PDA

View Full Version : CD Hell!! (NB issues...)

calebsmama03
05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
An about face post here from the sheer bliss of Luxe baby to the hell that is my CD world right now!

My NB stash is all fitteds. Mostly Kissaluvs 0 but also some heapies from babymarketplace to round out the stash (tiny tots flannel and some sherpa knock-offs of KL's). THESE THINGS SUCK!!!!! OMG! I cannot believe that my not even 2 week old is completely soaking through a KL in 2 hours!! Ugh - and the bulk! WHY, when a NB has a narrow stride does the dipe ortch need to be 5 INCHES wide?? Poor thing can't put her legs down :( I have some preemie PF's that I'd planned to trifold into proraps but the NB proraps are too long. She still has part of her cord attached - the bulky KL's knocked off the majority of the cord, even with the unbilical notch snapped down! And she is not a teeny NB like was. I cannot even imagine how I'd have gotten him into these things. The Tiny tots are way too big to even try - the legs gape hugely, so I'm doing dipe laundry every 1.5 days :( And the sherpa is so scratchy already, and it stains terribly! What am I doing wrong? I'm even mini-showering all the BF poopies off and spraying with bacout before putting into the pail! Am I just way hormonal right now, or do these dipes suck as badly as I think they do? They are sure cute for fluffy pis, but one pee and she's already through it (even on day 1, when I was trying to go coverless).

I am going to slowly start amassing a stash of OC and/or hemp NB fitteds for the next one. Meanwhile, any suggestions? Anyone have any decent NB dipes they're willing to "rent out" to me for a few weeks? If nothing else, anyone care to commiserate on how awful KL's are??? Anyone? The Huggies are starting to look mighty good, but I've PROMISED yself that Miss P is going to be CD'ed from day one full time. Thank goodness I'm stubborn otherwise who KNOWS what she'd be in right now....

Whew - venting feels good. DH and mom an't understand why I don't just chuck it all for sposies until she grows into my "good stuff".
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple due 5/21/05 - It's OK now, REALLY! You can come out any time..... Pretty PLEASE!! I'll buy you more cute diapers....

mudder17
05-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Aww, HUGS, Lynne! I'm sorry things aren't going so well in the newborn CDing right now. I only have kissaluv 0s, but you know what? I often found that I liked using the preemie prefolds more and eventually that's what we were using. If you want, I have 2 dozen preemie PFs that you can borrow. Can you angelfold them and snappi them and get them into a shorter cover?

For the staining, I didn't bother with stain removers for the most part. Instead I just minishowered most of it off (using fleece liners will help) and then sunned out any stains. But I think you're right--I think the sherpa stained more easily than my prefolds, although the prefolds also stained occasionally.

Anyway, offering my support! You can do it! :) (I'm stubborn like you are ;) )

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

pritchettzoo
05-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Deep breaths...in...out...

Okay, I loved KLs. But my DD was 10lbs. So maybe give them a little time. In a couple of weeks they will fit her like a glove! They aren't absorbent, but for us, I've always had to change every dipe at one pee. My DD pooped constantly, so it wasn't an issue. ;) I can't imagine NB proraps being too long! I couldn't fasten them on my girl! Hopefully someone with a normal-sized baby can help out here...

What I can offer:
Scratchy--throw a little Downey Advanced into the wash.
Stains--Zout.

And if Huggies will make your life easier right now, slap one on her. Seriously, let yourself off the hook! Sanity is much more important than fluff. But if you must prove DH and mom wrong, do you have any wool? It's supposed to work even over a stump because it can air out. Or fleece...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

brigmaman
05-31-2005, 06:03 PM
I didn't feel the Kissaluv either. Cadie peed right through them very early on. Ours stained horribly as well. I also had issues with elastic in a bunch of mine. The sizing was also inconsistent.
I used infant prefolds pretty early on. I folded them down. Not sure they'd be less bulky than Kissaluvs though. My favorite fitted was a Righteous Baby fitted that Carolee gifted to Cadie. It fit like a glove- not too long or bulky.
What are Miss P's measurements?

calebsmama03
05-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't love the KL's! I have elastic issues too, though mine were bought on the TP and seemed in mint condition but who knows?? I just assumed they were used more than the seller said, but maybe not? How long did the RB fit? Worth it for me to get a few now??

Anna - I'll try the downy advance. I'd been holding off due to the scent but would rather deal with that than scratchy sherpa. My wipes could use some fluffifying too :) I ran out of Zout but have put DH on a mission to bring some home tonight :) Hopefully it will help.

Eileen - I'm a PF idiot. Cannot get the darn things folded right, snappied, pinned, et. I mainly got the preemies for PP mamacloth (that's another review I'll have to do!) and figured for laundry emergencies I'd trifold them. I suppose I could try them out in my Cherry Bomb Baby fleece over. All I've got is that, the proraps and the pull ons. My wool and other stuff starts at small. :(

Thanks all for the hugs. I've got some fleece topped doublers that I had Liza custom make for C's ElBees and they fit pretty well so I've been putting those in and they help. She is just now (at 13 days) fitting the KL on the tightest snaps without huge leg gapes so maybe the fit issue will improve but the absorbancy is NIL. Bummer since they are cute :( At least it seems our Bummis whisper pants and Dappi pull ons are bulletproof! Even with crappy fit I've not had the blowouts and leaks of sposies! Just not the smooth start I'd hoped for...
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05

toomanystrollers
05-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Hang in there Lynne!! I only got boring old prefolds to rent ya :) Most of the cute fluff didn't come in handy 'til around 3 months.

