PDA

View Full Version : Swim diapers

morgan47
06-06-2005, 03:19 PM
I've done a search on this here but I still have questions. I understand that swim diapers are for catching poop, but what about pee? And what about BM poop (not solid)? Is it OK if the baby pees in the swim diapers? If you're using a cloth swim diaper (like Bumpys) and the baby poops, what do you do? Do you have to buy more than one of these so you can change the baby as if it were a regular diaper?

I use cloth diapers so I'll probably get cloth swim diapers. How many do I need? Are they good at containing BF poop in a 5-8 month old?

Thanks!

pritchettzoo
06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Neither disposable nor cloth swim diapers absorb pee. Otherwise they would absorb the whole swimming pool! The pools are chlorinated and baby pee just goes into the great collective... (So don't change your baby until you are going into the water or there will be a puddle in your car seat!)

We used the iPlay swim diapers from Target last year. I think they were $5.99 each? DD never pooped in them, so I don't know what happens! If you're going to be swimming a lot, I would get at least two. The legs are supposed to fit tightly (you'll see elastic marks around their thighs afterwards), but that's what keeps the poop inside. Once you start solids, the consistency will change greatly. So maybe your baby won't poop in the pool until closer to the end of the summer... ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

jlk_curious
06-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure how well these work but I just saw some swim diapers on Punkin butts that are supposed to contain pee and poop. You have to order 6+ or else there is a 4 - 6 wait period. G/L.

morgan47
06-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Hee hee, the "great collective!" Thanks for the laugh and the info. I think I understand how it all works now. My little guy will be starting solids (cereal) next month, so I'm sure there will be some solid poops by the end of the summer.