PDA

View Full Version : I swore I wouldn't let you suck me in here...

lmariana
06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
...yet here I am!

I *might" try out some with Gabe now (34", 28 lbs), but I'm more likely to try start with the new baby.

Here are my questions:

1. Just out of curiosity (not sure if I'm going down the cloth path), what is a good beginner's stash?

2. I have NO idea what the different types (prefolds, fitted, pocket, etc) are, and the cloth diapering 101 thread helped a little, but I still don't know where to start (if I wanted to).

3. Why is this a better choice, other than the obvious environmental factors?

4. What are the logistics of working with cloth? How/what do you change the diapers, what do you do with the poops, what do you do with the soaked liner/absorber thingys?

This should start to help a bit! Thanks!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

new_mommy25
06-15-2005, 04:10 PM
>Here are my questions:
>
>1. Just out of curiosity (not sure if I'm going down the cloth
>path), what is a good beginner's stash?

For a newborn you can get away with plain ol prefolds and proraps. It is easy to snappi a prefold onto a newborn because they don't wiggle! Check out naturalbabies.com or lilbunz.com for newborn starter packs. If you want to use Indian PFs instead of CPF than you can contact GraniteSmith on ebay. Eileen has the email adress.
>
>2. I have NO idea what the different types (prefolds, fitted,
>pocket, etc) are, and the cloth diapering 101 thread helped a
>little, but I still don't know where to start (if I wanted
>to).

As I said, I would start with prefolds and proraps. If you think your DH might have some trouble with that you might also want to pick up some Wonderoos. They are a one size pocket that you stuff. I personally think they are better for infants that FB's because the way the thigh is slightly gusseted and I know many people that use them exclusively since birth. I personally use fitteds and wool. If you want to try out a few fitteds I would start buying mediums. Smalls will be outgrown in a few months (use prefolds for that period) but mediums willlast forever. Noah was in mediums from 4months all the way until about 15 or 16 months. A good place to "try" diapers is buying some used from BBB-Swap. Also, MDC is another good site to learn about cloth but I avoid it because it makes me spend too much money!
>
>3. Why is this a better choice, other than the obvious
>environmental factors?

We use disposables as well as cloth. We are mostly cloth so a box of sposies lasts quite awhile for us. I've noticed that now that it's summer and really hot and humid, Noah has been getting a rash on his thigh when he wears disposables. The sides are rubbing him wrong. Cloth breathes easier. Also, it makes me sick the way you have to empty a trash full of disposables every day like we used to when we were exclusively using disposables. Plus, it's cute and fun.
>
>4. What are the logistics of working with cloth? How/what do
>you change the diapers, what do you do with the poops, what do
>you do with the soaked liner/absorber thingys?

When I change the diaper I do it just like I would with a disposable. Except instead of throwing it in the trash I throw it into the wetbag. I wash every two-three days. I use Costco wipes or cloth wipes. Everything goes through the washer. I throw the Costco wipes away as I am folding laundry. I know that Katie reuses hers once more. With poop, I just empty it into the toilet before throwing it into the wetbag. You don't need to do that with newborn breastfed poop because it disolves in the washer, but once they start eating solids you will need too. Newborn poop stain but it will come out by being layed in the sun. You can also buy a minishower to hook to your toilet to spray the poopy diaper down before you throw it into the wetbag.

HTH!

holliam
06-15-2005, 04:14 PM
1. Depends on a lot of things..starter stash for Gabe or new baby?

2. What's most important to you? Do you want something as easy to put on as disposables? If yes, see aplix or snap All in Ones (AIOs). But, the main waterproof part of AIOs is PUL, which can be warm in the summer (not warmer than disposables though) so many people do fitteds with a cover. Wool is the most breathable cover but can be overwhelming for new folks. Prefolds are the cheapest route but not always the most absorbent. Some of us (me) are prefold impaired. I can't wield a snappi or pins, and my babe is too wiggly.

