PDA

View Full Version : Knitters: how much yarn for soakers/shorts

niccig
06-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Mum spent the weekend knitting and has finished a medium soaker from the LTK patterns. I've only seen it over the web cam and it looks pretty good. I would like to get some hand-dyed yarn, either from Nanda at woolywonders, LTK or handpainted yarn. How many ounces would I need for medium soakers and shorts? I probably could just get mum to look at the web sites but she'll freak if I pay $11 USD or so for 4 ounces - to her that's $20 for a ball of wool! Eventhough it is the most adorable colours.
Thanks,
Nicci

pritchettzoo
06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I think you should be able to get a medium out of 4 oz. Pants would probably need more. To be sure--email the sites. The women are so so nice and know their wool so well that I'm sure they'd give you the best answer. :)

You can also hand-dye your own using Fisherman's Wool (readily available and about $8 for 8 oz--or less on sale/with a coupon) and Kool Aid.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

niccig
06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
I've never tried dying with Kool-aid. Is it colour fast? Barrett sticks EVERYTHING in his mouth and I have a red pullover that bled over the white onesie underneath.