PDA

View Full Version : Any mamas here crochet??

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 11:13 AM
And if so, have you attempted to do shorts and such for your little one?

My problem is that I can't read crochet books/guides, as I was taught just by doing from my grandma. So, if I see a doily, table-cloth, blanket, etc. I CAN do it(and have made many) from just seeing the pattern and going along, but could not do this from a book...Let alone 3 dimensional things (such as baby slippers, for example, can't do those!

Should I even attemt this?? I have a feeling I'll get frustrated (esp. with no pattern in hand) and mail the whole thing off to grandma to finish (so bad!)

Any ideas are appreciated!
e.

mmaimp
07-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I just made this one. I know you said you don't do patterns but this is kind of make your own pattern. It's one dimensional till the end. I did change some of it around to look like other soaker's I've seen. It took me a few tries and my finished one is not perfect but usable and cute!

My computer messes up on the anglefire sites so if you want the directions and how I altered them let me know. I think you can do it if it's my first project after not crocheting in 15+ years.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mothershelpinghands/crochetedsoaker.html

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
That's very useful..I found another site with free patterns and when you posted I was trying to decipher the acronyms there (I'm THAT ignorant, LOL)

Now, to decipher the new acronyms here...I like it that it's one-dimensional till the very end. I can do one dimesional!!

e.

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
basically and then fold?? I can't envison that at all!!

bummer.

mmaimp
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Can I type out what I did without the abbreviations? It's like a butt sweater. If you search for instructions on them you may be able to see what to do.

mommd
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
It is hard to imagine, but actually comes together quite easily at the end. It is really similar to making a soaker from a sweater. Try using a towel and folding into a triangle so you can see how it comes together. Good luck!

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
I'd be grateful forever!! LOL!

But I think I get the make a triangle part--it's the rest that has me totally baffled.

You are so nice to offer to help on this, I appreciate it!!

e.

mmaimp
07-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I'll write them out & post tonight.

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
awesome since I'll start this weekend :)

pritchettzoo
07-01-2005, 05:00 PM
The pattern from http://hyenacart.com/DandelionDreamers/ is easy. It only uses one or two basic stitches--single and double crochets (well, and chain stitching to start).

I like this site for learning new stitches, so if you don't know the names you could watch the videos of the stitches to associate them with the names: http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html

If you search in MDC's yarn craft forum for crochet soaker, you'll get a few more options.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mmaimp
07-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Sorry it took me this long. The boys were up to late tonight.

For crochet:
Measure baby's waist and hips including the diaper.

Chain 7
Single crochet in the 2nd chain from hook and in all the chains across, chain 1 and turn
*Single crochet in each single crochet across in BACK LOOPS ONLY (instead of putting hook under 2 pieces of yarn put through only one), chain 1 and turn
Repeat from * until piece is 3" smaller than baby's waist measurement.

Determine your gauge (number of stitches per inch) by crocheting a small swatch with the wool and hook you will be using. Multiply your gauge by the hip measurement and dc that amount along the long edge of your ribbing.

For example:
19" x 3sc per inch = double crochet 57 along the long edge of ribbing. (I just hooked through the edge and tried to be even, it seems like a lot of stitches but you need them to go over the hips)

Chain 1 and turn. Single crochet in each single crochet across.
Turn but DO NOT chain 1 first.
You will continue from this point on working 1single crochet in each single crochet across and turning at the end WITHOUT chaining 1. DO NOT single crochet in the turning point. This will decrease one in each row. Keep working in this manner until all of the stitches are consumed and you have a large triangle.

Fold diaper style and stitch halfway down the sides to form leg holes. Measure around your little cherub's leg and work a piece of ribbing as above until you have the measurement of the leg. Seam this together and stitch into place where the leg hole is. Repeat to make the ribbing for the other leg. (leg ribbing optional)

Instead of making another piece to attach I stitched one side of the triangle closed with single crochets and then when the leg hole was the correct size I doubled crochet around the opening twice. Then on the other side I single crocheted from the waistband down and then doubled crocheted twice around the leg holes. This way I did not have to attach extra pieces and I like the way it looks too.

Crochet a chain twice the starting measurement and thread through the double crochet row under the ribbing.

I had to make mine a few times and it’s still not exactly right. The rise is too big for my little guy but he has a big waist for his age. I hope the picture help; maybe you can see the stitches and work from there.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/mmaimp/DSCN3104.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/mmaimp/DSCN3105.jpg

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 09:28 PM
thanks so much for taking the time to type all that AND post pictures...

I still am not 100% clear but I think once i get started I'll see it...This definately helps!!

e.

mmaimp
07-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Your welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions. I can send you other pics if you want tomorrow. I have a few that I posted with DS #2 wearing them but then took them down because of the other posts.

aliceinwonderland
07-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I will. I have recruited both DH and MIL to help me with this...None of them crochet(LOL), but they are more imaginative with hands-on stuff that I am...And I bought the yarn, pretty brown/gray wool :)

e.