3. See the Real Diaper Association for good insight:
http://www.realdiaperassociation.org

4. No cloth diaper is as absorbent as a disposable. To me, that is good because I don't want my daughter sitting around in urine. We try to change at *every* pee and definitely after every poo. It may seem like you are changing more often, but it depends on what you were doing in disposables.

Poop goes in the toilet (which is supposed to happen with disposables too but I don't think anyone does it). You can get a "mini shower" which is a small shower-like attachment for the toilet. Makes getting rid of the poop very easy. I may be weird, but I'm not afraid of poop. I just wash my hands.

Toss them in the wet bag/pail and wash them in the washing machine.

Holli

kitmama
06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Aha! We could use some more fluffy mamas in our GA gang. :) I hope you find it's something that works for you.

>1. Just out of curiosity (not sure if I'm going down the cloth path), what is a good beginner's stash?

I agree with Angie- snappi'd prefolds and simple gusseted covers are the best bet. For the new baby, I am branching out into Kissaluvs size 0 as well as prefolds. My all-time favorite covers when littleman was a newborn were the Imse Vimse Bumpy covers. (I especially like the teddy bear print). :)

>2. I have NO idea what the different types (prefolds, fitted, pocket, etc) are, and the cloth diapering 101 thread helped a little, but I still don't know where to start (if I wanted to).

- Prefolds (PFs) are what most people think of when they think of cloth diapers. They're flat, rectangular and "prefolded" and stitched in place so that there are more layers of cloth in the center than on the sides. (For better absorbancy). They are made of cotton, and sometimes you can buy them in hemp. They come in several sizes: preemie, infant, regular and premium (same size, but regular is thinner), and toddler. CPFs (Chinese Prefolds) are the most common, and are made of Chinese cotton. IPFs (Indian Prefolds) are very popular with some mamas here, and are made of Indian cotton. There are also EPFs (European Prefolds) which are more stiff but last longer, and Gerber Prefolds which are available at BRU and are generally reviled by CDing mamas who know there's better stuff to be had. ;) Prefold diapers can be folded and pinned or secured with a snappi diaper fastener, or (when the poop's not runny) simply trifolded and laid into a cover. These are cheap, pretty simple and work well.

- Contour diapers also need to be pinned or snappi'd, as they have no snaps or velcro of their own. There are a variety of styles and sizes, but in general they are like PFs except they are shaped like a diaper (so don't need to be folded). Some WAHMs make PFs into contour diapers, but with elastic at the legs- these are often called "prefitteds", but have several different names. (Including "Piggy Prefolds", of course!) I think of them as being another type of contour diaper. These diapers also need a cover.

- Fitted diapers are diaper-shaped, come in different sizes, can be made with a variety of fabrics, and have their own method of closure- generally snaps (on the front or sides) or velcro. (So no folding, pins or snappi required). They do need a cover. Most styles have elastic, some have gussets, some are lined in microfleece or suedecloth to keep baby feeling dry, some have cute prints or are hand-dyed pretty colors. These are lots of fun to shop for. :)

- Pocket diapers generally do not need a cover, as their outer layer is waterproof (or at least water-resistant). They are diaper-shaped, come in different sizes, and have their own closures (snaps or velcro). The outer layer is usually PUL (a waterproof fabric), but might be fleece or another fabric. The inner layer is generally microfleece or suedecloth to keep baby feeling dry. In between the 2 layers there is a pocket that you have to stuff with something absorbant, to actually soak up the pee. This is nice for several reasons, for instance you can custom-stuff just the amount of absorbancy your child needs, and also you can pull everything apart for washing and drying. Stuff-ins can also be called doublers, and can be made of hemp, microfiber or cotton. Or, do what I do and just use microfiber cleaning towels from the automotive section at Target. They work great. Pocket diapers are particularly good for caregivers like dad, grandma other babysitters or daycare, because once stuffed they are as simple as a disposable. No other diaper parts necessary.

