PDA

View Full Version : Of Microfleece and Microfiber...

marcywench
05-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Okay, microfleece from Joann's. Use this as a liner. Prewash then cut out? About how big/shape?

Microfiber towels, if I'm understanding correctly, from the automotive dept can go between the prefold and the cover to help absorb, like for overnight? (I know this can't go against baby's skin.) I think I've read that certain color towels seems to work better?

Thanks!

mudder17
05-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Microfleece will shrink after a while, so prewashing it several times can help you keep it closer to the size you want. However, I think that's too much of a pain to prewash that many times, so I wash it once, cut it out to be slightly larger than I need and then wash it again. Initially it'll be on the big side, but it'll eventually be close to what I want. You can cut it as rectangles, hour glass shapes, wider in front or wider in back. It's really a matter of preference. I tend to like it wider in front because that's where Kaya tends to soak her diaper, so I figure wider in front will keep her feeling more dry. The size will depend on how big your diapers are, but if you have a diaper with a doubler, or if you have a doubler, I would cut it somewhat larger than the doubler.

For Microfiber towels, the towels in the automotive section are cheap, effective and it really doesn't matter that much whether you get blue, yellow, or white. The only thing about the colored ones is that they tend to bleed initially. However, I find that the white ones have more static cling. Who knows why? Right now I'm mostly using the blue ones (which of course, no longer bleed) and they work well. For naps and bed time or longer trips out, I like to use my Zannadu extra large microfiber towels in my pockets: http://www.zannadu.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16367&cat=327&page=1

They are much thicker and more absorbent than the automotive towels (worth at least 3 or 4 of them, although I've never done a direct test) and higher quality. I really love them and think they're worth the extra price (although she is having a sale right now).

However, as boosters for prefolds, the automotive towels would probably work fine. I haven't actually used them that way, but whenever I need an extra boost in my fitted diapers, I'll tuck a towel beneath the doubler or soaker of the diaper.

HTH!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

tarahsolazy
05-31-2005, 09:45 AM
I cut out rectangles of microfleece using Sugarpeas size one soakers as a general pattern, and also made some slightly larger, I think I used a medium JB? Anyway, I did this while 38 weeks pregnant. I am still using the same liners, and DS is 15 mo old!

marcywench
05-31-2005, 11:02 AM
You are a bad influence! I just snapped up her last 4 white towels. :)

Thanks for the advice!

marcywench
05-31-2005, 11:03 AM
I will be near a Joann's tomorrow. Microfleece it is!