PDA

View Full Version : What cd's to get for new baby

jbintz
05-30-2005, 11:04 AM
We just welcomed baby #2 into our house this month. I am looking at what kind of diapers to get. Here is our information:

He is currently 10lbs at 2 weeks (so I want to start at the 13 or 15lb and up diapers)

He is breastfed and if he is anything like his brother that means blowouts.

He goes through many diapers a day.

I was going to get medium fuzzy bunz. I wanted to see if anyone had any problems or suggestions about brands types etc...

Also has anyone used CPF's for larger babies on smaller ones and just folded them differently?

Thanks
Jana

mudder17
05-30-2005, 12:04 PM
First off, congratulations!!!

I personally would not go with FB with a baby that's prone to blowouts. I tried med FBs at that weight and stopped after the first time because we got a blowout and I knew that wasn't going to change (leaks out of the legs). We immediately went back to what we knew would work--a snappi'd prefold in a cover.

At 13-15 pounds, I think you'd be using regular or premium prefolds, depending on how heavy a wetter your baby is. We had a heavy wetter, so even though the premiums were bulky and seemed enormous, they worked well for her and definitely helped contain the BF'd poop. But many people use regular prefolds (the same size, but not as thick in the center panel) with no problems. The trick is using a snappi which really helps to contain the BF'd poop.

I would estimate 2 dozen prefolds plus a couple snappi's--you can get them pretty inexpensively. For basic covers, proraps, green earth, litewraps, and bumpys are all good covers with gussets (which will help contain the leaky poop better). Plus, they're easy to wash if poop gets on the cover (which may happen once a day).

If you want a couple of easy options, you can also get some fitted diapers. Those will be more expensive than prefolds, but they can be cute, and easier for those night changes. You can probably use the same covers, depending on what fitted diaper you're using.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mommyj_2
05-30-2005, 12:10 PM
If you don't want to deal with blowouts, I would recommend going with CPFs or fitteds instead of Fuzzibunz. With fitteds or PFs, you have the advantage of having a cover that can catch any poo that manages to get past the diaper.
For 15 lbs, I would recommend going with regular prefolds. They're thinner than the premiums, so they'll be less bulky on your baby. I used these on my son when he was 2 months old. He gained weight fast and had super chubby thighs, so he outgrew his infant prefolds really quickly. PFs are great, since they're really inexpensive. I would go with mostly prefolds, and then get some fitteds for going out. I recommend trying a few different covers to see what you like. People like different fabrics, styles, etc., and you won't know until you try them. There are a lot of sites that offer a cover sampler package, which would let you try out different covers. I would also get a few snappis to use with your PFs.
I like fitteds from Lucy's Hope Chest, Mudpie Babies, and Motherease (for a more inexpensive option).
HTH!

KrisM
05-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Congratulations on your new son!

I would probably stick to prefolds, if I were you. I use prefolds during the day and pockets at night. I used FuzziBunz for quite a while, but now use fleece pockets instead (apronstringsbabythings).

Prefolds are pretty good at holding in explosive poop. And, anything that makes it past the diaper should get held in by the cover. Personally, I like Bumpy covers, but you could get 1 of a few types and try them out to see what works for your baby. In the breastfed stage, I'd stick to covers with gussets, like Bumpy, Prowraps, Green Earth, Litewraps, etc.

I used infant size prefolds to start and switched to regulars at 17 lbs (4 months). If I had had them sooner, I would have switched sooner. We are still using regulars at 24 lbs. Premiums are much bulkier and since my DS doesn't need the extra absorbancy, we don't need to use them. Regulars are a good in-between option.

If your son doesn't poop at night, pockets are a great option. I really liked my FuzziBunz. Size medium fit at about 13 lbs. He used it at night until maybe 20 lbs or so. Now, it's too short in the rise for night, but I can still use the mediums during the day. We've gotten about 11 months use out of them so far!

If you haven't already, check out www.naturalbabies.com. They carry a nice selection of covers, regular prefolds, Fuzzibunz, and much more.