PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy Daycare Mamas, what do you recommend?

jec2
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Finn's new daycare allows CD's (hurray!) and I am wondering if I should

toomanystrollers
06-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Go with applix AIOs mama :) -Bumkins, ME,...

mudder17
06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Yay! I think Aplix AIOs would probably be the easiest for them, and since the Bumpy's are so affordable, I'd probably go that route. Our church daycare will change her diaper into a pocket or a fitted with a cover, but at most, they only need to make one change on Sundays, so it's not too difficult for them. I just make sure she has on her Pickle Pants or some other pull-up wool shorts/soaker and then tell them to change her into one of the fitteds and put the wool back on. They definitely can handle that, but as I said, at most they only have to be able to change one diaper, so it's not too confusing for them. If Kaya were to stay all day, I would probably give them all pockets, and possibly aplix pockets, although they're pretty good with snaps as well.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

starfish03
06-07-2005, 07:45 PM
My daycare does best with my FB's. My HH prints have trouble with them wicking and causes too many changes. I have some various other dipes and they just add to the confusion. I've never had any trouble with the FB's. As long as your system is not complicated, I don't think you will have any trouble. Just send something that is ready to put on the child.

I do send DS to school in other things - I just leave FB's for the school.

tarahsolazy
06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I voted for Bumkins AIOS, but I think you could get a few different kinds of applix AIOs. I had a few Bum-Ware AIOs that were great, they're a WAHM product, she makes them custom and FAST, and they're almost as cheap as the Bumkins. I also like Angelwraps, although they're more expensive, and the Very Baby AIOs. I like QD soakers, Forrest is a light wetter, and I have issues with stink with thick internal soaker dipes.

jec2
06-07-2005, 11:43 PM
thanks tarah for the other wahm suggestions! I'm going to do some research here :) I am so excited.

nitaghei
06-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Aplix pockets and AIOs are the only way to go for daycare, IME.

I love my Babyblankets pockets - they have been the workhorse of our day care stash for over a year. I really like Angelwraps (aplix AIOs) for daycare too - and they are instock. Bumkins AIOs are another inexpensive option.

Wouldn't recommend FBs or anything with snaps - they invariably get messed up. And absolutely no fitteds. Or PFs. Just too many opportunites for user error.

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

jec2
06-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Medium or larges? Ok, so I am off to pick up some of these AIOs. But, Finn is right on the cusp between a medium and large for the weight (33" and about 24 lbs.) for most of these. He has a medium long VBAIO that fits awesome, and medium FB's that are still working well for us. Larges seem to be a bit roomy on him but we do have a few mudpie larges.

Any suggestions on how any of these run as some don't even have measurements for them only weight ranges.

squimp
06-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm assuming you mean Bumkins AIO (not Bumpy's). I've been reading that the Bumkins are not so absorbent. I did just buy two, and the larges seem HUGE. Definitely igger than their large covers. They are several layers of flannel. I got them on Pam's recommendations, and posting of cute Neve in Naartjie....And we needed some white dipes :)

I'd go with FBs, or whatever you have the most of. But at DC they probably change pretty frequently, maybe more so that I would at home (e.g., every 2 hours, rather than 2-3 which is my style).

I love Angelwraps AIOs, they're pricey, but I've seen a few boy prints floating around on BBBSwap.

nitaghei
06-08-2005, 04:01 PM
I'd go with larges, and see if the WAHMs can put on crossover tabs. I bought large Babyblankets when Neel could still fit into medium FBs (14 months), and he was on the cusp of sizing. The BBs will take him through potty training (please let it be soon) - but he's long since outgrown the medium FBs.

Though if Finn is long and skinny like Neel, a medium long, if you can find it, would be the best size. Neel always outgrows a dipe by rise, never waist or thighs. And I haven't had any luck with finding medium longs.

Nita (fleece is my friend)

new_mommy25
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Another affordable aplix AIO's are Kooshies. I have a friend that used them exclusively and she loves them.

jec2
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
heehee, yes, I meant bumkins! I get all the bumpy/bumkin/bummis names confused all the time :)

Yikes, though...I want something that is absorbant and not HUGE! The mudpie larges are a bit too big on my guy. Not that mudpie's set the standard, but ykwim.

squimp
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
There does seem to be some overlap between med and large FBs, if that helps. Sophia went to larges before she reached Finn's height and weight.

nitaghei
06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Just thought about this - AngelDry also has aplix AIOs. I didn't think about it earlier, because I have wool from her. And the dipes are really inexpensive - not much more than Bumkins AIOs, and probably much more absorbent. She does true AIOs, and AIOs with snap-in soakers. And Steph is fast, and she'll work with you to get every detail the way you want it.

