PDA

View Full Version : Wool cover for chunky thighs

niccig
06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I got a medium Loveybums wool jersey cover off the last stocking and we've only used it a handful of times, but on the loosest snaps it gaps at the waist and leaves awful red marks on DS's legs. So, I need to part with it (sob because it's sooo trim and soft). I have 2 AngelDry covers on the way, but what other wool will work for chunky thighs? I was thinking of trying bumpy wool, I have a few nikky wool that he's grown out of in the thighs as well and Bumpy is a similiar style but with a better size range. I would like somthing trimish if possible.
TIA
Nicci

holliam
06-08-2005, 10:47 AM
We're all about chunky thighs here! The key for us is side-snapping wool. Nothing front snapping fits her because we cannot get the waist-to-thigh ratio right.

Holli

nitaghei
06-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Wildoats are awesome side-snapping wool covers and WIOs. They work for my skinny kid, but might work for chunky thighs as well. DS's thighs are maybe 11.5", tops, and he's wearing a large on the tightest settings.

www.wildoatsdiapers.com

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

psophia17
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm having good luck with soaker shorts - DS has sausage thighs, and they are pretty snug (think bike shorts). Other pull-on styles might work well for you, too.

And like the PP, I much prefer side-snapping for DS - front snapping is always too tight in the thigh and too loose in the waist.

mudder17
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Don't get the Bumpy Wool! I liked it for a while, but as Kaya's thighs chunked out, it started leaving red marks on her legs. I agree with other posters that side-snapping wool covers and pull-on soakers are actually the best wool covers for Kaya. Funny thing is that I'm starting to find some FS diapers that fit her well, but with covers, the Angeldry is the only front-fastening (aplix) cover that fits very well and doesn't leave awful red marks on her legs.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

nohomama
06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
The absolute best fitting wool cover ever for my baby girl with ginormous thighs is Fussybutt. Good luck getting one. There's only, like, a gazillion mamas who want one. Christy's stockings are mayhem.

niccig
06-08-2005, 07:29 PM
OK, so now I'm searching for side snapping wool covers. Other than Wild Oats (emailed asking for measurements) and Fussybutt (I'll NEVER get one of these), what are my options? Is sugarpeas and stacinator stretch too bulky?

Eileen - Steph at AngelDry is making a medium cover with a small rise - it should be perfect for Barrett.

ETA. I have a picklepants soaker on the way - if it fits well, that may be my answer for wool covers w/o red marks. My mum is a great knitter, maybe I can get her to make some. She'll think I've gone nuts!

TIA
Nicci

tarahsolazy
06-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Sugarpeas would work well, I think. Check out Tykie Diapers, www.tykiediapers.com . Ann just stocked today, and she has several nice wool side snap covers very reasonably priced. Her sewing is impeccable.

holliam
06-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Most of mine are hard to get too, unfortunately. We have great fit with Fussybutt, Bizzy B Hive, Celtic Wool Creations, Luxbaby.

Oh, what about a FuzEasy from Fuzbaby? I don't have one, but they might be a good fit for chunky thighs. I second the Tykies recommendation too, but I think her sizing runs small.

Holli

nitaghei
06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
I realllllly want that dragonfly fleece AIO - but just too much $$$ for my budget right now. :( I've been yearning to try a Tykies since you rave about them, but just can't see spending $35 on a dipe Neel really doesn't need. :(

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

niccig
06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Tarah - Thanks for the tykie rec. I got a large - I checked her measurements and while I think it will be big in the rise, the thighs will fit. The medium on the loosest setting is 10.5" and his thighs are 10" so I can't get that. Oh well, he may have bulkier bubble butt but at least no red marks.

Holli - I'll look into your suggestions but I don't think I've got a chance of getting any hyena covers. But I'll see what the measurements are for fuzbaby. I wish all site would give the measurement range for their sizes. Weight alone is not enough information.

