PDA

View Full Version : Did not want to hijack, and this seemed most appropriate forum:

aliceinwonderland
06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
How exactly do you learn how to sew?? Is there a manual? Or do you have someone teach you? I know there's several talented mamas here and I am curious?

I'm determined to learn over Xmass but I do not have a sewing machine yet and i don't want to forget (I have a tiny attention span).

The extent of my ambition is to make very complicated drapery and maybe be able to alternate some of my dressy pants (being very short and all)...
e.

pritchettzoo
06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
It depends on you. My grandmother taught me on her treadle sewing machine (the old fashioned kind that runs when your feet pump the treadle) when I was small, and I taught myself how to use an electric years later. There are classes, books, and the sewing machine will come with a manual. If you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, you should probably take a class.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

JBaxter
06-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Some places ( they do around here anyway) offer classes where they sell sewing machines or quilting supplies. Do you have any small fabric stores in your area? Try there first.
Jeana

aliceinwonderland
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
That's the kind (the one you have to keep your feet moving) my grandma still has!! I think it's an old Chinese machine, but it still looks great :)

e.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Sewing is something that you either have a talent for or you don't. I had a half year of sewing in home economics class in grades 9-12 plus my mom used to make clothes and tried to help me learn to sew. She has the talent, but I don't.

Sewing machines and I just don't get along.

I would say take a class before you spend money on a sewing machine.

psophia17
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I learned to sew watching my Mom, who would give me projects (like making pocket-style washcloths from old towels) to get practice. When she though I was steady on the machine, I got a pattern for a ginormous nightgown, and made that out of an old king-size bedsheet she had. Then I made a bunch of Barbie clothes (it's tough making little tiny clothes!), and after that I was a decent sewer.

Then I took a class in costume design in college, and learned to use a serger and more about making patterns fit people...

But the real thing that will make you good at sewing is practice. Lots and lots of practice :)

ETC: typos - apparently I can sew, but not type :P

aliceinwonderland
06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm having my grandma and my mom's good friend (who made some adorable jon-jons for Erik) try and educate me over Christmass break.

I won't buy a machine first, that would be wasting my money if I move on to the next hobby!
I think my strategy of setting low expectations of myslef might just work :)

e.

KrisM
06-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Let me start by saying I am not a very good sewer. I can do basic things though. I took a beginning sewing class through community education. There were 5 classes. It gave the basic things we needed to know - how to read a pattern, choose material, etc. We made a pair of shorts, a t-shirt or nightgown,a nd a skirt with a zipper.

ktshea
06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Ditto on the class advice, or getting someone you know to show you how to do it. I know JoAnns has classes, but I haven't gone to those so can't say if they're good or not. I'm usually one for just jumping in to a project and learning as you go, but with sewing I found that route to be very frustrating (...lots of bad words and throwing of bobbins. DH still laughs when he thinks of it because I usually don't cuss a lot.). Anyway, good luck!