The wool is amazingly trim - so surely the PUL dipes can't be bulky?

mudder17
06-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I forgot about those! Our twins at the church have worn Kushies exclusively since they were newborn (with the exception of the preemie PFs and kissaluvs that they borrowed when they were first born) and they love them. Our church daycare definitely loves them. They don't even mind that there's a piece of fleece on top (to keep them feeling dry).

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

tarahsolazy
06-08-2005, 09:22 PM
If you decide to get any Angelwraps, go with the mediums. They run big. Forrest is a large in pretty much everything, and he wears a medium Angelwraps with still a bit of grow room. I had toddler Bum-Ware, and they fit well. For comparison, Forrest fits in a large Mudpie AIO on the second to tightest snaps, and I like the fit. (I have one lonely Mudpie)

emelsea
06-10-2005, 07:22 AM
And Kelly's Closet is having a sale on the Kushies (the same as Kooshies, right?). I think they are 6 for $38.

ETA: Oops, my mistake, the diapers that are that price are just fitteds, not AIO's. I'm sorry.

houseof3boys
06-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I voted in the poll but clicked the FB instead of AIO's!!!!!!

Just wanted to add that we are exclusively FB's for Ryan since he is an applix bandit and takes them off every chance he can. The snaps are always done "wrong" on his FB's despite my going over how to do it 3 times already. I just trust that he will continue his first thing in the morning poop so I don't have to worry about that aspect of it. Snaps are way too difficult for people that aren't used to CDing. :P

jec2
06-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I really appreciate the feedback and help! We had our "intake" mtg. today and the lead teacher confirmed that cloth as accepted, although she hasn't seen cloth diapers in about 4 years so the idea of an AIO and aplix etc. was totally a foreign concept. I am going to pick up some Bumkins AIO's and probably take some FB's to see which Finn's primary caregiver will prefer.

So, I do have a few more questions:

1) What pail? I need one with a tight fitting lid (so not the sterilite that everyone uses)

2) Do they just put the poopy diaper in the pail and then I clean poopies when I bring them home each night?

3) How many dipes do you think I should keep on hand each day? I don't want to wash his daycare dipes daily but I don't want to go hog wild either. He will be there about 6 hours each day & probably 5 days per week. I was thinking about a dozen daycare diapers so two days worth and then a stack of sposies "just in case."

toomanystrollers
06-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Hey mama :),

For the Bumkins, Neve's wearing a large & the applix can almost meet in the middle. FWIW, she's 28 lbs & on the tall & lanky side. I also put a fleece-topped, hemp doubler inside. On average, she'll wear a Bumkin for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs.

For a pail, what about a zippered pail bag. I love mine from www.happytushies.com - no odors & no leaks.

For the poopy dipes, what do they do with disposables - do they flush any poop before they chuck the sposie? If they do, then I imagine they could flush any solid, roll-on-out poops!! LOL

HTH

nitaghei
06-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Juliet,

I actually have the Sterilite can for daycare. Though the one I have at home might be better - it's a Rubbermaid, with a pop-up lid. I don't remember where I got it, though. :(

Generally, yes, the caregiver just puts the poopy dipe in, and I clean it later. It really isn't that bad.

As for the number of dipes, I leave 5 every day. DS usually needs 4 changes, but he's there for 8 hours. My guess is that you'll probably only need 3 plus one as a back up. At DS's daycare they change every two hours, or earlier if there's a poopy dipe. I think that's pretty standard? I do wash twice a week. That means I need dipes for 3 full days - so 12 dipes plus a couple as back up. If you wash more often than I do, you'll need fewer dipes. So, if you wash every two days, you might only need 8 dipes.

BTW, FBs are perfectly good as back up dipes, if you already have them, even though I prefer aplix dipes as the main stash.

HTH

mudder17
06-13-2005, 09:25 AM
You might want to check with them about the poopies. In our church daycare, if we get a poopy diaper, they have a faucet/sink that is also a toilet, so they just dump/wash everything into the toilet and put the wet diaper in the bag. They do the same thing with sposie poops. Funny thing is that DH forgot about that and the one time he changed her poopy diaper (she had just pooped when he got there), he put the entire poopy diaper in the bag for me to deal with when we got home. It really wasn't that bad, but obviously it would have been nice of him if he had washed it down the sink/toilet the way they usually do. :)

Eileen

ribbit1019
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
We use a zippered wet bag too. Very nice, grab and go.
MIL doesn't take the poop out of DD's dipes, I have lots of fun with them every night. the concept of flushing poop out of 'sposies escapes her too.
DD gets changed 4 times between 7:45 and 5pm. I pack 6 dipes each day JIC and keep 5 'sposies there (MIL's request) But I would say any more then 6 would be over kill.

Christy
Maddy aka "Little Miss Squirmy Monster"

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif