PDA

View Full Version : Remind me again. Who uses all/mostly prefolds?

brigmaman
05-30-2005, 08:31 PM
I am considering going mostly pf. Brig is beginning to use the potty and Cadie is coverless at home quite a bit now. I'm feeling great about the simplicity. Since dh for the most part isn't using the fitteds/aios anyway, I might as well go with what I like I guess.
I have certain fitteds that I'd keep for outings this summer. I'm also interested in trying some flats. Does anyone use these?
Also, if you use mostly/all PFs, what type of doublers do you use? I also worry about blowouts when I use a piece of fleece or doubler over the "pocket" of the fold.

mudder17
05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I was using all PFs for a while, and it was great before Kaya started fighting the changes. However, they worked very well and it was pretty simple. I always used a doubler with it (I got a bunch of them from the Kissaluv outlet way back when) and a piece of fleece. What I did was lay the doubler and fleece on the PF, lay the baby over everything, fold up the doubler and fleece, then do the Newspaper or Angel fold on it, fold up and snappi. It worked quite well. I rarely had the poop leak out, even with leaky BFd poop.

Lizajane also was/is using mostly PFs for the longest time, although I know she recently discovered MEOS. She has heavy wetters, so I'm sure she used doublers with hers.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

kitmama
05-30-2005, 08:41 PM
We use mostly PFs, with fitteds at night and pockets, fitteds or AIOs for on the go.

I've never tried flats, so can't comment on those. I don't usually use a doubler with the PFs, since we're at home and I'm changing frequently anyway. I do have a few around that I might stick in there for naps, though- mostly kissaluvs doublers, and a couple fleece-topped hemp doublers that I don't remember what they are. I do use fleece liners pretty often though, and have not had trouble with blowouts because of them.

brigmaman
05-30-2005, 08:56 PM
So you lay the fleece over the folded part? For example, after you twist the bikini twist, then you lay the fleece on and pull up/snappi it?

mudder17
05-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Yup! It actually works, even with the bikini twist, although I prefer the newspaper fold myself (I can never get the bikini twist to come out smooth enough). I think it's because I prefer the extra material to be in front, rather than in back. But I actually pull the fleece/doubler up between her legs to position it correctly, then pull up the diaper and snappi it.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

kitmama
05-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, I use the newspaper fold- I lay the PF out flat with the liner on top, slide it up under littleman's butt, lay the liner over his penis, fold the PF, put the liner back with the diaper and wrap him up with a snappi to secure it. Does that make sense?

Saartje
05-30-2005, 09:20 PM
I do. Whoops, almost out of time, so I better make this quick.

I've hardly ever used either doublers or fleece liners with Ishie to date, but I've started doing it more often recently. I still use bikini twist most of the time: I lay the prefold under Ishie as I normally would, twist it but let it lie under him, place the doubler where I want it to go, and bring the doubler and the front half of the diaper up around him to Snappi. It works great for us so far.

I, too, am interested in trying more flats (especially since we're doing things like staying in hotels or going camping more often these days), so let me know what you find out about those, Sprish. ;)

pritchettzoo
05-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Did they start making fruit salad prefolds? ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

brigmaman
05-30-2005, 09:32 PM
I will. I just ordered a flat to try. Someone posted this link on MDC yesterday.
http://www.gumbush.com/
I read through the site and now I'm curious.

brigmaman
05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Lol. I think it can be done. I'm envisioning myself eventually being able to embellish them. Who was it that said her confidence exceeds her ability? Aliceinwonderland? Well, that's my situation, too.

brigmaman
05-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

pritchettzoo
05-30-2005, 09:41 PM
You can do it! It seems really easy. Just sewing in straight(ish) lines.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

caheinz
05-30-2005, 09:46 PM
At home, we're almost all prefolds during the day. (Not at night (SEZ) and we tend to use fitteds for outings.)

I got a bunch of Liz's Cloth doublers a while ago. They were cheap (maybe $2 each? I completely forgot, but cheap), and they're maybe 3 layers of hemp (fleece? it's smooth side out) + a layer of fleece. I didn't get them at the Liz's Cloth site, but I might have found them using Google, or there was a link here way way back when.

We use fleece rectangles. I think they were cut 5X12, but they continued to shrink. (They do eventually stop shrinking, but they had been washed 2-3 times before cutting!) The fleece is entirely in the dipe, and the snappi can help to keep things tight enough to hold everything in. (It's a lot easier now that we're well past the blowout stage!) Most of the fleece is up front, and as I recall, blowouts were more in the back, so it worked somehow...

We've had regular CPFs (unbleached) since Alex was about 4 months old, and they're still nowhere near being outgrown. Talk about simplicity and cost savings!!!

