PDA

View Full Version : anyone use both?

jhrabosk
06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm only going to be able to stay home for the first two months, then the little one will be in F/T daycare at a center. I'm 99% sure that this will mean that I won't have a choice...must use disposables. My eco-friendly side isn't so happy with this.

Does anyone know anything or have any good resources with info about using both (e.g., disposables at daycare, cloth when DH and I are around)? I don't know whether this is possible (someone mentioned to me that it might cause diaper rash), but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks!
Jessica

nitaghei
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
We started out that way - DS has been in daycare since he was 4 months old. We switched to CD'g part-time when DS was 8 months old, and full time at 14 months. I would definitely ask your daycare about using CDs - and make sure to take along the dipes you want to use. It was an easy sell when I showed them aplix pockets - which look and function exactly like disposables. NOT your mother's - or grandmother's- CDs (flats, pins and plastic pants). I can't see asking a daycare to use prefolds or fitteds and covers - that's just too much work. I provide a pail, and pick up the used dipes every afternoon, and bring fresh dipes every morning.

FWIW, DS is actually in a daycare center. I researched the regs first to make sure that there wasn't any legal barrier to using CDs. Once I had that information, it wasn't that hard to persuade them to give CDs a try. We've now been using CDs at daycare for over a year.

We're going to be moving soon, and I will have to convince a new daycare in a new state to use CDs. sigh. So not looking forward to that. But disposables do give DS rash, so really aren't an option for us anymore.

HTH

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2005, 03:29 PM
I use disposables at daycare and cloth at home with no problems.

squimp
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
We have never had trouble switching back and forth, but I have found that sposie wipes give DD diaper rash. It only happens if we use them all day every day (like when we're traveling). So hopefully it won't be a problem when we start part time DC this summer.

I have found that I almost have to have two separate sets of pants for sposies and cloth, especially now that we're in the 2T size....

danagee
06-02-2005, 09:33 PM
I stay at home and switch between both. Sposies every night and AIO's approx. every other day - just for fun! Anyway, no problems here except that normally, once the AIO's go on, the shorts have to come off because there's not enough room in most of DS's shorts for those fluffy boom booms!

jhrabosk
06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Thank you all for input! I'd feel so much better about going disposable, even if it ends up being part-time.

tarahsolazy
06-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I assume you mean you'll feel better using cloth? LOL! You've got mama-brain already.

jec2
06-03-2005, 09:01 PM
we use both. DS is in daycare 15 hours/week and uses sposies there. DH has fallen off the cd wagon. we have no problems with switching back and forth.

C99
06-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I use both, but for a different reason -- cloth at home on my newborn, sposies when out. With my son, I used cloth until he was around 2, and then switched to disposables due to a difficult pregnancy and now he has an opinion on CDs...

danagee
06-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Sorry I'm slow....what's his opinion on cds?
Dana