PDA

View Full Version : Diaper leak, need help!

btherndon
06-11-2005, 09:26 PM
My son is 11 days old and we can't find a diaper that will hold in his pee. The pee runs out the top of the diaper and gets his clothes and bedding wet. We have to change his diapers, clothes and bedding every time he pees. We've tried Huggies and Pampers, newborn and next size up. Nothing holds in the pee. We can't be the only parents with this problem. HELP! Anyone out there have the same problem? What diapers worked?

Desperate Dad

pritchettzoo
06-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, I haven't dealt first-hand with a tiny penis yet, but have you tried making sure it is pointing downward? If it's pointing straight up, the pee would shoot right out like you're describing--nothing is there to absorb the liquid.

Cloth dipes would help too, but you're probably not here for that! ;)

Good luck!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

brigmaman
06-12-2005, 05:14 AM
This happened with our ds as well. He'd always have a crescent shape wet spot when I went to pick him up. It was pretty frustrating. Pointing him down helped somewhat as did using diapers that had an absorbant layer that made it all the way around his sides. For example, make sure that the absorbant layer of the diaper covers your ds on the sides. The tape part is not absorbant and will leak. So the tape should go as far forward around his belly as possible. We had to experiment with different brands to see which worked best for our ds. At one point it was Huggies and then Pampers. Luvs seemed to have the most leaky spots.
HTH

kijip
06-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I agree-aim him down! We had the same issue with our son. That is about all you can do but with boys, it is going to happen sometime. Don't be afraid to put the diaper on snugly- my husband and I had a lot of leaks when we were afraid to make the diaper too tight!

Now we use cloth but I think it was Pampers that we ended up with when we used disposibles....

danagee
06-12-2005, 11:20 AM
We had this same problem, except his pee mysteriously went up his back! We finally realized whenever this occured, it was time to use bigger diapers. Pointing down didnt make a difference for us, plus is kept moving back up anyway.
Dana

btherndon
06-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah, It is his back that is wet each time. He seems to want to go right after his diaper is changed. We'll put him back down and he starts fussing. When we take a look, his back is wet, and the diaper is barely wet at all. We tried the next size up and it still happens.

We are currently putting a cotton ball in the diaper and this has worked so far. We are concerned that this will give hima rash since the pee will be against his skin the whole time.

When we point it down it just comes back up again.

Which bigger diapers did you use? Are there any secrets to making sure diaper is securely and properly on? We're pretty sure that the diapers are on correctly though. When we took him to the pediatrician she put a diaper on him and his back was wet a couple minutes later. She has four boys.

I know that our little buddie would be so much happier if we could solve this problem.

btherndon
06-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah, It is his back that is wet each time. He seems to want to go right after his diaper is changed. We'll put him back down and he starts fussing. When we take a look, his back is wet, and the diaper is barely wet at all. We tried the next size up and it still happens.

We are currently putting a cotton ball in the diaper and this has worked so far. We are concerned that this will give hima rash since the pee will be against his skin the whole time.

When we point it down it just comes back up again.

Which bigger diapers did you use? Are there any secrets to making sure diaper is securely and properly on? We're pretty sure that the diapers are on correctly though. When we took him to the pediatrician she put a diaper on him and his back was wet a couple minutes later. She has four boys.

I know that our little buddie would be so much happier if we could solve this problem.

danagee
06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Isn't that mysterious? I have a friend who had this problem as well. It's so strange that the diaper doesnt even get wet and I have no idea how it gets on his back!
I was using Pampers newborns and then switched to the Swaddlers size 1 when it first happened.
Each time it would happen, I'd realize it was time to move up to a bigger size and I stuck with the Pampers Swaddlers and it always did the trick.
Where are you putting the cotton ball & do you know why it seems to work?
I dont recall any secrets to making sure they're securely on. Sorry, I wish I could help more but if you find out why it's happening and how to fix it, please update me because I'm still (9 months later) so curious how this used to happen to my li'l guy.
Dana

mmaimp
06-12-2005, 08:04 PM
I have a theory. When his pees it's too large of an amount for the diaper to absorb at one time. The liquid runs to the sides and out the top where there is no absorbing material. Because he is mostly on his back its wet because the pee is running out of the diapers at the top near the back.

I think a previous poster said to look for diapers that have absorbing material on the sides but I can't think of any.

We were having this problem a few months ago with my big baby. I now use covers at night and switched to cloth for daytime. WE have no more leaks with fitteds and covers.

Sorry I can't help more with a solution!

danagee
06-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I've been cd'ing for a few months now using Fuzzi Bunz and I would imagine that this problem wouldn't occur with the Fuzzi Bunz since everything that touches baby's skin is absorbant. Hmmm....I"ll have to try them on #2!
Dana