PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip using CDs

kristinag
05-26-2005, 11:46 AM
I have my 6 month old (it's hard to believe she's already 6 months!) in cloth diapers due to an allergy to disposibles. I am currently using a diaper service (most wonderful thing ever invented for a mom who works outside of the home!). Does anyone have any experience with traveling by car and staying at hotels and using cloth diapers? We are going to 5 different cities in 2-ish weeks (it's a dog show circuit through Idaho and Montana).

Thanks in advance!!
Kristina Grosenbaugh

nitaghei
05-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Good luck on the circuit! I assume you're showing in breed?

Okay, I haven't done a road trip. But MOMMY_J did CD when she was in China. Hopefully she'll see this, and respond.

The best bet might be flat folds rather than prefolds, since they could even be handwashed if necessary, and dry really quickly. And some basic covers, perhaps?

Is your DD allergic to fleece? If not, another option might be pocket dipes stuffed with flatfolds or microfiber towels. I have used the cheap Gerber flats as pocket inserts, and they work fine, and dry fast.

Sorry I don't have any direct experience, but I did want to respond!! :) The only time we travelled with CDs was when I visited my parents, so I didn't have to search for a place to do wash.

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mommyj_2
05-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I agree with Nita about the flatfolds. They are really cheap, they dry quickly, and they work really well. I normally use snappi'ed prefolds at home, but for the China trip I tri-folded flatfolds in a wrap. It's actually not really a tri-fold, since you fold it in half first and then tri-fold, but it's the same idea. I used Cottonwraps since breathabilty was my main concern, but if you already have other wraps you could use those. You could always bring along some doublers if you want, but the flatfolds worked fine for us with no doublers.
These will also be your cheapest option. I just bought the Gerber ones from Target, since I didn't have time to order any online, and they held up fine for my trip. I've actually started using them in my son's underwear (since he goes on the potty most of the time) to catch any accidents.
If you'd rather snappi, I've also heard of moms using two flatfolds and snappi'ing them. I think for traveling, the convenience of tri-folding is nice. But, if your DD hasn't started solids yet and has runny poo, I would probably go with snappi'ed prefolds.
If you have access to washers and dryers, you could order prefolds and bring those. I think flatfolds will be your cheapest option, but if you'd rather stick with what you know, prefolds would work too. They just take longer to dry. I've used prefolds on a roadtrip in the US, and they were fine. I just washed them wherever we were staying (I brought my own detergent, since DS has sensitive skin). Cloth wipes are great too, if you're not already using them. You can use baby washcloths.
Also, be sure to bring a wetbag for storing the diapers. If you don't have one already, you can get an XL Bummis tote.
Hmmm...I think that's it. I'll post if I think of anything else. HTH

kijip
05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I have used Fuzzi Bunz with a variety of inserts on the road. The Fuzzi Bunz dry quickly and are reliable leak wise. If you used a micro towel type insert maybe it would dry even faster than my prefolds?