PDA

View Full Version : I bought Downy Advanced...what can I use it for again?

brigmaman
06-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I know it does something in the cd world. But what?

JBaxter
06-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Not sure but I think you can use it to soften you hemp...I bought some yesterday too and was getting ready to search for how much and on what...
Jeana

Logan 13 Connor 10 and Nathan is....
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031115/0/5/1/+10/.png[/img][/url]

kensjen
06-21-2005, 08:40 AM
It is the only fabric softener that really "works" with CDs. I use it for hemp, mainly, it softens it right up. I use it occasionally, maybe once every few washes, sometimes less. I use a very, very SMALL amount. In the rinse cycle, while the water is running, I take the cap from the DA and let it fill halfway or so with the water. I then pour in a small amount, like a tsp. Then I pour this in the wash. I usually do this twice. It is better to dilute it this way, as it will sometimes stain if poured directly on the diapers/clothing.

I never separate anything, although I know some people take out FB or other PUL. I haven't had a problem with it, but I do use a small amount and not every time. It has really made the difference with my diapers, they are softer now and seem in better shape. I can tell when they need a dose.

I also use it on towels now, it works wonderfully. HTH!

emelsea
06-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Why this and not other fabric softeners?

mudder17
06-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't think my Downy is the Advanced (although I don't remember), but I have used a tiny bit of softener to give my wipes a spa treatment. :) They feel so much softer and newer afterwards.

However, if DA softens up hemp, I'm all for trying it! I'll have to look for it next time I'm at the grocery store.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

KrisM
06-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I don't remember exactly, but it does something different to the fibers than other softeners.

I do the opposite of Jen. I put a small amount of DA in the cap and then hold it under the stream of water that is filling the washer. It still dilutes it and if I pour too much DA, I can put some back.

It makes nice and fluffy soft prefolds, too. I pull out fleece and pockets before I use it. I just have prefolds, wipes, and a couple hemp inserts in.

kensjen
06-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I don't know the science behind it, but DA is a different kind of fabric softeners. Other types will "coat" the fibers, and make the diapers lose absorbancy. This doesn't happen with DA. In fact, I feel like it has boosted my hemp to be more absorbant (that may just be in my head!).

Good idea Kris, to pour in DA first, so you know how much you are using. I just never measure anything, and just dump in whatever! I am bad about that! But I think the diluting is important!

HTH!

mudder17
06-22-2005, 06:28 PM
I just tried some. I was doing an extra cycle to get rid of the last of my detergent, so I added a tiny amount (less than the first line on the cap) in the detergent dispenser and added 2 extra caps of water to it. Since it enters the wash with water streaming through, it should be sufficiently diluted. I'll report back and see how it works (I removed my PUL and fleece liners, but diapers that were fleece lined I left in there. I'll be interested to see how it works. Hopefully it will work well--my hemp has been kind of stiff lately.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

brigmaman
06-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I just put my load into the dryer. But I didn't remove my PUL or fleece...maybe I should have.

cvharris
06-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Downy Advanced didn't work so well for us. I used a tiny small amount and rinsed several times but I felt like it coated our hemp and made it stinky. I think the difference might be that we have very hard water and it might work better with softer water? Biokleen products like Bac Out and their laundry detergent work wonderfully for us and I know others have had mixed results with that - I think it all depends on the type of water you have.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
Expecting #2 in December!

KrisM
06-23-2005, 07:20 AM
We have really hard water, too. I use about 1/2-2/3 cap of detergent just to get them clean! I use the DA or I get stiff diapers. I wonder what the difference is??

JBaxter
06-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Must be wash day. The afternoons thread will be ...did it work!
Jeana

brigmaman
06-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, so far so good. Everything is very soft and smells fresh. The dipes don't feel like they have that residue that fabric softener can leave. That said, I did use only a very tiny bit in the downy ball.

holliam
06-23-2005, 08:45 AM
We have super soft water, and I had some success with DA. I had a few very stiff used diapers that had what I would call "concrete crotch"... no better way to describe it! These were some of the Fuz Garden diapers with internal soakers.

A tiny bit of DA in the ball softened them right up, but I could not stand the chemical smell of DA at all. We use Allen's Naturally detergent so anything remotely perfumed just completely overwhelms my senses.

I just re-sold those diapers so I didn't have to deal with it.

I haven't really had any hemp stiffness with my new diapers washed in my soft water.

Holli

JBaxter
06-23-2005, 12:45 PM
I couldnt tell a difference w/ or without