PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switch to CDing prior to potty training?

HeatherW
05-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone used dispos. dipes and then switched to CD for potty training. I should have gone to CDing long ago, but my mother takes care of DD while I work and my mother just doesn't have time to deal with the CDs. But, I may be able to convince her of my switch for potty training purposes.

Anyone done this? Any pros/cons?

Any suggestions on what and how much to buy?

Thank you.

mommyj_2
05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
I CDed from day one, but you could definitely switch to cloth. A lot of moms like cloth for potty learning, since your DC can feel when s/he wets, whereas s/he will feel dry in sposies. Also, from what I've heard, Pull up sposies are quite expensive.
How many diapers does your DD usually go through in a day? I would get twice that many, so you won't have to wash them every day. If your mom wants a really easy system, you could go with something like the Bummis training pants. These are pull on, and they will only contain one accident. The advantages of these are that your DD will be able to feel when she's wet, and they're one piece, so she can learn to pull them up and down by herself. I've heard these run large, but that a loose fit will make it easier for your DC to pull them up. Another option is to get Gerber training pants, put hemp doublers in them, and then put a nylon cover (like Bummis whisper pants) over that. This system is more work, but it's cheaper. I do that most of the time, since I already had whisper pants.

Uxor
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I haven't actually gottn to the potty training stage yet. But, everyone I know in real life has told me that pullups make it harder to potty train and that they got now where till they switched to cloth and let the child have accidents. As I said, I have no experience. This is just what I have heard. Good luck!!

toomanystrollers
06-01-2005, 02:06 PM
How old is your DD now? - then we can help with suggestions, etc. :)

I switched DS to cloth when he turned two. He pottytrained right around his 3rd birthday - in about a week :)

kozachka
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I switched DS to cloth at around 14 months and he's been diaper free as of 15.5 months during the day, including naps. We've been ECing since he was about 2.5 months. I still pull his pants up and down but he'll sign or grunt when he's got to go. DS will also go on the potty on his own if he's nakeybutt.

Cloth def. made the transition easier but I am not sure if it was cheaper than sposies. I'll know when and if I sell my cloth diapers. It was certainly better for DS butt and to us that was enough. And I like the fact that I contribute to preserving environment for my son. If you do switch to cloth for PT/PL make sure that there is no fleece or suedecloth next to your DD's skin, they repell liquids. And no cover, at least at home, so that you know when your DD went.

You can also make sure your DD feels wet by putting a paper towel/piece of fabric in a regular diaper and snapping them loose. Didn't know about this trick until after DS was in briefs ;).

Not to discourage you but DS did not really potty learn until after I put him in underwear. CDs were more of a crutch for *me*, the way to learn DS elimination patterns without mopping floors all the time.