PDA

View Full Version : aio and pockets

Uxor
05-24-2005, 07:10 PM
I will probably have to put my son in daycare soon. I am hoping to be able to find a daycare that accepts cd. I f I do I'm considering switching to pockets/aio for his days at daycare. What would be a good diaper to use. I'm considering wonderoos but have no experience with them. I like the one size factor. I've used fuzzybunzs in the past but dh doesn't like snaps. Kushies looks like a good alternative as well. I'm trying not to go broke, but any input would be helpfull.

Also is there a diaperswap other than the yahoogroups one? I don't think i've posted enough to use this one. The yahoo one seems to only advertize ebay auctions anymore.

Thanks

mudder17
05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
If your DH doesn't like snaps, you could try Happy Heiny's or Ella's Pockets or see if you can find BabyBlankets (she's selling the business, but I'm sure you can still get them). All three use Aplix. Some WAHMs also give Aplix as an option. For fleece pockets, Apronstrings makes the pockets with both snaps and aplix.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

pritchettzoo
05-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I thought Wonderoos were snapping too, but I could be wrong.

Harleyz pockets have an aplix option. You can do a try-me for $10 at http://hyenacart.com/wahmarama/ I have a hemp pocket--it's really trim. I haven't tried the PUL outer ones.

I have a couple of Ella's pockets and liked them when they fit DD. The mama who makes them is nice too.

The only other swap I know of is MDC's Trading Post, but it has membership requirements of 2 months and 60 posts as well. (Or something like that).

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mama2kyla
05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I'd try to get your hands on some Very Baby AIOs... aplix and quick and easy to use :)

Uxor
05-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah it's funny. DH doen't like snaps but he is more than willing to use a prefold with a snappi. hehe. Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to give a try.

nitaghei
05-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Babyblankets have aplix - these are my absolute favorite dipe for daycare. Some instock and very reasonably priced. My top pick as a day care dipe, if your DS does not have super chunky thighs. We've been using ours for over a year at daycare, and they're still in great shape.

I've had less luck with AIOs. Bumkins are inexpensive and easily available, but not very absorbent. Daisy-doodles are harder to get, and also not great for a super-soaker. Angelwraps are easy to get, but not very absorbent. Very Baby look great - but are too $$ for me to try.

One of my current fave WAHMs is Steph of AngelDry Diapers.
www.angeldrydiapers.com

Very reasonably priced, fast and good work. I currently have 2 covers and a WIO from her, and I'm thrilled with the dipes. She does pockets and AIOs (true AIOs as well as with snap-in soakers), and she'll do either aplix or snaps. I would highly recommend emailing her, if you don't see what you need is stock. She is super sweet and flexible, and will work with you on every detail, and still get the dipes out fast.

HTH

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

JBaxter
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes wonderoos snap ( I just got the monkey print)

Uxor
05-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Where would I find babyblankets and about how many would I need to get through a day of daycare? Just looking to gather as much info before making any purchases.

Thanks

JBaxter
05-25-2005, 06:47 PM
http://www.thebabyblanket.com/index.htm Here is that link

carrie81566
05-25-2005, 07:57 PM
The cloth diapering board at Babycenter has a Wednesday diaper swap/trade/sell thread. "Diapering your Baby" is under "caring for your baby," I think.
Carrie

new_mommy25
05-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Wonderoos are snap but they are just one row as opposed to FB's two rows. DH hates the snaps on FB's. His favorite diapers are my Angelwraps AIOs.

new_mommy25
05-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Diaperpin has a pretty active forum. They also have a swap board. There are no membership requirements. http://www.diaperpin.com/forum04/forum_default.asp

squimp
05-26-2005, 12:19 PM
I second the Angelwraps AIOs - they're velcro, and fit DD really well. They're a little more trim than our FBs and Snap-EZ, with no dreaded square-butt ;). With like 4 layers of hemp, I've found them to be really absorbent. They're pricey though ($20 each; but you can find deals used).

nitaghei
05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
The site is
www.thebabyblanket.com

As for the number of dipes, it depends on how often your baby is changed at day care, and how often you do wash. I do wash twice a week, so I need enough dipes to leave at daycare for 3 days. DS typically gets changed 4 times a day, sometimes 5 (they change every 2 hours, or earlier if necessary). I generally leave 4 dipes plus 1 as a back-up every day.

For the longest time, this was our daycare stash:
7 Babyblankets, 3 fleece pockets and 4 FBs (not aplix, but they were okay). I did try using the Daisy-doodles as an alternative, but there was user error too often (insert left sticking out). Yes, that adds up to 14, but there have been times when DS has needed 5 dipes two days in a row. With that many, I've never had a problem of running out of dipes before my designated wash day.

I have switched to wool recently, and it's a bit more complicated. There have been snafus, even though most of caregivers are familiar with DS's dipes now. But they're willing to do a little extra for DS, because his dipes are sooooo cute! :) But I totally wouldn't recommend doing wool to begin with. Keep it as simple as possible when you're trying to convince someone about CDs.

We are still using the BBs, but I mostly use the 3 WIOs I have (I have extra inserts for all of them) and the fleece pockets and an Angelwrap, and use the BBs to fill in the rest of the stash.

FWIW, I will be posting a bunch of dipes on Swap soon. I'm moving away from PUL, so I will definitely be posting FBs, a Daisy-doodle and probably some of the BBs.

HTH

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

downwarddog
05-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Ann,
I'm posting 2 BB & 2 Ella's FSOT on the Yahoo Groups swap if you're interested. They are both in EUC & all are meds, but I'm not sure if your babe would be in larges yet?... My DH has decided he likes AIOs & FBs best, so I'm going to try buying some of these suggested AIOs in place of these pockets. :-)

~Lenore
Mom to Acadia, 9/28/04

Uxor
05-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the offer. I would take you up on it, except right now i'm inbetween jobs. I think my dh would shoot me if I spent any money on fluff right now. In another week or so I'll probably go on a spree. he he he the beast shall be released.