PDA

View Full Version : Detergent question

samsonsmom
05-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi again! In poring over all the discussions branching off CD101, I've noticed that many of you use Tide or "fake Tide from Costco" (as someone called it). I was wondering the following:

1. What is the fake Tide from Costco? Would this be something that comes in a box that looks like the Tide box, or was the person just talking about Costco-brand detergent in general? Is it liquid or powder?

2. What about the el cheapo Kirkland Signature (Costco brand) detergent that comes in the bazillion-gallon bucket? That's what I always use for our laundry and it's fine for us, but is there something about it that would be bad for baby diapers?

I'd like to keep this as economical as I can, but I'm willing to splurge on better detergent for the baby if I need to.

Thanks!

tarahsolazy
05-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I think it is the bazillion gallon bucket stuff that folks are using with great success. It seems like the cheaper stuff works as well if not better than the spendy stuff. I use Tide HE, because I have a front-loading HE washer, but I use one box every three months, at $6.99 a box! Washing CDs really teaches you about how little detergent is needed to get clothes clean. I use about 1/3 scoop for clothes, and 1/4 to 1/6 scoop for diapers.

Oh, and if you are going to wash the dipes in the Costco stuff, don't bother getting rip-off baby detergent for baby clothes, either. If its good enough for their little bums, should be fine for the rest of the baby, too. Just use small amounts.

samsonsmom
05-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Well that is a big relief! I think it takes me almost a year to get through that big bucket, so at somewhere around $13 per bucket the price can't be beat. Once I start doing diapers, maybe I'll go through a full two buckets a year, LOL. Then again, maybe not, since it sounds like I could probably reduce the amount of detergent per load by quite a bit.

Thanks for the info!

marcywench
05-30-2005, 06:09 PM
I have a front loading HE, as well. I've been a liquid girl for so long. You are pleased with the Tide HE powder? I always seem to think it won't dissolve. I don't know why I have that mental block.