PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you watch EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION???-what do you think about nominating a family for such a makeover

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-06-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't normally think I'd have a chance at getting any of my recommendations on a TV show etc... but the first time I saw this show I instantly thought of Jen from Mom and Me for such a home makeover. Not only because of Samuel's cancer...which would be the main reason to supply him a nice haven at home since he has been away from it for so long...but for several other reasons.

It might have been the day it first aired but I was going thru her website and had never known until then that Jen was considered legally blind...I don't think I am sharing anything that is not out there on the net for I don't know her on a personal level at all and read this from her journal. But when I read that I was just amazed at the women she is to run such an excellent business from her home, who caters to many of us...

and then just reading how she is as a mom...a women...a wife...she has influenced me from things I have read...

I don't know she seems like she'd have a perfect scenrio to win in my eyes...I can just see them making her a sewing room!!!! and as a mom to 4 children one being a newborn when Sam was diagnosed there just seems to be alot that can be done...

and then that she has home birthed atleast two of her children (maybe all four I don't know)...I just think something could be done to honor that...a tranquil space in the home etc...a tree in the house!!! Something!!!!

I could start the process and write up the little I know...but I know little little ...and would have to defer to others who might know her more to really put the icing on the cake or to share things I would not know...

What do you all think???...I have sat on my tush everytime I see the show, mention of the show, an ad for the show and think about this and last night after placing my order with her I was embarrased that I have not acted on this strong gut feeling...

Many of you ladies have followed their journey more than I...do you think I/we would have a shot at nominating them????
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

toomanystrollers
06-06-2005, 02:23 PM
OMG!!! LOVE THE IDEA!!! Jen & her family are the absolute perfect candidates!! LMK what I can do to help - we can get a ton of people of her Yahoo list to write letters too!

toomanystrollers
06-06-2005, 02:25 PM
OK here's the info:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/casting.html

Looks like we need to get Jen to nominate herself! and shoot a video.

DebbieJ
06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
That is such a great idea, Neve!

I love that show!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I think looking it over that we can nominate her for it does say "are you a friend or the family"...but they require her it appears to send in a video/pics etc...

How do you get on her yahoo group...do you think as a group we could do something to figure out the best marketing we can do here for them...
I have some great idea...it does appear she needs to be made privy to this and to give the OK to nominate her...

I just think they would be the perfect family.

Neve

brigmaman
06-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow. That's such a great idea. She is an inspiration as a mother and as a businesswoman. I only know what I read in Samuel's Updates, but this seems to be an amazing family.

mudder17
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Wow, what an awesome idea! I have never seen the show, but it seems like they would be the perfect candidates. If there's anything I could do to help (like write letters), please let me know.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

todzwife
06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
OH yes! That is an excellent idea!!!

kitmama
06-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I'd be happy to write a letter if you need it! I don't know anything about the show, but from what I've heard it sounds like a good idea!

pritchettzoo
06-06-2005, 10:08 PM
What a cool idea! Let me know what to do! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

dowlinal
06-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Neve,

I think this is a fabulous idea. Please let me know if I can help in anyway. I got to know Jen when Madeline was a newborn and she is just amazing. She rushed a pouch to me because I had a new babe. Since Samuel became sick I have continually been amazed at her strength and courage.

A

downwarddog
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Neve,
That sounds great! I don't know Jen at all but hearing about her through the boards... she sounds like a great candidate! I don't know what I can do, but if there's anything, I'll do it! I watch the show all the time, & it seems right up their alley. What they could do for her!!!! :-)

~Lenore
Mom to Acadia, 9/28/04

jec2
06-08-2005, 03:57 PM
awesome idea neve :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-09-2005, 11:41 AM
For the website (thanks Pam for the link) said we need her permission...I am reading it that she can nominate self or we can...but either way she needs to do the video and the instructions are pretty clear as to all family needs to be involved etc...

So my take is using her yahoo group for us to brainstorm and come up with a way of marketing what they have been thru...
and go from there...
it might be best for her to write the schpiel for it might involve finance situations etc... which only she would be privy to but could help in the decision making etc...

But if we could help her with ideas and her passions etc...

I am excited about this...I personally think they are a slam dunk for this kind of thing...a family going thru a lot with a lot of passions and love...

:)

Neve

JElaineB
06-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Not to be a downer, but the Extreme Makeover website specifically says not to encourage letter writing campaigns. See #6 below:

----
If changing your house will truly change your lives, download an application now!

1) Download an Application and Casting Shot List (click on the link above).
2) Complete the application
3) Shoot the video per the shot list (borrow a camera from someone if you don't have one)
4) Review your video for audio and/or video glitches
5) Mail in your video, pictures and application
6) Please DO NOT encourage letter writing campaigns, phone calls or other means of support.
7) Know that it takes up to SIX months to review an application and tape because we receive about 10,000 applications each week!
8) Also know that although we'd love to, we can't help everyone. So please understand we DO NOT respond to letters and applications nor do we mail back photographs, videotapes or applications. Please do not send us anything of sentimental value.
----
And it sounds like they really only want the family on camera during the taped interview. I think help with the application process itself (written application plus video) would be great if someone has that expertise, but I don't think there is much the BBB community can do as a whole besides encourage Jen to apply.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-09-2005, 12:18 PM
...yet hadn't seen this part of the application so glad that you shared it...it kinda sux for I am now only able to suggest it and she will be having to do all of the work but I agree encouraging her that she could easly qualify might be the only thing we can do...

people who know her more might have ideas of some points in her life that could help her that she might not think of ...I shared a few ideas but I know very very very little...

Thank you for this info...
Neve

aliceinwonderland
06-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Awesome...I have not follwed Jen's story as closely as some others here, but I know the basics and agree that this is an amazing idea!!

e.

mommyj_2
06-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm getting to this really late. I've heard that people who win makeovers end up having to pay huge taxes on the upgrades made to their houses. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, I'm thinking it would end up being a huge burden on the family.
But...if that's not the case, this is really a fabulous idea. Jen is such an amazing mom and person, and she definitely deserves this kind of thing.
Neve, it is really sweet of you to have thought of this.

Bethann31
06-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I think it sounds like a fabulous idea, and if anyone deserves it more, I don't know who it is. That being said, though, Jen has mentioned in her journal many times that she wants to move out of that house and away from there. I don't know why, it may just be that the house holds horrible memories, but I would hate to do something that would make them feel like they need to stay somewhere they really want to leave.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

mama2kyla
06-15-2005, 02:10 AM
actually there is a way to get around this usually... I have heard what they do is "rent out" the house to ABC for a week. Any improvements made to your house while its being rented out you are not responsible for taxes on, i believe. I read that somewhere, cant remember where tho :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I heard back from Jen almost instantly...a sweet and wonderful email...I have not had a chance to respond to her yet and want to ask her if I can share your response here before I do...

But she says they are not in their dream home and property and thus that she wouldn't be a candidate for this since she hopes to not only leave her home at some time but to move locations all together.

She is AMAZING...her email was very touching and I honestly don't know how she does it all...and she shared she has a horse that she has raised since birth too!!!!!

Amazing!!!!
Sorry just now responding...dwats I could just see her and then when she mentioned the horse I was certain they'd be selected...
Neve

KrisM
06-15-2005, 09:24 AM
But aren't property taxes levied on the market value of the house? That's how it is here and if we do improvements our market value increases.