- AIOs (All-in-Ones) are diaper-shaped, come in different sizes, have their own closures, do not need a cover and do not need to be stuffed- they are "all in one". They are made with a variety of fabrics, but like pocket diapers they include a layer of PUL (or fleece, etc) to make the diaper waterproof, and a usually lining to keep baby feeling dry. The absorbant material is already part of the diaper- either sewn inside or it snaps into the diaper. (Snap-in soakers are nice because they dry faster than sewn-in ones do). AIOs are truly simple to use, and are the most expensive. Some people find they don't work as well as other cloth diapers, though. It depends on the child and the specific diaper.

- Then of course, there are covers (for PFs, contours and fitteds). PUL is common, and is the most waterproof but the least breathable. (Still more breathable than sposies, though). Fleece is very breathable, and repels moisture. It works well, though sometimes it might "compression wick" if baby is sitting on it and the diaper is very wet. Wool is also very breathable, is naturally anti-bacterial, and works very well. the fact that it's a natural fiber (unlike PUL and fleece) is a plus for many mamas. It does require special care, but I find washing to be simple. It could theoretically compression wick, but I've not experienced that with wool. Wool is very popular for a nighttime cover when baby is sleeping long stretches of time, because it stays dry but allows baby's skin to "breathe". Wool is expensive and also fun to shop for. :)

Again, I agree with Angie: start with PFs and simple covers.

>3. Why is this a better choice, other than the obvious environmental factors?

There are a lot reasons why many mamas feel cloth is better for baby's health than sposies are. One that's pretty widely accepted (even by most pediatricians) is that babies in cloth are less likely to get diaper rash. Another thing to consider is the chemicals used in sposies, which we then put right on baby's most tender skin. For instance, the stuff in those yucky gel beads (that make sposies SO absorbant) is the same stuff that was banned from tampons because it was linked with TSS. There are other things too, but I don't remember them all.

Also, cloth seems to me like it would be a lot more comfortable than sposies. Would you rather wear paper/plastic underwear, or cotton?

And finally, it's fun. :)

>4. What are the logistics of working with cloth? How/what do you change the diapers, what do you do with the poops, what do you do with the soaked liner/absorber thingys?

I change diapers every 2 - 3 hours, or when there's poop. (Except at night, now that littleman sleeps a long time). For wet diapers, I just take it off and toss it in the diaper pail. (Just a diaper pail or trash can lined with something waterproof- no "wet pail" like my grandmother used). Any liners, doublers etc are treated just the same as the diaper. I use cloth wipes to clean the baby, and toss those in the pail too. Then I put on cream if we're using it, put the fresh diaper on, and a cover if we need one. Voila. Poopy diapers are the same except I set it aside, and as soon as I'm done changing the baby I go dump the poop in the toilet, then put the diaper in the pail. If necessary I spray sticky poop into the toilet with a mini-sprayer. No dunking and swishing! Wash hands and you're through.

When it's time to wash, dump everything into the washer and start your routine. The only exception is wool, which usually needs to be washed by hand.

HTH!

mudder17
06-15-2005, 06:49 PM
>...yet here I am!
Bwahahahaha...fresh meat! ;)

>1. Just out of curiosity (not sure if I'm going down the cloth
>path), what is a good beginner's stash?
Okay, like PP, this depends on whether you're talking about a newborn or a toddler. For the newborn, I started out with 24 preemie prefolds (my daughter was 7 pounds and I used them until she was 9-10 pounds), 24 infant prefolds (although I later ended up with more), 12 kissaluv 0 (seconds) for night time and when we went out and about and for the nursery, 3 snappi fasteners, 3 newborn covers and 4 small covers. For a toddler, I would suggest pockets or AIOs for the ease, or if $$ is a big issue, I would suggest Prefolds (premium or regular depending on how heavy a wetter your toddler is) trifolded or quadfolded and laid in a cover. I would guess 18-24 diapers for the toddler would get you through washing every other day. For prefolds, you can e-mail Teresa at Teresa.smith at rocketmail dot com. She's super nice and can help you figure out what you need in terms of sizing and type (Indian, Euro, Chinese).

