PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning washer - how often?

calebsmama03
07-09-2005, 06:23 PM
I used to clean my washer (per diaper hyena instructions) maybe every 6 mos but lately it is so gross! I've cleaned it twice in 4 mos and it's funky already :( Is it normal to need to clean it this much?? When my mom was here she ran an empty hot cycle with a cup bleach to disinfect it and it is funkier than ever now!! It was so bad that MIL hinted she didn't want me to use cloth while I'm at her house next week :( I have a TL if it matters??
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

jec2
07-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Wow, I've never cleaned our washer (well, it really isn't "ours" b/c we share with the other apts.) but that just doesn't sound right that yours is getting stinky. Can you get somebody to come look at it? It just doesn't seem like normal use even with cloth dipes would render a washer so funkadellic smelling. There has jsut got to be something else going on, don't you think?

calebsmama03
07-09-2005, 10:18 PM
ugh - that's what i was afraid of...

we're selling the house and planning to leave the washer here so is it awful of me to just ignore it/temporarily fix it??
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

SeekerMage
07-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Have you tried opening the top up? The top part should pop up. Could be that a wipe, sock or something fell between the drum and is getting stinky that way....I have never done it myself, but I know it can be done. Not only that but per MIL its the number one reason for fires, stuff getting caught in the washer....ya wonder what happens to those socks right? now ya know. Just an idea, maybe try a vinegar and baking soda wash instead, sometimes bleach just doesnt do it.

babyready
07-10-2005, 08:22 AM
I would check the diaper hyena site. On the page with the washing machine washing directions there is a recommendation of what to check if the smell remains after cleaning with baking soda and vinegar. It does involve removing the front of the washer.

HTH!

emelsea
07-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Mine was the same way last month, and I filled the tub to the XL water level, dumped in a WHOLE jug of bleach, and let it sit for a couple hours. After that, I was very diligent about not letting a load of wash sit in there (my washer and dryer are in the basement, so sometimes I forget about it).

starrynight
07-12-2005, 06:07 PM
When mine gets icky I use a rag with some baking soda sprinkled on it and scrub down the tub then I fill it to the top with hot water, do a heavy wash (so the most rinses and washes it can do) and put some vinegar and baking soda in there. Once every 6 months I use some bleach, same thing empty hot and heavy wash cycle. I have a top loader also.

If even bleach can't get it clean I would suggest moving the washer away from the wall and making sure it's not something behind the washer that is funky, leaking water or something.

Is it just a funky smell in the laundry area or is stuff coming out of the washer nasty smelling? It does sound like something is wrong though, because I never had to clean mine that often, I do because I know I wash dipes in it but I've really only *had* to clean it because it was really nasty and funky once. Once in awhile it gets icky still but not that really foul make you want to toss it out smell!