PDA

View Full Version : WAAHHHH! I think PUL is giving DS a rash

nitaghei
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Sigh. It looks like DS's sensitivity to PUL just shot up. We've been battling a rash for about two weeks now. I finally made the connection between using the rash worsening, and using PUL dipes. We used wool and fleece this past long weekend, and the rash is finally gone.

I may have to sell my beloved Babyblankets and Knickernappies, which are the only PUL dipes we use now. WAAAAAHHHHH. I LOVE these dipes, and it's going to break my heart if I can't use them anymore. :(

BUT - I do have a fleece AIO from BijouBabygear on the way, and Andrea at Cherrybombbaby is trying to squeeze in one for me, as well.

And I'm going to have to convince a new daycare to use CDs soon. This child better potty train soon.

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

pritchettzoo
05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't know what a Knickernappie is, but does the PUL touch him? Aren't they both pockets? If so, maybe it's a detergent build up on the fleece (or whatever material is touching his skin) rather than the PUL?

:(

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

psophia17
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Would a CD that has a layer of something over the PUL work out?

mudder17
05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe it's not the PUL itself, but the fact that PUL is not breathable enough during the warmer weather? Honestly, Kaya had the same problem and I don't even bother trying PUL, not even during the winter.

You could try something where the PUL layer is sandwiched between two types of material to see if it's an allergy to the PUL or just the lack of breathability.

And like Anna suggested, you could also make sure that your PUL dipes are completely stripped (brush the fleece with a toothbrush and Dawn).

Sorry, but I know what it's like to get rid of all your PUL. I was so sad when I had to sell off all my beloved Snap-EZ, but I did. I'm getting a couple of fleece Snap-ez, though, so I'm really excited. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mommyj_2
06-01-2005, 02:15 AM
I feel your pain. DS had the same thing. That's why I love whisper pants so much. You can see cute prints on fitteds through them, and they didn't give my little man a rash. At least fleece works for you. It was also a problem for DS.

nitaghei
06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Yup! It's the breathability of the fabric, not PUL per se. I guess I could have been more lucid in what I wrote :) And I did strip every dipe fairly recently - because I had thought of detergent buildup as a cause for the rash.

Nita (wool is my crack)

nitaghei
06-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Anna,

A Knickernappie is a PUL pocket - super trim and adjustable. The medium is a "forever" medium - I swear it'll get us through potty training. One of the best fitting pockets ever.

And - like I said in the post below - I really should have been more clear. It's the lack of breathability that's causing the rash, I think. The weather just warmed up here. Neel's getting a rash in disposables too; but he's fine as long as we stick with wool and fleece.

But am I sick of handwashing poopy wool shells. :(

Nita (wool is my crack)

nitaghei
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
That's sad - that fleece doesn't work for you.

Unfortunately for us, we have to use AIOs and pockets - at least for daycare. I just can't see using fitteds and covers. The Babyblankets are such awesome dipes - so easy to use, and care for. I am going to be so sad to give them up.

Nita (wool is my crack)