PDA

View Full Version : CD mamas, how do you babyproof the sprayer?

kitmama
05-26-2005, 11:18 PM
The sprayer for rinsing the diapers off into the toilet, I mean. (Can't think what it's called!) Littleman is into everything, and I'd like to babyproof the bathroom so he can have access to it (currently we keep the door shut). I'd like him to start getting comfortable with the idea of going potty, even if he has a ways to go before he's ready to start potty training. I figure easy access to the bathroom (he has a potty in there, too) is a pretty good place to start.

That sprayer is in easy reach and I'm sure he'd just LOVE to spray water all over the bathroom! What do you do to keep that from happening?

Saartje
05-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Does your sprayer not have a valve or switch at the base of the tube, where it attaches to the toilet? That's supposed to be the childproofing option; turn it off when not in use (and never ever flip it in view of your toddler, so they don't find it).

If you don't have that, I don't know what to suggest.

tarahsolazy
05-27-2005, 11:09 AM
If someone figures this out, please share. Currently we are of the taking it out of his little mitt as he shrieks camp, which is less than optimal.

mudder17
05-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Oooh! Good question. Ours looks a little like those kitchen sprayers, so there's a handle that sticks out. The sprayer rests on a handicap handle, so unless it's picked up, it can't be sprayed. So far, she hasn't figured out how to get it off the handle (it's a little tight). But I can screw the little thingie in the back loose if I need to, which will make it impossible for her to spray.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

pritchettzoo
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
We just keep the door shut as well. Gracie screams "Poop on potty" when she wants to sit on her little potty. Notice I said SIT and not anything else... ;)

I was inspecting it this morning after I sprayed off a diaper. I think there's room enough behind the toilet where we could hook the sprayer nozzle back there. Perhaps out of sight, out of mind?

The valve thing would not work for me, especially in my current state. I don't think I would fit down there to turn it off!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

kitmama
05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
LOL, I don't know about me bending down to get the valve, either!

So far, littleman has not messed with it at all, but that's because I'm always in the bathroom with him and I can redirect his attention before he gets close. I just KNOW that he'll mess with it once he really gets a chance. As I said, he's into everything!

I'll check for the valve and see if I can reach it easily. Other than that, the only thing I can figure is possibly rigging some gadget that prevents him from pressing the handle, but which I can move out of the way. I'm not sure if that would work. . .