PDA

View Full Version : Diaper rash and creams question

KrisM
06-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Andrew has a bad diaper rash. This is the first time he's been more than just a touch red. I'm not sure what it's from, but I think it's either a reaction to baked beans, which he had for the first time on Tuesday, or I let him sit poopy too long. He pooped at a weird time and I didn't know it and couldn't smell it, so it may have been up to 1.5 hours before he was changed :(. I feel so bad.

Anyway, it started yesterday afternoon. It's quite red still and this morning is a bit rough feeling. It doesn't seem to bother him when I touch it. Right now, he's napping in just a prefold (no cover).

My question is on the creams. If I let him run around naked, do I still put a cream on him? Do the creams actually help the rash, or just make a barrier so they don't get worse.

Next question. We're going out of town later today. Normally, I stick him in a sposie while I do diaper laundry so that I don't start with dirty diapers. Would a sposie make it worse? Normally, he doesn't mind them, but it's been months since he's worn one.

Off to look for the Triple Paste. Andrew likes to hide them on me.

ktshea
06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi!
Sorry to hear your kiddo's got a rash! My DD had a problem with recurring rash when she was a couple of months old. Here's what I've found works for her (on the recommendation of the smart gals around here):
Frost up that bottom really well with Triple Paste, then shellac it on with Aquaphor. Sposies seemed to always give DD a rash, but since we started the Triple Paste/Aquaphor combo she hasn't had a problem with them. I goop her up especially well when she has on a disposable so the chemicals - or whatever she's sensitive to - can't get to her skin. FWIW, we always keep the TP on when she gets a little red, even when she's having naked-butt time. Not sure if it actually helps or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

HTH!
Katie

squimp
06-09-2005, 02:13 PM
You might check and see if it's a yeast rash. www.askdrsears.com
We get one every once in a long while, after DD sits in a poopy diaper too (yikes!). The chlortrimazole works wonders and fast (what dr sears recommends, aka "jock itch cream", another yikes). It usually clears up in a day or less with this stuff. I usually put it on, then our regular diaper cream after that. The barrier creams (with Zn oxide) are good for prevention, but I've found they don't help clear up the rash. They do protect the sensitive skin, though.

I wouldn't let DD run around naked and with creams - I just can't handle the thought of her sitting on the couch or carpet with diaper cream on her butt!

For us, sposies don't seem to make rashes worse. The sposie wipes do, though. I wipe Fia with a wet washcloth if I have to use sposie wipes, to keep her from getting irritated.

KrisM
06-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks, guys.

We got in a bunch of naked time and used Triple Paste. It is mostly gone now. Thankfully, he never seemed very bothered by it.