Have fun!

brigmaman
05-30-2005, 09:49 PM
You would think that blowouts would be up the back. I scratch my head every time I open Cadie's diaper and her mess somehow makes it's way up front. Odd.

tarahsolazy
05-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Forrest still poops up his front not infrequently. ICK! Its also in grabbing range, IKWIM? I would say I use 1/2 prefolds, 1/2 fitteds, it seems to go in waves. I would say (since I am the bragging type) that I am very experienced with PFs, at least up to 15mo! I do the angelwing fold, and don't need to fold the rise on the premium IPFs anymore. I lay a fleece liner inside the poo pocket at the back, lay the babe down, put the liner over his penis, then pull the dipe up snugly. With that fold, it doesn't impact the pocket functionality. I snappi, and voila! I can snappi a pf on much quicker than I can get a fitted on. DH trifolds the pfs in bummis wraps, and that is very quick, but not recommended until poo is solid, IMO. I stuff my nighttime pockets with flats, and was just using the Gerbers, but I bought nice birdseye ones from Granitesmith. I tried using them as dipes, but the 27x27 aren't quite big enough to get a good fold on Forrest, with my inadequate skills. I think 30x30 would work, and I keep meaning to try using the cheapie 30x30 receiving blankets I have. I do love flats as pocket stuffers, though, essentially no horrid stink! Sure the dipe smells like pee in the morning, but it doesn't singe your eyebrows off or anything, like hemp and thick MF inserts do, at our house.

I could have just stuck with PFs, and probably should have. I have never been unhappy with them, but I got sucked into cute.

I do like pocket fitteds/wool, or PUL pockets for night, though, I wouldn't want to do PFs at night in any baby bigger than a couple months.

KrisM
05-31-2005, 02:45 PM
We use mostly prefolds. We have fleece pockets for night and have left-over 3 medium FB for outings. Other than that, we’re all prefolds. I’ve tried a couple of fitteds in the past and they just don’t do anything for me. And by now, at 13 months, I’m much faster with a prefold than anything else, even the pockets with snaps.

We use regular size prefolds and don’t use a doubler at all. Andrew is not a heavy wetter at all. I do use fleece liners and do what everyone else says about bringing it up front before finishing the diaper folding. I mostly do the angel fold, but I’ve done it with bikini twist, too.

We’re probably going to go on a 1 week vacation this summer/fall and I was thinking about what we’ll do. I might get a couple of flats and give those a try, since they would dry so much faster. Thanks for reminding me of that!

maestramommy
06-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Can you tell me why you don't use PFs for night? It seems others don't either. Do some other types have more absorbancy, or better leak guard? I'd like to stick to PFs since they're cheaper, but I can see why fitteds or pockets would be more convenient for trips. BTW, can anyone point me to sites that sell PFs, covers and doublers? I already know naturalbabies and lilbunz.

mudder17
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Initially, prefolds will work for day and night. But most of us don't use it at night (once our babies start sleeping more than 4 hours) because even with a doubler, a prefold is not absorbent enough to go through the night. There are hemp prefolds that people use with hemp doublers that CAN go through the night, but otherwise, a regular prefold, even with a doubler is not enough for MOST older babies that sleep through the night (a few light wetters on these boards can, though).

Teresa (Teresa.smith at rocketmail dot com) is an awesome resource for prefolds and covers. As for doublers, I have a bunch you can use if you'd like. :)

Eileen

mommyj_2
06-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Getting to this late. I'm a prefolds girl. I always used PFs at night, but I used to have my DS pee on the potty when he woke up to nurse in the night. When he got older, I also figured out he didn't wet until right after he woke up. So, I would just take him to the bathroom right when he got up, and hardly ever had to deal with the soaking wet morning dipes that are the norm.
I've ordered PFs from Naturalbabies and from Granitesmith on Ebay, and they both have excellent customer service. I also have them on my NFB site. You can PM me for a BBB discount.

mudder17
06-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Just letting you know that Granitesmith on Ebay is the same person as Teresa Smith and you can e-mail her directly for things. She's very helpful and can help you figure out what you need. She'll even let you mix and match different types of prefolds (Indian, Euros, Chinese)

ETA: what's your NFB website?

Eileen

mommyj_2
06-01-2005, 08:41 PM
>Just letting you know that Granitesmith on Ebay is the same
>person as Teresa Smith and you can e-mail her directly for
>things. She's very helpful and can help you figure out what
>you need. She'll even let you mix and match different types
>of prefolds (Indian, Euros, Chinese)
>
>ETA: what's your NFB website?

Eileen,
It's here: http://www.naturalj.com
:)

KrisM
06-01-2005, 10:48 PM
We could use prefolds at night because DS is a light wetter, and have considered it. But, it would be wet material against his skin. In a pocket, which is what we do use, his skin is dry in the morning, which is nice. I'm still thinking about prefolds at night, but I need a good night cover for it and haven't decided what to get.

mommyj_2
06-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Kris,
Have you tried wool? I used Bumpy wool at night for a long time. I think maybe an Aristocrat or Lana cover might be good, although I haven't tried them.