>2. I have NO idea what the different types (prefolds, fitted,
>pocket, etc) are, and the cloth diapering 101 thread helped a
>little, but I still don't know where to start (if I wanted
>to).
Prefolds:
Okay, these look like this: [link:www.lilbunz.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=ClothDiapers&Sub=62&isThumbs=No&Thumbs=|prefolds]
They're basically cotton pieces of cloth with more layers in the center strip than on the sides. You can fold them in thirds or fourths and lay them in a cover and then put the baby on top and fold the cover up like you do disposables. Or you can fold them and fasten them with pins or snappi fasteners (my personal choice because they're easier IMO). You can fold them like this: [link:www.dy-dee.com/html/Folding/folding.html|folding]. These need covers that are waterproof. Covers can be made of fleece, wool, PUL (polyurethane laminate), or Nylon.

Fitted Diapers:
These are diapers that look like disposables, but they contain only absorbing material--no waterproof outer material. So they go on like disposables, but you have to add a cover. These diapers can be fastened with snaps or aplix (basically velcro) and can be front fastening like most dispables, or side fastening. Most fitted diapers have lay-in or snap-in soakers, which are basically layers of absorbing material sewn together and placed in the diaper to increase absorbency. There are also fitted diapers which have extra layers of absorbency sewn into the crotch area of the diaper, but I don't like that because they take longer to dry, and I don't think they get clean as easily.

Pockets: These are basically "shells". They usually have an outerlayer that is waterproof (so usually PUL or Fleece) and an inner layer (usually microfleece or microsude) that goes against the baby's skin that keeps him/her feeling dry. It wicks the moisture away from the baby's skin and pulls the wetness into the absorbing material. These pockets have to be stuffed with all sorts of absorbing material (often called inserts). You can stuff with hemp, microfiber, terry, flannel, even your terry washcloths. Basically anything absorbent can go in there, but most of us use hemp or microfiber. Cheap inserts are the microfiber towels you find in the automotive section of Target, Costco or Walmart. I find Kaya needs a combo of MF and hemp to give her the greatest amount of absorbency. These "shells" are made to look like a disposable, and like fitted diapers, they can be fastened with snaps or aplix and can be front or side fastening. These are nice because when you change the babe, the inserts get pulled out and put in the pail along with the shell, but the shell washes and dries very easily and the inserts get moved around and get clean and dry more easily as well. If you prestuff all your pockets after you do the laundry, then you can grab these as easily as disposables and put them on the baby during changing time. I'm mostly using fitteds with wool during the summer because PUL is not breathable enough for my DD (she gets really rashy--I hate to see what disposables would do to her!), and most of my fleece pockets are too warm during the day. But I do use the fleece pockets at night still.

AIO's: These are all-in-ones and are like the pockets in that you grab it and put it on the baby like a disposable. No cover needed. Note that many WAHMs call their pockets pocket AIOs. Some AIOs truly are one piece of diaper, but those are probably either not absorbent enough, or don't wash and dry very easily because they're too thick. Most AIO's have an outer shell that is PUL or Fleece with some absorbing material and an inner layer. Then there is an extra doubler or snap-in-soaker that is basically extra material sewn together that gets put into the AIO shell. You put them all together on laundry day and then grab it like a sposie and put it on your wiggly babe. There are all wool-in-ones, which are AIOs that are made with a wool shell. I have one of these and really like it.

In general, I don't think Pockets or AIOs are great for a newborn with leaky BFd poop. IMO, fitteds with covers having gussets or snappi'd PFs with covers having gussets are unsurpassed by any other system (disposables included) for containing leaky poop.

