PDA

View Full Version : Line drying question??

searchdog
06-16-2005, 03:24 PM
I just got an umbrella style clothes line thing (like those technical terms don't you ;) ). So I am using it to dry my pockets, but my question is does anyone line dry your inserts as well. I am trying to not have to use our dryer so much as DH just informed me we are using more gas per month this year then we did last year and the only things I can think of that we are doing is more laundry (gas dryer) and I am maybe cooking more (I am thinking it is the dryer though, HEHE).

So anyway anyone line dry inserts or prefolds for that matter?

On a side note could I line dry our regular clothes also and just put them in the dryer for a few minutes to "fluff" them or decrunch them, IYKWIM? If it matters it is pretty humid here right now, I am in Indiana.

And just for fun here is a picture of our boring fluff drying.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/searchdog/diapers.jpg

Yes it is close to the ground, I didn't use the extender pole since I didn't have to worry about the diapers hitting the ground, the pole is on the ground behind it.

Edit: I also finally figured out how to host photos from another site, so I am excited to be able to delete photos much easier now, so there won't be photos of DD floating around forever.

nitaghei
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
FWIW, I find that microfiber inserts that are line dried are actually softer (no static). And, ever since it warmed up, I've been putting all my hemp, and the few prefitteds and prefolds I have, out in the sun, too - at least on weekends. I just throw them back in the dryer for about 10 minutes to get rid of the crunch.

HTH

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

searchdog
06-16-2005, 04:01 PM
How long do you think it takes for your hemp and prefolds to dry?

danagee
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
FWIW, I hang my FBs and thick microfiber inserts and the inserts normally dry overnite. If they're still damp, I throw them in the dryer & they're dry in probably less than 10 min.
Oh, and I dont even hang them outside, they're in the washer/dryer closet, so it would probably take yours less time to dry outside.
Dana

jenjenfirenjen
06-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I hang all my fluffy stuff outside. It's been really hot and humid here and I'd say it takes around 3 hrs for everything (including PFs and hemp) to dry.

MMEand1
06-17-2005, 06:54 AM
I don't have a line and since we live in military housing, we can't put one up, so what I do is hang all my PF's and doublers outside on the chainlink fence. I usually leave them out there for a few hours and then throw them in the dryer for a few minutes. I love the fact that the sun bleaches all of my PF's and they look brand new again!
Mariah P. LeBlanc

roobee
06-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Our water heater also runs on gas, I think all those hot washes start to take their toll on the gas bill too.

nitaghei
06-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Probably 3-6 hours, depending on when I put them out (our deck gets shaded pretty quickly) and the weather (less if it's dry, longer if it's humid). I'm really lazy - I just stick them out in the morning when I'm done with the wash, and then forget about them until sometime in the afternoon. The stuff's usually dry by the time I remember to check.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)