PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Diapers!

downwarddog
06-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi Mamas,
I know I've seen a topic like this before, but after searching, can't find the thread! So I apologize beforehand...

The last few times I washed dipes, the washer & dryer SMELLED. Usually I can detect detergent smells in our bathroom where I hang dry the FBs & covers. But this time, when I stick my head in our washer (FLoader) & dryer, they smelled, & not just like detergent! It's not just the hemp either, it's the MOEs & Cottonbabies as well, musty/ammonia smells... SO, last time I did another complete heavy wash w/hot water, a little more detergent, & rinsed & rinsed & rinsed. Still smelled not quite fresh when I was done.

What's going on? Too much detergent? Not enough? FYI: I use Tide, about 1/4 c total w/the prewash & heavy wash combined. I have a front loader Fridge. Gallery set, & our water here in NH is pretty soft. Should I use some Borax? Vinegar? Baking soda? I don't want to damage my diapers in anyway, I'm mostly washing FBs, & hemp or microfiber inserts. If it was too much detergent, wouldn't I just smell detergent & not that musty smell? PLEASE HELP, I'm not sure what to do next & of course I need to wash diapers again soon!

Thanks,
~Lenore
Mom to Acadia, Sept 2004

Saartje
06-12-2005, 02:24 PM
If your diapers smell musty or like ammonia when they're freshly washed or dried, they're not getting clean enough. Try using a little more detergent, and then try one extra rinse to make sure any excess is out.

If your diapers smell strongly like ammonia when they've just been peed in (not when it's been allowed to sit for a while; that's to be expected), you've been using too much detergent and you need to strip them by running several hot washes with no detergent and the water level turned down so the diapers agitate against each other.

It sounds like you have the first problem. If you post your entire wash routine, we might be able to help you pinpoint changes to try, but I'd suggest first trying a bit more detergent, but putting it all in the heavy wash cycle; IMO, the prewash is for rinsing some of the nasties out, and the heavy wash is where you use detergent to get it really clean. And make sure you're turning the water level to one notch above the actual size of the load (XL for a L load, L for a M load, etc.), because washing too large a load with not enough water is a sure way to not get the diapers fully clean.

downwarddog
06-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks!
I'm doing wash in the morning, so I'll check back w/an update. I'll do all the detergent in the heavy wash cycle & see what happens. I can't adjust the water level on our machine, it automatically fills to whatever is in there. This isn't a new machine, it's about 6 years old now.

I do think at times that I get that ammonia smell when she has just peed... Anyway, I'll try the 1st way first & see what happens. I usually always make sure I rinse again if I see suds...

I'll check back later, thanks again!
~Lenore
Mom to Cadi, Sept 2004

writermama
06-12-2005, 08:42 PM
It sounds like not enough detergent if it's the laundry load that smells. But, if the washer smells, you might need to clean out your washer.

This link gives instructions for cleaning out your washing machine -- I did it last week and it helped my front loader a lot: http://www.thediaperhyena.com/washingmachinecare.htm

There's also another possiblity: I have an older front loader Maytag Neptune and there is a known issue with the seal on the washer door becoming mildewed. If you have an older neptune, you may want to contact the manufacturer for a (free, I think) kit to retro-fit your washer door. It also helps to wipe down the rubber seals of the door frequently and to pull out any lint and pet hair that clogs the drain holes and those brushy things alongside the washer drum.

Good luck and hope this helps,
Karen

downwarddog
06-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi Karen,
If the cleaning worked for you, my question to you is this: did your machine spin & drain at the same time? I don't think mine will, but I'm going downstairs to try it right now. I think it TURNS (at the speed it uses to agitate), but it doesn't SPIN while it drains. Just wondering.

~Lenore
Mom to Acadia (Cadi), born 9/28/04;
dogs Loka & Colby;
plus 1 cat, Chelsea!

writermama
06-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Hmm. I have to confess that I read that part of the instructions and then decided to cheat because I was leary of interfering with my Neptune's normal wash cycles. I waited until I heard the washer turning, but before the door locked -- I think it may have still been filling with water -- I opened the door, added the vinegar and baking soda, watched the fizzing for a moment, then closed the door and let the cycle run all the way through. It seemed to work fine.

Hope this helps,
Karen

downwarddog
06-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Hi All,
I'm back! Cleaning the washer seem to do great! My wash smells much better, I think it was too much detergent. However, the only thing left that DOES still smell are my MOEs & Cotton Babies inserts. WHY? The hemp is fine. Should I just go back & wash & rinse, rinse, rinse the micro inserts? Why would they smell but NOT the hemp?
Go figure.

Thanks mamas!
~Lenore
Mom to Acadia, Sept 2004

emelsea
06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi Lenore,

We are stinky, here, too. I've been making up a song in my head: "Smelly dipe, smelly dipe, how can I get you clean?". It all started with 2 diaperSWAP dipes and seems to be spreading. I'm getting very discouraged.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I read a thread on MDC awhile ago about how stink is bacteria and bleach kills bacteria. We had a nasty stomach virus last spring and the only thing that killed the smell was to add a capful of bleach to my diaper wash. Just a small bleachbottle capful did the trick.

I did not notice any fading of my diapers, but there were no bright colored ones in that load. You may see different results, so think about whether you want to take the chance.

downwarddog
06-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Karen,
Makes sense. I'm scared to do it with anything besides hemp & prefolds though -- I don't care about bleach stains with inserts. I couldn't ever bring myself to do it with the outside covers though :-0
Has anyone tried hydrogen peroxide? That's antibacterial, isn't it? A little bleach goes a long way though. Maybe if I dilute it before adding to my wash there's less chance of an actual bleach spot... Hmm... I'm going to try washing & rinse, rinse, rinse again before doing something more drastic.
Michelle, I'll let you know if anything works for me! Please do the same for me :-)

~Lenore
Mom to Cadi, Sept 2004