>3. Why is this a better choice, other than the obvious
>environmental factors?
I think it's fun putting cute and soft diapers on my babe. I honestly think she's more comfortable in cloth as I'm much more comfortable with cloth mama pads (and a diva cup) than I ever was with disposable pads (and tampons). I also don't like the smell of disposables with poop and pee (I've smelled my neighbor's diaper pail--whew!--and when her kid poops, it smells very different from when my babe poops. When they're playing and one of them poops, I can tell from a few feet away which one it is (no joke). If $$ is a big factor, you can also save by using only prefolds and covers, but if you hang around here too much you might end up spending just as much (if not more) on cute, cute, cute diapers and matching outfits. ;) I'm probably breaking even or somewhat under, I think, partly because I've been able to sell off some of the things that haven't worked for us. And yes, there are the environmental factors.

>4. What are the logistics of working with cloth? How/what do
>you change the diapers, what do you do with the poops, what do
>you do with the soaked liner/absorber thingys?
I unfasten the diaper, take a cloth wipe, squirt water (or diaper solution) onto it with my peri bottle, wipe her clean, pat her dry, remove the diaper and wipes and put them aside. I put on the new diaper, let her go, and then if it's just a wet diaper, I'll put everything straight in the pail. If there is poop, I'll spray it all clean with the minishower, squeeze the diaper/wipes dry, and put them in the pail. Having fleece as a liner makes spraying off the poop much easier. When I've gone on vacation, I have actually swished and scrubbed in the toilet, and finished getting the rest of it off in the sink. Unlike most people, I'm not afraid of a little poop. That's why every time we go on vacation, DH won't mind changing the poopy diaper, but he always hands it to me to clean. ;) But I have to admit, I love my minishower and will even use it for myself, so it's an investment well worth every penny! I wash my diapers every 2 days and will just take the diaper pail liners (I use PUL, WAHM made diaper pail liners in my Diaper Dekors) full of diapers down to the machine, dump everything into the machine (and invert the bags while I'm at it), including the bags and do the wash. Your wash method will depend on whether you have hard or soft water, but if the load seems particularly urine-soaked, I'll do a quick cold rinse first. Otherwise I'll wash with a tiny bit of liquid Tide + a capful of Calgon (my water seems to be neither hard nor soft) in a hot cycle and second rinse, and then do a lite, hot wash with a second rinse with nothing added. I'm paranoid about build-up with all the hemp in my stash, so I often do the second cycle to make sure I've gotten rid of all the detergent. I'm always tweaking my washing method though. :)

I hope this is helpful!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Puddy73
06-15-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't have anything to add to the great advice that the pps have already given, but I just wanted to say welcome to the dark side! Cloth diapering is surprisingly fun and addictive!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

lmariana
06-16-2005, 08:05 AM
If I wanted to get one-day's worth of supplies for Gabe, what would you recommend? Make it a little fun so I can really get sucked in. :) If anyone wants to loan me anything to test out, I wouldn't be opposed!

Gabe is 34", 28 lbs, average build. I like the idea of the fleece liner to help remove poops easier. He's a really heavy wetter too. I swear he saves up hours of pee and just lets it flow all at once!

Also, can I just use my existing diaper pail (Dekor) and bags and just dump the contents in the machine?

Thanks so much!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

mudder17
06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Hmm...he's definitely bigger than Kaya, but her fleece pockets (which I've put away for the summer) could probably fit him, since they're currently too big for her. With the proper inserts, they should definitely hold his pee, since Kaya is quite a heavy wetter as well.

And I use the Dekor (I have two of them) and have used them with the Dekor bags, so yes, you can just dump the contents in the machine. I now have pail liners I use with them, but I used the Dekor bags for almost the first year before I realized I could use reusable pail liners. :)

One-days worth for a heavy wetter would probably be 8 diapers (this includes night time and naps), although you would probably want an extra 4-5 so that you could get the wash done and still have diapers.

I can lend you 2-5 fleece pockets with inserts if you wish.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

lmariana
06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
While I'm thinking about it, I like supporting WAHM moms and BBB moms. Which diaper shops are BBB-mom owned?

Thanks!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

tarahsolazy
06-16-2005, 12:01 PM
I think for Gabe, some pocket diapers with very absorbant inserts are the way to go. For a kiddo his age, you could start with 5 or 6 dipes, and see how it goes. Petra, psophia17, is just opening up a diaper sewing business, you could PM her... I really like some of the large online diaper retailers run by moms. They sell mass produced items, but the service is great, and you are still supporting a WAHM.

