia17
05-25-2005, 11:12 AM
DS learned to undo velcro at about 14 months...he undoes and redoes it over and over again, I think just to hear the sound. He does it to his shoes, the padding at gymnastics, on the various velcro toys he has, and he even got into MIL's velcro curlers.

That said, we have had way better luck with snaps than velcro. What's your baby shaped like? You will get a ton of suggestions from the Mamas here with ideas for what snapping CDs will work if you post a question with that info included...

squimp
05-25-2005, 03:19 PM
DD can undo both snaps and velcro, but I don't really have a problem with either. I don't care for velcro in the wash, but if you don't mind it, I'd get more velcro covers. The Bummis are pretty cute if they work for you. Bumpy days and nights are pretty well-liked around here as well - they're supposed to work well, but be less plasticky than the Proraps, and more trim. We also liked Rikki wraps, and they have some cute prints, but they're not so trim.

Oh and Bumkins wraps are cute too and work well - you can even get a matching bib :).

I don't think you have to worry about the industrial strength washing by the diaper service for the wraps, right? We washed the wraps ourselves, they didn't go with the diaper service. They go through a 12-step washing process or some such, that would probably be rough on any cover.

JBaxter
05-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Nathan pulls off his velcro diapers when he belly slides down the carpeted stairs. I like snaps better :)
Jeana

nathans mom
05-26-2005, 06:32 PM
How funny that my post should elicit replies from mom's of two other Nathan's! My little guy is pretty trim except for his little Buddha belly so the fit is rather nice to adjust with velcro. We wash our covers ourselves at home so I'm not worried about how they hold up in that regard.

It sounds like Velcro is pretty convenient for most moms and since we are used to it I will probably order a small order of covers with mostly velcro, but I'll get one with snaps too just for research.

I have to say that I'm kind of embarassed since my kid only has "tighty- whitties" (sp?) for diaper covers. We spend so much on diaper service that I went pretty cheap on the covers and got the Proraps seconds only. Where do all the mommies get diaper swap stuff? I'd love to get some fun looking diaper covers!

Pam

Mom to Nathan (our little Easter surprise)

JBaxter
05-26-2005, 07:37 PM
My favorite windpro covers are from Calico baby We have 2 green and 1 blue. They wash and fit well.
Jeana

mudder17
05-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, the two most common places we get our SWAP stuff is on DiaperSwap2 and BBB-Swap. You can join Diaperswap2 right away, but you need 50 posts to join BBB-swap.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!