PDA

View Full Version : learning to sew want to make wipes have ?s

ladythepup
06-20-2005, 10:54 AM
hi all i am trying to learn to sew and i want to make cloth wipes for my daughter. where can i get the materials? what are good materials to use. right now i have some solid flannel and terry towels from the auto section.
Also for inside of diapers can u use reg fleece from walmart.will it still wick away the moisture?becuase i cant find microfleece there.

thanks mamas

SeekerMage
06-20-2005, 11:47 AM
For the materials, Walmart should have some of what you are looking for. Look and see if they have any velour to go with the flannel or towels. A flannel on flannel wipe is also good, but not my favorite. For the fleece it will work fine, though it might get pilly faster, but not an issue since you can just get rid of those and replace them once they start getting worn.

One of the best places to get supplies is Joannes, if you are the touchy feely kinda person. They have the velour, flannel, terry etc (not sure about sherpa, I havent checked for it yet but I would think they do) Otherwise there are lots of places online where you can order fabric. Here are a few that I have found so far specific to diaper making supplies:

www.diapershop.com
www.thefabricfarm.com
www.diapercuts.com
www.diaperfabric.com
www.acutabovefabrics.com

You can also try ebay, they sometimes have a lot of good deals. You can even find precut squares. I just checked for "flannel squares" and came up with several hits. Atleast for one side of the wipe or for both it saves you a big step in cutting (the part I hate the most!)

There is also a yahoo group "fabric trade" as well as several for making diapers. Its nice if you are just looking for small bits, a lot of people have scraps perfect for wipes. Just do a ISO post. HTHs I havent started making wipes yet, still working on some diapers but they are next on my list :)