WHAM pocket diapers:
Snap-EZ, www.snap-ez.com These are very nice, get a large, and a solid color, more reliable for heavy wetters.
Harleyz, these are like speedos! www.hyenacart.com/wahmarama
Green Acre designs, don't know the URL, and haven't tried these, but they get great reviews.

Mass-produced pocket diapers:
FuzziBunz, the grande dame of pocket diapers. I like these pretty well, very reliable.
Happy Heinys, these have velcro, but I've never been a huge fan of the fit.
Swaddlebees, another speedo style diaper.
These should be available from places like www.lilbunz.com or www.naturalbabies.com

For inserts, you can buy hemp, which is good for heavy wetters. Babykicks Joeybunz are common hemp inserts, and can be purchased at any of the above places. A cheap and absorbant option is Cottonbabies one-size inserts, which are made of microfiber. www.cottonbabies.com You can also get automotive towels made of microfiber at Target, costco and such places, and fold them up for inserts. You'd likely need two at a time.

kitmama
06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Hmm, I'm sure I don't know all of them, but there's Shandelle's Funny Farm Creations: http://www.funnyfarmcreations.fourlittleducks.com/ - she makes "piggy prefolds", highly acclaimed mama cloth and other great stuff, Liza Jane sells her pocket inserts at the Baby Blanket: http://www.thebabyblanket.com/ - (Baby Blanket pocket diapers are also very nice), Juliet has Bumbershoot Baby: http://www.bumbershootbaby.com/ - she sells fun hand-dyed PFs, clothing and playsilks.

I can't think of anyone else right this instant. . . mommy brain strikes, I think.

There are tons of WAHM diaper sites! Even "big company" cloth diapers like fuzzibunz can be purchased from WAHM online stores. I think the majority of favorite diapers on this board are handmade by WAHMs, though.

As far as a starter stash for Gabe goes, what about some pockets, couple fitteds, a couple covers and perhaps a couple PFs? That would be a nice range to experiment with. (Maybe emphasize the pockets at first, because they are so easy). Gabe is bigger than littleman, or else I'd be delighted to loan you some stuff! Maybe someone else will have something. To decide exactly which diapers to get, it's also helpful to know if the babe is long or short-torsoed, has chunky, skinny or "normal" thighs and waist, and whether poops are typically solid(ish) or runny. Some diapers are better for chunky-thigh babies, for instance, and some work better on a skinny-mini.

pritchettzoo
06-16-2005, 12:03 PM
If you want to try on some things from my stash to get an idea of what things are like IRL, LMK! I have a pretty wide range of stuff. I use almost my whole stash between washings so I couldn't loan anything, but you could try it on for size and see what you like and what fits Gabe.

One thing you'll have to consider is that you might have to buy new pants along with diapers. Especially if you've got a heavy wetter, he's going to have a big old cloth butt. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mudder17
06-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Or if it's summer, he can run around in a t-shirt and diaper--that's what Kaya does most of the time. :)

The Apronstrings and Snapping Turtles fleece pockets I mentioned above are also WAHM sites. I think Apronstrings are better for chunky thighs, and Snapping Turtles and Baby Blankets are better for thin thighs. I think Snap-EZ tends to fit either one and they are low-rise diapers if you like that (I do, because Kaya doesn't tend to outgrow the rise as quickly). FBs seem to fit a wide range as well, although their sizing seems inconsistent, so it's not always easy to get good sizing. I also think there's quite a gap between Medium and Large, which the Petite Toddler is supposed to fill, but once Kaya outgrew the mediums, it was hard to get FBs that fit her well.

Eileen

kijip
06-16-2005, 07:46 PM
We have a new WAHM in our mist....her name starts with a P and she lives in Canada....

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/BaDumBums/

worth a look-see----

lmariana
06-17-2005, 09:21 AM
You guys have been SO helpful already, thank you SO much! Honestly, you've made everything really easy to understand.