KrisM
05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
We started with trifolded prefolds. A lot of poop on the covers, but none out of them, usually. It took me a few weeks to figure out the Snappi. Practice on a stuffed animal or something.

I thought KL were okay. I was changing him every 1.5 hours, but he pooped all the time, so we didn't really have absorbancy issues.

I hope things get better for you and you find something that works.

mommyj_2
05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
Hugs to you! Do you have a stuffed animal or doll you can use to practice the snappi? Prefolds were my favorite for the newborn (and every other) phase. I used those with whisper pants. The whisper pants seemed huge on DS at first, but they still held everything in. Sorry you're getting off to a rough start. Hang in there! We're all here for you. I wish I had some nice fluff I could send your way. I only have PFs, and I'm using them as doublers in DS' training pants.

C99
05-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I agree: KLs aren't very absorbant. My NB stash is almost all mainstream diapers and nothing is very absorbant, but Rose seems to be doing OK in them. The couple of times I've put Rose in a PF, she's pooped straight out the sides -- even though I know how to use a Snappi. But Eileen is right: the bigger they get, the better the KLs fit. Rose seems to be fine in them now and i'm stil snapping on the lower line of snaps. I often think that elbees would make great NB dipes, but who the hell can afford them for the 4-6 months they'd wear them?!?

mudder17
05-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Like others, the KLs weren't very absorbent, but we were changing diapers very often, so it wasn't an issue. The prefolds definitely fit better at first, and it took some practice to snappi them. Funny thing is, DH was teaching me tricks with getting the gussets just right because he changed her diapers for the first 2 weeks (I was on modified bedrest and NO LIFTING). We still got poop on the covers once a day or so, but it wasn't too bad and no poop on clothes!

If Sophie is peeing right through the kissaluvs, I suppose you could always use the preemie PFs as doublers? Of course that would be super bulky, but it might work for night. But once you can get the cover to fit, I would just use the PFs until she grows into the KLs.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

squimp
05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
I remember those first days of newborn diaper tuning. It was hard! But I was stubborn, too, so I know whatcha mean.

Kissahate here. They were just a big stinky stained mess for me. I quit worrying about the stains for the most part. They cleaned up with Zout or sun before I sold them - all. I just loved prefolds, and prefolds with a fleece-topped MOE doubler for "nights". I might try prefitteds if/when there's a next time around.

Chel05
05-31-2005, 11:14 PM
>Anna - I'll try the downy advance. I'd been holding off due
>to the scent but would rather deal with that than scratchy
>sherpa. My wipes could use some fluffifying too :) I ran out
>of Zout but have put DH on a mission to bring some home
>tonight :) Hopefully it will help.
>

I'm not much help with the NB dipes, but just to let you know Ultra Downy does come in a scent free version called free and sensitive in a white bottle. Just use the Downy ball and you're all set. HTH

Blessings,
Michele

Uxor
06-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I feel your pain. I didn't have much luck eith them either and for pretty much the same reasons. I won't ever buy any more of them. I also had some motherease sandys that I tried out at the same time. They ween't the most absorbant diaper in the world but they never leaked and were easier to make them fit properly. You might want to try prefolds. Thats what most of my stash is now and they are pretty absorbant and would probably work well on a nb.

niccig
06-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Use hemp/microfleece doublers. That's what I had to do as DS was and still is a supersoaker. Yep, it's bulky but he wasn't as wet. I still had to change him very frequently. We're now all hemp fitteds with extra doublers for this reason. I also waited until the cord stump fell off as all the covers, even NB proraps seemed to rub it. It will get better, you know that so hang in there until she fits your good stuff.
Nicci

tarahsolazy
06-01-2005, 03:21 PM
ITA on the Kissahate, you are the best, Jana! LOL!

I sold all 15 of mine as soon as Forrest outgrew them.

I used mostly prefolds, which worked well, did have poo on a cover about every day, but I used Green Earth and Bummi's pull ons, so no big deal!

tarahsolazy
06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
You should try one or two of these, they certainly look better than KL0 to me! In fact, if you want to try mine, LMK. I have four new NB/SM Loveybums waiting for a theoretical 2nd baby. Ms. Purple could test drive them. Email me if interested.

calebsmama03
06-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Tarah -
You're so sweet to offer but I'm afraid they'd get a stain or something and wouldn't want to ruin pristine Loveybums for your #2! I am eyeing them on the LB site now though and trying to justify spending the money to try one.... Wonder how long they'd fit?
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05

brittone2
06-02-2005, 10:09 AM
We did what Tarah did...prefolds and GE covers. The PFs were a pretty bulky folded over but they worked. GE held the poop in pretty well with the leg gussets. We didn't start CDing until DS was about 18 days old though.