If I like the picklepants soaker, I may look at getting more. And I'll talk to my mum about knitting for us. Does anyone know of a good pattern? I know you can buy the little turtle knit patterns - any others.

holliam
06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey there.. make sure you look at the FuzEasy side-snapping ones.

One thing though, chunky may be relative. LOL We are working with 12.5-13" thighs here so you may have a lot more options than we do! She wears mostly mediums, but in anything that is 2-sized system, she is in the larger of the two sizes.

Holli

tarahsolazy
06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Wool cover patterns:

www.littleturtleknits.com
www.fernandfaerie.com
www.woolywonder.com
www.holysheepyarns.com

I have personally knit stuff from little turtle knits, fern and faerie, and wooly wonder. I've been pleased with all the patterns. The fern and faerie and wooly wonder perfection patterns are all based on each child's measurements, so its easier to get a great fit.

Oh, and you may be surprised on the Tykies. My son could wear a large at 5 months, and had 13in thighs at the time. He needed the loosest thigh snap! Now, he can wear the same diapers but on tighter snaps, his thighs are trimmed down now to about 11.5, I think.

niccig
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
So I'm going to try fuzeasy and sugarpeas, but which sugarpeas. What's the difference between wool flannel and wool jersey?

Holli, I know chunky thighs are relative. Barrett's 5 1/2 months, his waist is 15 inches and thighs 10", I'm just having trouble getting something to fit both - maybe he takes after me, I always have trouble finding good fitting trousers!

I'll look into the patterns for soakers. I just wish I remembered the knitting lessons from my mum so I didn't have to bother her.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll find something that works.
Nicci

nohomama
06-09-2005, 02:24 PM
>What's the difference between wool flannel and wool jersey?

Wool flannel is what Pendelton shirts are made out of. Wool jersey has quite a bit of stretch and I tend to think of it as being lighter weight but that isn't necessarily so.

tarahsolazy
06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
If you might want to use it at night, go with the flannel. Those are bomb-proof. If you just want it for day, I really like the jersey, much stretchier and softer, IMO.

And hey, what grandma wouldn't want to knit for her grandson!

niccig
06-09-2005, 05:55 PM
>And hey, what grandma wouldn't want to knit for her grandson!

That's what I'm hoping. If she's motivated, she will make him something that's beautiful. She made the most amazing underwater scene quilt, crib skirt, curtains and diaper stacker - and even hand-dyed fabric when she couldn't find what she wanted. She's already knitted him a few cardigans and booties, so I hope I can convince her to make wool shorties.

Nicci

niccig
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Mum agreed to try knitting soakers and shorties. She liked the look and options of the Little Turtle Knit patterns, so we're going to try those. It will be a little while before they're done as she lives in Australia and it takes about a week for parcels to get here. At first she's going to use wool she already has, and if she makes more we'll look for some other yarn. Tarah, what yarn has worked best for your knitting?
I wish I was as creative as my mum.
Nicci

holliam
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
There are so many great sources. My DH knits soakers, and we hang out at this wonderful site full of WAHM knitters and grandma and mama soaker knitters: http://www.woolywonder.com/forums

Holli

tarahsolazy
06-09-2005, 08:56 PM
I like the merino yarn at www.handpaintedyarn.com . Its extremely soft.

I also like Blue-Face Leicester wool, which I have bought from wooly wonders by Nada. She's got a store at HyenaCart.

Anything 100% wool that's fairly soft will work well. I bet there is lots of great Australian wool out there for your Mum to find.

niccig
06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Tarah, Holli - thanks for the yarn suggestions. Mum sounded enthusiastic about the soakers - Tarah you were right, a grandmother will do anything, especially for her only grandchild. She'll make a tester out of wool in her RON closet (RON = Later on, she has a stash of fabric, yarn, notions just in case she needs them). And if it works out well, I would really like some things in the vibrant dyed colours. She said she'll teach me how to make my own when I visit in December. This is going to be fun.