Okay, more questions!

1. Sizing - I'm looking at some Happy Heiny's right now, and the large size states a leg of 17"-25". Gabe's thigh is 12" around. He's 28 lbs and has a 19" waist. Should I stick with the large or get a medium too?

2. What's the deal with Wonderoos? Can they really work from newborn to toddler? Would you guys recommend these?

3. Can your toddler easily pull off the diapers with velcro closures? Gabe's a diaper-shedder, so it's a concern for us! Are snaps more effective in his case?

4. Right now I'm leaning towards a few pocket dipes, but should I also check out some prefolds + covers too? Or would that be too complicated to try on a wiggly/kicking toddler who HATES diaper changes?

5. Any brands to avoid? I know it really depends on the child and the body shape, but after reading some reviews on MDC, it seems like many of us start out with FB's and then switch to something else because of issues with fit, leaks, or wicking.

6. Is there a diaper swap yahoo group?

Thanks again!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

mudder17
06-17-2005, 09:38 AM
>1. Sizing - I'm looking at some Happy Heiny's right now, and
>the large size states a leg of 17"-25". Gabe's thigh is 12"
>around. He's 28 lbs and has a 19" waist. Should I stick with
>the large or get a medium too?
Okay, I think I got the sizing from lilbunz.com:
Medium: 14-25 lbs, 18" rise, 14"-21" waist
Large: 23-35 lbs, 20" rise, 17"-25" waist

The weight is not always the best way to guage sizing--you usually want to look at the rise, waist, and thigh measurements. I think he might fit in a medium, but I suspect you MIGHT have trouble with the rise. Still, he does seem smack in the middle of the large, so I would guess that a large would fit well (but I have no personal experience with these pockets).

>2. What's the deal with Wonderoos? Can they really work from
>newborn to toddler? Would you guys recommend these?
Okay, this depends on the baby, because some people here have loved them, some have hated them, and some are indifferent to them. They might actually work better with a newborn than FBs because they have gussets (or something like them) and I did find they contained runny poop better than FBs. However, on my 3 month old, it just seemed awfully bulky on her--I didn't like the fit at all. They have a try it out deal, so you could always order one to try. I think Kijip likes these?

>3. Can your toddler easily pull off the diapers with velcro
>closures? Gabe's a diaper-shedder, so it's a concern for us!
>Are snaps more effective in his case?
Kaya can undo velcro, but for some reason, she'll do it with the diaper when it's not on her, but doesn't bother with it when it's on her. That said, the velcro on my angeldry cover is really strong and I suspect she wouldn't be able to undo it. I would say snaps are probably more effective; however, there are babes on this board who can undo snaps just as easily. So I think those moms tend to go with fitted or PFs with pull-up covers like wool soakers.

>4. Right now I'm leaning towards a few pocket dipes, but
>should I also check out some prefolds + covers too? Or would
>that be too complicated to try on a wiggly/kicking toddler who
>HATES diaper changes?
Okay, if he really really HATES diaper changes, the most I would do is prefolds that are trifolded in a cover. Those are relatively easy to put on. But I would probably not bother learning to snappi until the next babe.

>5. Any brands to avoid? I know it really depends on the child
>and the body shape, but after reading some reviews on MDC, it
>seems like many of us start out with FB's and then switch to
>something else because of issues with fit, leaks, or wicking.
No, I think you're right about the child and body shape with regards to the pockets. However, if you're going to try out a brand you haven't tried before, you might consider posting here and asking about that specific brand so people can chime in. There are some WAHMs in the past that have had poor CS, but I think for the most part, there are diapers out there for everyone. You can also check diaperpin.com for reviews on specific diapers and stores.

>6. Is there a diaper swap yahoo group?
Absolutely! You can join
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-Swap/ or
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diaperSWAP2/

The second one gets more traffic, but the first one is of people on these boards that have posted at least 50 posts and been a member for 60 days. So you might recognize more people on the first.

Eileen